Sack The Manager etc

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

If there was ever any truth in the De Boer stuff he'd be here or we'd at least have just left Murty in charge for the season if he didn't want to come till the summer

I don't see much encouragement with Pedro and I don't want us to leave it as long as Warburton was left if next season is looking completely hopeless, but I'm realistic that aside from it looking a bit ridiculous we simply can't afford to experiment with managers and change them every few months. Clubs that are known for that like Chelsea and Real Madrid have no problem doing it because paying people off and tempting new people isn't an issue

I agree with all of that; and it only highlights the fact that the problems at the club are beyond merely changing the manager.

As I see it Pedro was brought in early with the fundamental tasks of (1) trying to recover to 2nd place; (2) obtain European football for next season; (3) assess the players and decide who is fit to stay and who is not and must therefore go; and (4) quickly build a far more credible title-challenging team for next season including providing a list of players to be brought in to achieve this.

(1) has not worked out.  (2) has bee achieved. (3) assessment is complete (as I understand it) and players are being told their fate.  (4) is ahead of us.

As I also see it he's used the games to do a few things.   One is to see for himself who is likely to be a player who can consistently deliver 7 or better out of 10 next season.   The answer is probably very few.    The other is to put the players under more pressure by publicly declaring the sort of characteristics he is looking for in football 'men' (as he puts it).   He's criticised the lack of ability to compete properly, to win 2nd balls, to defend properly and so on.   The players have had a number of games now to either raise their performance or heads down and shrink, or try hard but in doing so it is no less evident that they just have not got what it needs.     A sort of 'this is what you do now do it and if you don't or can't then your opportunity to play at Rangers next season lessens if they can't be offloaded or evaporates when they leave'.   And so we reach the end of the assessment process and players go.    Those who should be going but can't be shifted on might find themselves on the very edges of first team football until their contracts expire or they come to a mutually agreed end......they would not be 'core' players.    Those who come in will of course come under immense scrutiny as will the manager to see if he actually can forge a much more competitive and 'proper' Rangers side.

The Board has taken a chance in employing Pedro over some Scottish alternative, or a POPO (passed over and pissed off) former manager.     Appointing a manager in these times of recovery is risky.  Warburton, Weir and McP was a risk that paid off in getting out of the Championship but then turned into a nightmare with the Cup Final followed by this season's dire performances and then their rat-like escape to Forest.   

Pedro is a gamble.    But unless there is a change of Board I cannot see that they can do anything other than back him.  Whether it will be with enough transfer money is about to be seen.   Whether Pedro can bring in players who are much much better than the Warburton weaklings is also to be seen.   A change of manager now when the work is still to be done to dismantle the Warburton legacy and rebuild for next season does not seem to me to be an action the Board is likely to consider.    They will let this play out.  It's all they can do.

There is very understandably a fair bit of hand grenade reaction to the very bad OF results and now the Aberdeen game.    I'm no advocate of King and his Board - far from it - but right now I can't see any other option for them to carry on with Pedro and follow the general rule of thumb that just about every time you go against making a panic decision or action, you will be right if you stick it out.    As  generality that's fine.......but this is football.............more than that this is Rangers..........so it'd take quite a bit of holding nerves over the next few months to see what sort of team Pedro manages to assemble for next season, and how well they do over the first part of next season.    

8 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I agree with all of that; and it only highlights the fact that the problems at the club are beyond merely changing the manager.

Of course, I was relieved when Warburton went because I think he was actually taking the piss out of us by then but I never felt that was going to automatically solve everything

My season ticket renewal really has been done out of loyalty this time rather than out of any anticipation

1 hour ago, Blue Avenger said:

Without adequate funding or the real magic hat, he or any other manager are destined for failure. The best we can expect is improving on the points gap, as we will be challenging for nothing for the foreseeable future. I do get the impression that some are actually expecting to challenge for the title, but are afraid to be upfront about it and I don't blame them, because that is a wholly unrealistic expectation under this board.

You know my position on our board B A and it is concerning that our fate is in their hands in the transfer window, we can only hope they find a reasonable amount to buy players because we have been left with so many poor ones from the M W time.

I think we have to believe we can compete next season, as Big Marv said keep believing. The Rangers men who have so far been a disaster must surely be in the last chance saloon even for there biggest supporters. 

I just hope Pedro can prove he can turn our team around, he already has many of fans who have lost faith in him.

Just now, simplythebest said:

Of course, I was relieved when Warburton went because I think he was actually taking the piss out of us by then but I never felt that was going to automatically solve everything

My season ticket renewal really has been done out of loyalty this time rather than out of any anticipation

I'd rather Warburton with a vision, a long term plan that makes use of Auchenhowie etc, than what we are seeing right now. Preferably to all that, I would rather FDB and a budget to have us going for the title next season; signing the best players in the league, and going on from there.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

I'd rather Warburton with a vision, a long term plan that makes use of Auchenhowie etc, than what we are seeing right now. Preferably to all that, I would rather FDB and a budget to have us going for the title next season; signing the best players in the league, and going on from there.

Yeah I just think Warburton turned out to not be the visionary we thought he was initially but not much point going over that ground again

If there really was a guarantee of someone like De Boer wanting to come then I'd go for it myself, otherwise we're looking at someone like McInnes who isn't guaranteed to be better then what we've had recently so it would be another gamble and an expensive one by the time we'd got rid of the current staff and brought in all the new ones

Yeah I just think Warburton turned out to not be the visionary we thought he was initially but not much point going over that ground again

If there really was a guarantee of someone like De Boer wanting to come then I'd go for it myself, otherwise we're looking at someone like McInnes who isn't guaranteed to be better then what we've had recently so it would be another gamble and an expensive one by the time we'd got rid of the current staff and brought in all the new ones

I think that's where we are at. Just as I was against removing Warburton for someone who isn't better, it's the same with Caixinha, and you probably have reminded me of that important point. I'm also not a fan of McInnes as a manger anyway, and don't believe he is the answer to where we are.

8 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I think that's where we are at. Just as I was against removing Warburton for someone who isn't better, it's the same with Caixinha, and you probably have reminded me of that important point. I'm also not a fan of McInnes as a manger anyway, and don't believe he is the answer to where we are.

I think things had moved on with Warburton to the extent where he didn't want to be here himself and he had largely failed with the transfer windows he was given, limited budget yes but frankly we need managers that can work well with limited budgets right now

As I mentioned earlier I don't want Caixinha to be left for that long if next season is looking like being as miserable as this one, I just don't think there's much point getting rid right now unless there's a stand out candidate available

6 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Said before he came it was a fuckin ridiculous signing and was shot down by the resident experts. 

A new manager should be given time and his own signings , but we cannot build another complete squad of duds like the last two managers did , and if this guy is allowed to stay thats exactly whats going to happen.

There is no such thing as resident experts on here , only people who call an individual a fud and such like for daring to disagree with their opinions or shock horror you dare to post something these idiots deem pish . 

1 minute ago, simplythebest said:

I think things had moved on with Warburton to the extent where he didn't want to be here himself and he had largely failed with the transfer windows he was given, limited budget yes but frankly we need managers that can work well with limited budgets right now

As I mentioned earlier I don't want Caixinha to be left for that long if next season is looking like being as miserable as this one, I just don't think there's much point getting rid right now unless there's a stand out candidate available

If I thought he was likely to fail next season and not last long into it I'd think that could be worse than replacing him now. In saying that, I am more inclined to agree with you.

2 hours ago, Blue Avenger said:

Unless we have the budget to match, then no one is challenging them. Not now, not for the foreseeble future. They are arming themselves for the CL, that much is very clear and dominating this backwater only a byproduct of that.

You want to shout, then shout at the board as they are the root cause of who and what we now are. PC is just another in a long line of patsies for this board.

if you read my quoted thread you'll see that's exactly whoi'm pointing the finger at - the board. But Caixinha is not up to the job even if he had a mass budget IMO.

10 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

If I thought he was likely to fail next season and not last long into it I'd think that could be worse than replacing him now. In saying that, I am more inclined to agree with you.

Mainly it's because I believe there's as much chance of the likely replacements failing as well and knowing that another change will be pouring further money down the drain at a time where we seem skint as it is

Mainly it's because I believe there's as much chance of the likely replacements failing as well and knowing that another change will be pouring further money down the drain at a time where we seem skint as it is

It's a very good point actually. Not an ideal situation, but as you say it's futile if no real alternative is out there.

The overall problem lies with the board and not the average managers they bring in, they have no money therefore have no right to be running Rangers, as Rangers are a club that requires a squad costing about £30 million to win the SPL and compete in Europe. You just need to look back at our winning squads and currently at the scum squad, it's not rocket science to work that one out.

We are going nowhere with this board and if the court cases go badly, nowhere is where we will stay.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

Mate see this agenda talk, he's giving the media and rivals all sorts of ammo on a plate. The past couple days he done Aberdeen's team talk for them with his crap about the team .. have you seen the pish he's been saying now about McInnes wants his job and apparently not letting McInnes into his office after the game? ... there's no media witch-hunt against the guy but I'll tell you something there should be and help get him right out the door.

There's no media witch hunt against the guy? Maybe there isn't but your not wet behind the ears, your savvy enough to know how the media work up here and they are giving Pedro enough rope to hang himself with regards to questions asked = headlines. Maybe someone from the club should be opening his eyes to this. 

I don't think he done Aberdeens team talk for them at all. Football does work in cycles and Aberdeens current team, one which has been together a few years now is inevitably going to start breaking up. It obviously hit a nerve with McInnes but hearing Pedro speak the truth is better than hearing Warburtons draining soundbites.

Again, I reckon McInnes did want his job. Sounds like you have more respect for McInnes than our current manager for some reason? Fuck him. Watching him jump around the touchline last night over the smallest wee things made my skin crawl.

2 hours ago, K.A.I said:

What's McInnes done wrong exactly? having the audacity to be happy at guiding his team to their first win at Ibrox is almost 30-years and finishing comofrtably in second place? McInnes isn't the one in the wrong here. 

I never said he's done anything 'wrong'

You seem awfy pleased with his 'achievements'.

3 minutes ago, rfc_watp said:

There's no media witch hunt against the guy? Maybe there isn't but your not wet behind the ears, your savvy enough to know how the media work up here and they are giving Pedro enough rope to hang himself with regards to questions asked = headlines. Maybe someone from the club should be opening his eyes to this. 

I don't think he done Aberdeens team talk for them at all. Football does work in cycles and Aberdeens current team, one which has been together a few years now is inevitably going to start breaking up. It obviously hit a nerve with McInnes but hearing Pedro speak the truth is better than hearing Warburtons draining soundbites.

Again, I reckon McInnes did want his job. Sounds like you have more respect for McInnes than our current manager for some reason? Fuck him. Watching him jump around the touchline last night over the smallest wee things made my skin crawl.

No there's absolutely no witch hunt on the guy at all - he's his own worst enemy giving the media shite on a plate every day to have a go. 

I respect McInnes as a Rangers man and a better manager than Pedro. Respect is earned and Pedro has overseen 3 unwanted records in 7 weeks due to his inabilities what the fuck is there to respect ?

3 minutes ago, Sket said:

I never said he's done anything 'wrong'

You seem awfy pleased with his 'achievements'.

Pleased :lol: fuck off ... I can acknowledge his achievements unlike some and have an honest debate about our manager unlike some.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Pleased :lol: fuck off ... I can acknowledge his achievements unlike some and have an honest debate about our manager unlike some.

What achievements? They're 2nd because we are fucking hopeless thanks to Warburton and in part the board. Whether Pedro is the man to change things or not remains to be seen.

Will you be praising the tranny shagger for his achievements?

Just now, Sket said:

What achievements? They're 2nd because we are fucking hopeless thanks to Warburton and in part the board. Whether Pedro is the man to change things or not remains to be seen.

Will you be praising the tranny shagger for his achievements?

Finishing above us with our budget and theirs and ending their near 30 year winless streak at Ibrox is an achievement - say it isn't all you want but I'll happily call you a liar 

I won't be praising Brenda the same way I'm not praising Aberdeen im only acknowledging what they've did. Your definition of praise is different to mine.