Transfer activity summer 98/99

This photo was doing the rounds on one of the Facebook pages tonight and what a summer of activity it was! The good old days! 

If you could only take three for the current team who would you take? 

1. Arthur Numan - unbelievably solid full back who knew what it was to be a Ranger the moment he stepped through the door and was class on and off the pitch. 

2. GVB - I was young at the time but I remember him being absolutely effortless, technically brilliant, great eye for a pass and had a lethal strike on him. Went onto win the champions league. 

3. As much as it pains me to leave out Stefan Klos who the biggest compliment I could pay to him is that he's best we've had since Gorman, I'd have to go with Neil McCann for my third. Gave us some of our best moments including that final goal the day he skipped round the Keeper at the piggery when we won the league, goosebumps. Put the cross in for Lovenkrands in the cup final and just generally was a great little winger for us. Always wanted the ball and tried to make things happen is possession, didn't come to us as a Ranger but we certainly left our mark on him.

spghat.png

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Purely based on what I think our current team needs I'd go with Moore, GVB and Wallace. Dominant players down the spine of the team that are proven quality. They aren't the best 3 players on the list but they would be ideal to start building the rest of a title winning side around. 

5 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

Purely based on what I think our current team needs I'd go with Moore, GVB and Wallace. Dominant players down the spine of the team that are proven quality. They aren't the best 3 players on the list but they would be ideal to start building the rest of a title winning side around. 

Was tempted to pick Moore as well. He's probably still a better defender today than what we have.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Was tempted to pick Moore as well. He's probably still a better defender today than what we have.

Terrific player for us, a little underrated at times I tend to find. Didn't have the best of starts to his career but after his return from loan went in to be a highly consistent, dependable centre back and had a great partnership with big Amo.

Youre right though, I'd have him in beside Hill tomorrow night if I could!! 

5 minutes ago, KBOO72 said:

Terrific player for us, a little underrated at times I tend to find. Didn't have the best of starts to his career but after his return from loan went in to be a highly consistent, dependable centre back and had a great partnership with big Amo.

Youre right though, I'd have him in beside Hill tomorrow night if I could!! 

He wasn't away on loan - we got Moore back as Palace couldn't afford the rest of the transfer fee as they were going tits up. If they'd had paid it all up front, we'd never have had the Amo & Moore partnership that did well for us for the best part of four years. Weird how things work out. 

2 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

He wasn't away on loan - we got Moore back as Palace couldn't afford the rest of the transfer fee as they were going tits up. If they'd had paid it all up front, we'd never have had the Amo & Moore partnership that did well for us for the best part of four years. Weird how things work out. 

I stand corrected..... Said the man in the orthopaedic shoe. 

28 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Klos and Charbonnier weren't signed in the same window.

Moore and Reyna weren't signed that summer either.

It's actually 2 seasons worth of transfers. Not 1 summer.

But anyway,

Klos, Numan & McCann.

There wasn't a transfer window back then until something like May. You could buy players all year. Reyna was signed just before the end of that season if I remember correctly 

13 minutes ago, williamcarvel9 said:

There wasn't a transfer window back then until something like May. You could buy players all year. Reyna was signed just before the end of that season if I remember correctly 

Reyna was signed in April '99. He was actually bought from Leverkusen as well, a small payment was made to Wolfsburg because he terminated a 2 year loan there to join us.