Best Rangers atmosphere you've experienced?

1 minute ago, jim white's a bear said:

Marseille were some team, Pele was another brilliant player. That bastard boli was in the same team

They were. They could have won that Champions League without cheating as they had the talent. Frank Sauzee too.

Was Papin playing for them at that time? I forget if he was.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

They were. They could have won that Champions League without cheating as they had the talent. Frank Sauzee too.

Was Papin playing for them at that time? I forget if he was.

Haha, had a look at the teams in the final with AC (papin on the bench for ac), I miss those days.

Marseille:

GK1 Fabien Barthez 70'

RB2 Jocelyn Angloma 62'

LB3 Éric Di Meco 31'

SW4 Basile Boli 56'

CM5 Franck Sauzée

CB6 Marcel Desailly

CB7 Jean-Jacques Eydelie

CF8 Alen Bokšić

CF9 Rudi Völler 79'

RM10 Abedi Pele

LM11 Didier Deschamps (c)

Substitutes:

MF12 Jean-Christophe Thomas 79'

DF13 Bernard Casoni

MF14 Jean-Philippe Durand 62'

FW15 Jean-Marc Ferreri

GK16 Pascal Olmeta

Manager:

Raymond Goethals

Milan:

GK1 Sebastiano Rossi

RB2 Mauro Tassotti

LB3 Paolo Maldini

CM4 Demetrio Albertini

CB5 Alessandro Costacurta

CB6 Franco Baresi (c)

RM7 Gianluigi Lentini 39'

CM8 Frank Rijkaard

CF9 Marco van Basten 86'

LM10 Roberto Donadoni 58'

CF11 Daniele Massaro

Substitutes:

GK12 Carlo Cudicini

DF13 Stefano Nava

MF14 Stefano Eranio 86'

MF15 Alberigo Evani

FW16 Jean-Pierre Papin 58'

Manager:

Fabio Capello

Leeds home was immense.  However, loudest I have ever heard our fans was the cup final 93 (Aberdeen at the Piggery).  Culmination of a fantastic treble winning season with great European run to boot.  Place was absolutely rocking that day.

Definitely the Battle of Britain Leeds game - you could feel the ground beneath your feet moving the noise was unbelievable.

Also at Hamdump after Ian Durrant's being assaulted, again v the sheep, Skol Cup maybe? the hatred was boiling that day, I honestly thought at one point someone would go on the pitch and end Simpson

Original helicopter Sunday in the 03 season. Last game at Ibrox v Dunfermline with Sellic also playing at the same time in Killie it was down to who scored more.

That day, drama, tension, fear and air of expectation, hope and sheer joy. It can not and will never be replicated and was an absolute joy to experience that amazing feeling topped off with winning an incredible record breaking title.......what football is all about.

14 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

I know you have a point but I honestly think that if Smith set out a team to bulldoze them in attack they'd have hammered us. Guys like Deschamps, Boksic and Voller in their prime against guys like John Brown, David Robertson, Dave McPherson, Stuart McCall, Pietr Huistra, Ian Ferguson etc .. our strength was being a solid unit and organised not trying to outclass teams like Marseille. 

Regarding atmosphere Man United at Ibrox in the Champions League in 2003 and Sheffield Wed away a few years ago are right up there for me. 

Agree with you to some extent about Marseille.  However, I thought we really missed an opportunity not pushing for the win in Marseille after we equalised.  We were really passive in the last half hour, thought we settled for the draw hoping that the last round of games may work in our favour. If we had went for it we may well have got picked off by them but we will never have better chance to make the Euro final.  

Just now, Ibroxholm said:

Agree with you to some extent about Marseille.  However, I thought we really missed an opportunity not pushing for the win in Marseille after we equalised.  We were really passive in the last half hour, thought we settled for the draw hoping that the last round of games may work in our favour. If we had went for it we may well have got picked off by them but we will never have better chance to make the Euro final.  

McCoist missed an absolute sitter did he not that would have sent us through to the final? 

25 minutes ago, jim white's a bear said:

Haha, had a look at the teams in the final with AC (papin on the bench for ac), I miss those days.

Marseille:

GK1 Fabien Barthez 70'

RB2 Jocelyn Angloma 62'

LB3 Éric Di Meco 31'

SW4 Basile Boli 56'

CM5 Franck Sauzée

CB6 Marcel Desailly

CB7 Jean-Jacques Eydelie

CF8 Alen Bokšić

CF9 Rudi Völler 79'

RM10 Abedi Pele

LM11 Didier Deschamps (c)

Substitutes:

MF12 Jean-Christophe Thomas 79'

DF13 Bernard Casoni

MF14 Jean-Philippe Durand 62'

FW15 Jean-Marc Ferreri

GK16 Pascal Olmeta

Manager:

Raymond Goethals

Milan:

GK1 Sebastiano Rossi

RB2 Mauro Tassotti

LB3 Paolo Maldini

CM4 Demetrio Albertini

CB5 Alessandro Costacurta

CB6 Franco Baresi (c)

RM7 Gianluigi Lentini 39'

CM8 Frank Rijkaard

CF9 Marco van Basten 86'

LM10 Roberto Donadoni 58'

CF11 Daniele Massaro

Substitutes:

GK12 Carlo Cudicini

DF13 Stefano Nava

MF14 Stefano Eranio 86'

MF15 Alberigo Evani

FW16 Jean-Pierre Papin 58'

Manager:

Fabio Capello

I honestly think we'd have had a shout against even that Milan team if we hadn't been cheated out of getting to the final.

23 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I honestly think we'd have had a shout against even that Milan team if we hadn't been cheated out of getting to the final.

We were fucked with the 3 player foreign rule at the time, meaning we had to play shitey scottish players. Both italy and france had much better home grown players (or from ex colonies)

edit, found an old story and guess who's name is in there http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/relief-at-end-of-foreigner-rule-1526032.html

33 minutes ago, jim white's a bear said:

We were fucked with the 3 player foreign rule at the time, meaning we had to play shitey scottish players. Both italy and france had much better home grown players (or from ex colonies)

edit, found an old story and guess who's name is in there http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/relief-at-end-of-foreigner-rule-1526032.html

I know but we took Marseille right to the edge despite Tapie's bribing of officials. Marseille only beat Milan narrowly in the final so who's to say what might have been.

Pre match build up maybe Villarreal, Porto 3-2 after Soti scored was special as well. 

Against the taigs, 3-2, 2012 was immense, scudding them 3-0 when wee Novo scored 2 was good as well. 

So many different games have a special atmosphere for different reasons. we haven't witnessed anything close to these games in years

A remember,well vaguely the Parma 2-0 game, a was behind goal to the left with my brother when Vidmar scored, am sure we played them twice in Europe not too long apart,a remember having to get a half day because we played them away about two in the afternoon or something,we got beat as well, but the Parma 2-0 was a good bounce and sing song for me and thousands that night:dance:

3 hours ago, K.A.I said:

I know you have a point but I honestly think that if Smith set out a team to bulldoze them in attack they'd have hammered us. Guys like Deschamps, Boksic and Voller in their prime against guys like John Brown, David Robertson, Dave McPherson, Stuart McCall, Pietr Huistra, Ian Ferguson etc .. our strength was being a solid unit and organised not trying to outclass teams like Marseille. 

Regarding atmosphere Man United at Ibrox in the Champions League in 2003 and Sheffield Wed away a few years ago are right up there for me. 

This for me. Could be mistaken, but I'm sure the club laid out cards that had the lyrics to Blue Sea of Ibrox to them for that game too. I'd heard the song on the CDs we'd play on the way to games, but that was the first time I heard  the whole stadium singing it.