Pedro looking to play to Garners strengths

Guest Lloyd72

Guest Lloyd72

PEDRO Caixinha says he is looking to exploit Joe Garner’s aerial presence next season by focussing on the wide areas of the pitch.

The Rangers boss thinks the striker can thrive if he is supplied properly and he believes the former Preston man has proven that in his last two games by heading in from pin point crosses.

Garner has scored 10 goals this season with seven coming in the second half of the campaign and Caixinha wants to work to his strengths.

The manager told RangersTV: “You only know the players when you work with them on a daily basis and you start knowing the patterns from the players who can give it to you and their strengths and weaknesses as well.

“Joe can help any team because he is a goalscorer if the ball gets into the box.

“If we are not attacking properly, and getting the ball into the box in different ways rather than from the wide areas then Joe will be there but he won’t receive the ball.

“In the last two games the balls have arrived on the exact spot he likes to be and he likes to attack. He feels fantastic in that part of the pitch and he can score goals there.

“If we have a team who can work and spend more time on the surrounds of the box and the ball arrives more with more quality in the box then he will score more goals for sure.”

With the Portuguese looking for a reshuffle over the summer he is eyeing targets who could compliment a target man like Garner.

He explained:

“We are looking to have much more association with the wide areas next season and increase those combinations.

“We are looking for the arrival of totally different sorts of players to perform in that zone of the park.

“I want a team who can change the pattern by playing inside, playing behind and switch the play.

“We want to play in the wide areas; we want a better relationship between the wingers and the full-backs and between shadow strikers and strikers.

“So we want all those type of relationships to improve but definitely we want to play more in the wide areas.”

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

PEDRO Caixinha says he is looking to exploit Joe Garner’s aerial presence next season by focussing on the wide areas of the pitch.

The Rangers boss thinks the striker can thrive if he is supplied properly and he believes the former Preston man has proven that in his last two games by heading in from pin point crosses.

Garner has scored 10 goals this season with seven coming in the second half of the campaign and Caixinha wants to work to his strengths.

The manager told RangersTV: “You only know the players when you work with them on a daily basis and you start knowing the patterns from the players who can give it to you and their strengths and weaknesses as well.

“Joe can help any team because he is a goalscorer if the ball gets into the box.

“If we are not attacking properly, and getting the ball into the box in different ways rather than from the wide areas then Joe will be there but he won’t receive the ball.

“In the last two games the balls have arrived on the exact spot he likes to be and he likes to attack. He feels fantastic in that part of the pitch and he can score goals there.

“If we have a team who can work and spend more time on the surrounds of the box and the ball arrives more with more quality in the box then he will score more goals for sure.”

With the Portuguese looking for a reshuffle over the summer he is eyeing targets who could compliment a target man like Garner.

He explained:

“We are looking to have much more association with the wide areas next season and increase those combinations.

“We are looking for the arrival of totally different sorts of players to perform in that zone of the park.

“I want a team who can change the pattern by playing inside, playing behind and switch the play.

“We want to play in the wide areas; we want a better relationship between the wingers and the full-backs and between shadow strikers and strikers.

“So we want all those type of relationships to improve but definitely we want to play more in the wide areas.”

Put the ball on the boys heed, 9/10 he will score fs! Warburton couldnt work this out for some reason!

Guest Lloyd72

If we're looking to get the ball in the box more often with better quality of crosses then we should play McKay on the right, let him beat his man and swing it in instead of cutting inside so often if we're gonna play him wide have him play like a wide man

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, born a blue nose said:

Then he gets man marked oot the game and we are Fucked. 

Aberdeen tried to last game at ibrox, they had big Considine on him every time and he never got near the ball despite being about 7 inches taller than garner

9 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

If we're looking to get the ball in the box more often with better quality of crosses then we should play McKay on the right, let him beat his man and swing it in instead of cutting inside so often if we're gonna play him wide have him play like a wide man

I've thought this since we signed Garner, play a right footer on the right and a left footer on the left and get decent balls into the box. It's not rocket science. 

Guest Lloyd72
2 minutes ago, Cobham said:

I've thought this since we signed Garner, play a right footer on the right and a left footer on the left and get decent balls into the box. It's not rocket science. 

I thought we looked decent with Dodoo on the left and McKay on the right last game, stick Miller in behind Garner to run onto his flick ons and pick up his rebounds, it could work well imo.

3 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

I thought we looked decent with Dodoo on the left and McKay on the right last game, stick Miller in behind Garner to run onto his flick ons and pick up his rebounds, it could work well imo.

Just keep Tav out of McKay's way and he'll be fine. 

9 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

The Wallace McKay overlap didn't work so well, as I think McKay likes his own space to work in, so give him the freedom to do it.

He isn't anywhere near being as good as Mark Hateley, but there was some things he did in the last match which reminded me of Hateley- when he jumps and knocks the ball down he is very good for someone to run on to; maybe a playing partner like that would be a good thing. If only Josh Windass had connected with some of those balls a bit better, particularly in the first half. In the second half he played slightly differently, and had one cross which nearly came off for a goal. He has a bit more variety to his game than he is given credit for.

21 minutes ago, Lloyd72 said:

I just can't get on board with Dodoo. If you get him inside the box, 1 on 1 with a defender he does reasonably well to make a yard and get a shot away but I haven't seen anything else from him that excites me. He's slow as shit and doesn't seem interested in working hard or contesting for the ball. 

Anyway, I agree that wingers on their natural side with someone a bit more technical or skilful behind Garner would work. 

28 minutes ago, Cobham said:

I just can't get on board with Dodoo. If you get him inside the box, 1 on 1 with a defender he does reasonably well to make a yard and get a shot away but I haven't seen anything else from him that excites me. He's slow as shit and doesn't seem interested in working hard or contesting for the ball. 

Anyway, I agree that wingers on their natural side with someone a bit more technical or skilful behind Garner would work. 

Disagree. I think when he gets the ball in an advanced area he beats his man maybe 8 times out of 10. 

Final ball is not always great, but he is a threat. 

1 hour ago, giffnockger said:

Put the ball on the boys heed, 9/10 he will score fs! Warburton couldnt work this out for some reason!

The way we played under Warburton was never going to suit Garners style of play, makes it even stranger that he signed him in the 1st place?