Joe Dodoo

jbm26896

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes in last night he decided he wanted nothing to do with that game. It wasn't bad positioning or lack in awareness, it was cowardice. He went into hide mode. Aye, you learn where to be and your movement improves with experience; but don't forget these guys have still played football for the better part of 20 years, progressing through pro youth levels. Experience doesn't come into it , a winger who won't shift off the touchline and who is actively trying to move away from the ball is as clear an example of a player not interested as you can get.

7 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

10 minutes in last night he decided he wanted nothing to do with that game. It wasn't bad positioning or lack in awareness, it was cowardice. He went into hide mode. Aye, you learn where to be and your movement improves with experience; but don't forget these guys have still played football for the better part of 20 years, progressing through pro youth levels. Experience doesn't come into it , a winger who won't shift off the touchline and who is actively trying to move away from the ball is as clear an example of a player not interested as you can get.

I'm critical of him, and I would move him on now that he has had his chance, but I think your particular criticism of him is unfair. Those long ball tactics wouldn't have helped him in any way you describe. Also, after we scored our goal, and the atmosphere picked up, we hardly played the ball upfront and make use of our players. We are playing route one football of a type where we go over the midfield and try and find a striker. It is predictable and players like Dodoo and McKay looked marginalised not be their unwillingness to play, but by our inability or unwillingness to use them.

2 hours ago, jbm26896 said:

Every time he starts a game he goes missing, but the frustrating thing for me is, he does have ability.

He has a good first touch, can go past a man, and can finish.

However, he seems to lack desire, aggression and the will to succeed, also seems to react to what goes on around him rather than anticipate that someone will win a header or look to pass inside the full back.

He is becoming a very frustrating player to watch, last night was a prime example. seems to be only good as a sub and cannot start any more games for us.

I think he'd thrive if surrounded by good players. 

Hopefully Pedro gets them.

53 minutes ago, Swagger said:

Dodoo is, like most of the rest of the squad, utter shite. 

1 hour ago, jackrfc95 said:

Same as Windass, another dud. 

It's so easy to say this, but he has shown the potential to be a better player. That game last night passed him by. When did McKay and he get a short pass all evening? If we are going to play long ball and hit the ball over the midfield and into the centre of a attack then we aren't going to be playing to suit those two. In that first half you could have easily thought McKay wasn't playing. The ball he was given in the second half was a long diagonal that flew past him out of play. That is not their game.

6 hours ago, jbm26896 said:

Every time he starts a game he goes missing, but the frustrating thing for me is, he does have ability.

He has a good first touch, can go past a man, and can finish.

However, he seems to lack desire, aggression and the will to succeed, also seems to react to what goes on around him rather than anticipate that someone will win a header or look to pass inside the full back.

He is becoming a very frustrating player to watch, last night was a prime example. seems to be only good as a sub and cannot start any more games for us.

In summary "he is piss poor"

5 minutes ago, Badger said:

He is a player I'd like to see with better players around him.

He has some ability and strikes me as a player who may suddenly kick on, or....fade to obscurity.

He has to get the ball to his feet; you can't play a long ball to him and expect him to do it. I would like to see him and a few others  in this squad playing alongside better players before writing them off though. 

11 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's so easy to say this, but he has shown the potential to be a better player. That game last night passed him by. When did McKay and he get a short pass all evening? If we are going to play long ball and hit the ball over the midfield and into the centre of a attack then we aren't going to be playing to suit those two. In that first half you could have easily thought McKay wasn't playing. The ball he was given in the second half was a long diagonal that flew past him out of play. That is not their game.

I've not been convinced by him at all this season, he's scored a few important goals but he's never actually played well in a game. The other night he looked completely clueless, didn't know where to run, didn't know what to do when he got the ball and generally just didn't look interested. Hope he goes in the summer.

2 minutes ago, Orange Persson said:

There is a reason he didn't play much under MW, except as a sub. MW signed players and then discovered they could not hack it for Rangers.

Yep. Warburton didn't play him, Murty didn't play him and Caixinha has used him sporadically because we basically have no one else.

58 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

I've not been convinced by him at all this season, he's scored a few important goals but he's never actually played well in a game. The other night he looked completely clueless, didn't know where to run, didn't know what to do when he got the ball and generally just didn't look interested. Hope he goes in the summer.

I agree with you about his performance the other night. I'd like to see him stay, with Windass and McKay, and see how those three in particular play if we get better to be alongside them.

4 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I agree with you about his performance the other night. I'd like to see him stay, with Windass and McKay, and see how those three in particular play if we get better to be alongside them.

I'd keep McKay and get rid of the other 2 personally.

He is absolutely and utterly chronic and I maintain the belief that he'll end up at a club like Newport Country. I honestly believe that.

As I've said elsewhere, in terms of our attacking options, this season has just been a viscious cycle; either of Waghorn, Garner and Dodoo get a run in the team, underperform, get dropped, then their stock rises, the longer they're out of the team, resulting in shouts for them to be given a chance. Again and again, repeat, repeat.

4 hours ago, giffnockger said:

Thought his performance the other night was embarrassing. Absolute shite bag of the highest order. Looked scared to go in for any header/tackle!

My thoughts exactly. Him, Garner & Windass are three cheeks of the same arse. At least JG entertains opposition fans with his kid-on hardman / all-action hero charade.

1 minute ago, ronniescu said:

My thoughts exactly. Him, Garner & Windass are three cheeks of the same arse. At least JG entertains opposition fans with his kid-on hardman / all-action hero charade.

I like Garner in this respect (how ever his finishing is terrible!) you just knew after Dodoo got put through in the first minute with the keeoer and turned his back he wasnt interested in the slightest!

4 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

He is absolutely and utterly chronic and I maintain the belief that he'll end up at a club like Newport Country. I honestly believe that.

As I've said elsewhere, in terms of our attacking options, this season has just been a viscious cycle; either of Waghorn, Garner and Dodoo get a run in the team, underperform, get dropped, then their stock rises, the longer they're out of the team, resulting in shouts for them to be given a chance. Again and again, repeat, repeat.

You could be right, it wouldn't be the first time a player with a great deal of talent has not applied himself properly and ended up in lower league football. Right now he can something to avert that, and it would be good to see if playing alongside better and hungrier players would help him develop into a good player. He has the talent.

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

You could be right, it wouldn't be the first time a player with a great deal of talent has not applied himself properly and ended up in lower league football. Right now he can something to avert that, and it would be good to see if playing alongside better and hungrier players would help him develop into a good player. He has the talent.

I think we passed that cut-off long ago with this squad, to the extent that most of them don't deserve that opportunity. I very much include Dodoo in that.