Pedro when did you ever see a zone score a goal

I think he's very much improved our defence on set pieces. I'm not a big fan of zonal marking myself but every time a corner came in under Warburton there was a good chance it was going in the back of the net. Now i feel far more confident that we will be able to defend it. 

7 hours ago, Ace said:

I've been saying it for weeks, zones don't score goals so why are we marking space using players who I don't believe are capable of understanding the principle or practices requires to carry it out.

Tonights a perfect example, 3 players left up field & defenders marking thier zone on the 6yrd line while leaving a huge space on the 18yrd line for Aberdeen to pick up every 2nd ball 

Spot on mate.Allows their players a free run at the ball hence gathering a greater momentum plus unopposed possession on any ball knocked out our box.We had a zone on our 6 yard box,3 forwards on the half way line and fuck all in between.

Still we don't have all the fancy coaching badges so what do we know eh?!!!

14 hours ago, Ace said:

I've been saying it for weeks, zones don't score goals so why are we marking space using players who I don't believe are capable of understanding the principle or practices requires to carry it out.

Tonights a perfect example, 3 players left up field & defenders marking thier zone on the 6yrd line while leaving a huge space on the 18yrd line for Aberdeen to pick up every 2nd ball 

For me zonal marking is more when you have players that cannot man mark to save themself and unfortunately that's what we have at the back.

Under Warburton we man marked and how many times did we talk about players losing their man. You can't lose a zone however.

The only issue is that opposition players get the run on our defence and therefore carry more momentum with a running jump rather than a standing jump.

Ideally we'd have defenders who had good positional awareness, the ability to mark and the ability to challenge mid air and win the ball.

15 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

For some on here you are not allowed to criticise unless you have a greater number (unspecified) of posts although I've never understood why the reticence in them to accept a valid point no matter your posting history.

This.

no idea why people jump all over "low" posters. Surely everyone started off with zero posts?

5 minutes ago, Bjorklund said:

This.

no idea why people jump all over "low" posters. Surely everyone started off with zero posts?

Spot on mate been a season ticket holder at ibrox for 24 years man and boy but can't wait to get my status up to club legend so I can then prove to myself and  the world I'm finally a bear , fucking nonsense 

Just now, Cedrick said:

Spot on mate been a season ticket holder at ibrox for 24 years man and boy but can't wait to get my status up to club legend so I can then prove to myself and  the world I'm finally a bear , fucking nonsense 

I average about a post a year ha ha but that was due to extenuating circumstances.

10 minutes ago, Bjorklund said:

I average about a post a year ha ha but that was due to extenuating circumstances.

A post a year ????? Hope partick pump yeez the night and yer fish is rank rotten the morra ya tadger ???

1 hour ago, Cedrick said:

A post a year ????? Hope partick pump yeez the night and yer fish is rank rotten the morra ya tadger ???

Sorry I took so long to reply the priest wanted some 1on1 time after mass.

How many goals have we conceeded as a direct result of zonal marking, and how many have been down to individual errors (or a series of)?

(And given the ability of the players to track runners in open play, what suggests they could actually man mark anyone?)

18 minutes ago, blueredandwhite said:

There's a Singing Kettle song to made of this thread title, i'm sure of it... "Have you ever seen a zone score a goal!"

Spout handle lid of metal, whats INside the ops Kettle. I hope ITs not a shite.

Pedro is a madman if he thinks this is the way to defend. Watching us last night, McKay and Dodoo on the wings and Garner in the middle, 3 players taken out the equation already. And don't forgot all the sheep players lurking outside the box ready to pick up any loose balls without a Rangers player on them.

4 hours ago, Bjorklund said:

This.

Fuk off, you just don't know the Mods. buy one of them a pint and you start with 500 posts

OR

do what the taigs do, go to the OT, post shite in a sea of excrement and get your count up.    :whistle:

Zonal and man both have positives and negatives. Mind several times in recent years seeing players getting blocked off from their man resulting in goals scored against a man marking system. 

Players with height and strength and that can head a ball are the important thing.