Interviews

GeeSS

We are Rangers why on earth did we hold interviews for the position of manager? We should be identifying our target and appointing him we are still a big name and paying good money aclub our size should not be asking for applications ! Next we appoint a football? Board to interview the applicants (Robertson and Park jr) what qualifies them for this very important role? Why did we not as people such as Walter,Souness, etc to form the board along with a director of football (who should have been appointed before a manager). The whole set up is wrong!  Where is the leadership? The director of football? The scouting network?  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Why have interviews for the manager's post? GeeSS a break.

The Board know the manager's remit, what their expectations are and how much they can afford to allow that to happen. Why shouldn't they let people show their passion and commitment and explain their ideas and find the best and right fit?

What makes Souness or Smith know better, they'd have to have knowledge of the financial landscape. Has Souness ever chosen a manager that can bridge the gap on a team with a significantly greater budget? Who was Smiths last recommendation for the job?

The Board tried to get a Dof in and failed. Should we have waited til summer to get a new manager in and probably been in a worse position for getting rid of this squad of shite?

Maybe PC is the wrong man, time will tell, whether that's down to funding or his ability may be less obvious.

Scouting network I'll give you.

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

The Board know the manager's remit, what their expectations are and how much they can afford to allow that to happen. Why shouldn't they let people show their passion and commitment and explain their ideas and find the best and right fit?

What makes Souness or Smith know better, they'd have to have knowledge of the financial landscape. Has Souness ever chosen a manager that can bridge the gap on a team with a significantly greater budget? Who was Smiths last recommendation for the job?

The Board tried to get a Dof in and failed. Should we have waited til summer to get a new manager in and probably been in a worse position for getting rid of this squad of shite?

Maybe PC is the wrong man, time will tell, whether that's down to funding or his ability may be less obvious.

I disagree   Interviewing has a place  yes but football is unique  we should have the DOF in place before a manager he should be headhunting his preferred candidate then maybe them the board will iron out the financial side but my point is Robertson and Park jr should not be interviewing and who came up with Pedro he has not got a CV that's shouting out at you  my  thoughts are that an agent(Mendez) put him forward with the suggestion that he would provide players through his agency hence saving on scouting network  the whole thing stinks!!

6 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

I disagree   Interviewing has a place  yes but football is unique  we should have the DOF in place before a manager he should be headhunting his preferred candidate then maybe them the board will iron out the financial side but my point is Robertson and Park jr should not be interviewing and who came up with Pedro he has not got a CV that's shouting out at you  my  thoughts are that an agent(Mendez) put him forward with the suggestion that he would provide players through his agency hence saving on scouting network  the whole thing stinks!!

I'm no fan of the Board, far from it, but when they couldn't fill the Dof role (maybe someone starting in the summer) should the Board just have put off appointing a manager too.

Which other club in the world would bring in ex managers to select a new one rather than the employees whose job it is to do it and whose jobs rely on our success?

32 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

I'm no fan of the Board, far from it, but when they couldn't fill the Dof role (maybe someone starting in the summer) should the Board just have put off appointing a manager too.

Which other club in the world would bring in ex managers to select a new one rather than the employees whose job it is to do it and whose jobs rely on our success?

Point taken but the board have no football knowledge between them advice should have been sought and no manager should ever be appointed before the DOF was in position 

22 minutes ago, GeeSS said:

Point taken but the board have no football knowledge between them advice should have been sought and no manager should ever be appointed before the DOF was in position 

So we should still have an interim in charge?

Do you think that would help or hinder work on moving this squad on this summer? Do you think it would help or hinder getting new faces in next season? Do you think that both decisions you've come to would help or hinder us next season?

In theory I'd agree with you but the reality is we've not got the Dof for whatever reason and we can either stand still and wait for the appointment or the club works to address issues.

I just said this in another thread, but this is possibly a more appropriate one.

The story goes that all other candidates turned up with a wee notepad and a pen and talked up their skills, whereas Pedro turned up with a 30 min powerpoint. That was enough to 'wow' the board.

Madness if true, and smacks of the work of a conman.

5 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

The problem with an interview stage is that a clown like Pedro who talks a good game can come across well and wrangle it - which is exactly what happened. 

I get what the OP is saying to be honest. 

13 minutes ago, Bydo said:

I just said this in another thread, but this is possibly a more appropriate one.

The story goes that all other candidates turned up with a wee notepad and a pen and talked up their skills, whereas Pedro turned up with a 30 min powerpoint. That was enough to 'wow' the board.

I heard he also turned up with a 20 deck of fags and a bottle of Irn Bru for each member of the interview panel as a bribe.

Shocking if true.

7 minutes ago, Captain Hilts said:

I heard he also turned up with a 20 deck of fags and a bottle of Irn Bru for each member of the interview panel as a bribe.

Shocking if true.

You can mock but what the guys saying is 100% true.

6 hours ago, GeeSS said:

We are Rangers why on earth did we hold interviews for the position of manager? We should be identifying our target and appointing him we are still a big name and paying good money aclub our size should not be asking for applications ! Next we appoint a football? Board to interview the applicants (Robertson and Park jr) what qualifies them for this very important role? Why did we not as people such as Walter,Souness, etc to form the board along with a director of football (who should have been appointed before a manager). The whole set up is wrong!  Where is the leadership? The director of football? The scouting network?  

Walter backed Ally for manager. ??

Just now, Captain Hilts said:

A Powerpoint presentation is what got him the job?  Aye, OK then.

No him coming across outstanding at the interview rather than merits and achievements in the game got him the job which says more about Robertson and co than Pedro on this instance 

6 hours ago, GeeSS said:

Maybe they did identify the 4 names that got on the shortlist, asked them for a meeting/interview then picked one. 

The days of Sir Minty rolling out the private jet and bobs your uncle are long gone.  

3 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

No him coming across outstanding at the interview rather than merits and achievements in the game got him the job which says more about Robertson and co than Pedro on this instance 

I must've missed all the highly successful managers we interviewed and knocked back.

Fucking notepads.

1 minute ago, Captain Hilts said:

I must've missed all the highly successful managers we interviewed and knocked back.

Fucking notepads.

Again It says more about the interview panel as their short list of 4 was pretty fucking dire and McInnes nowhere near it 

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

You're not quite understanding the point though, eh?

What is the point, exactly?

The board turned away a wealth of talented managers because they liked Pedro's Powerpoint presentation?

21 minutes ago, Bydo said:

That sounds like utter shite and if they turn up with a notebook and pen then, as an interviewer you'd think they were utterly disinterested and less than ready for an interview. 

Maybe the process should have been more rigorous, most interviews for senior positions are. My last interview process included 3 phone/Skype interviews, 1 face to face,  2 online assessments and a call from one of the company vice-presidents. A presentation should be the minimum requirement.

Strange how a professional and organised approach can become a negative for some. Interviewees for the job would, almost invariably, be expected to present their ideas to the panel and should prepare appropriately.