Pedro's First Signing

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, theiconicman said:

Would be wording if true. Means Alves would be only new CB.

That's part of the problem with the Hill scenario, he was the one most would've kept but the only one out of contract.

Keep him and the 4 CH are the same as last year. Release and there's space and money to replace. It'd be daft to bring in a 5th in Alves whilst still paying Hill, Kiernan, D Wilson and Bates.

Will be happy if Alves comes in and Kiernan goes and is replaced by another no nonsense sort.

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

Aye, right enough, it's not like we've been crying out for a decent CB since the third division and this cunt alves has won fuck all apart from 7 league titles, 7 domestic cups and been part of the Portugal international side for years... Fuck all to get excited by there, he'll not keep kiernan out the team anyway 

Ignore the fact the cunt is 35, got a few years left in him at a maximum, will be on a ridiculous wage (for our club) and the team he played for last season had a shocking defensive record...

10 years ago, aye i'd be excited as most people on here, it's a decent signing but nothing more.

50 minutes ago, Alec87 said:

I've said in another post weeks ago we need to be signing players who play for their country. A centre mid & centre forward of the same quality is essential. Then try to get the rest of the shitbags we can't shift to do the basics round these three.

Naismith and Lafferty?

*Ducks for cover with tin hat on*

27 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

That's part of the problem with the Hill scenario, he was the one most would've kept but the only one out of contract.

Keep him and the 4 CH are the same as last year. Release and there's space and money to replace. It'd be daft to bring in a 5th in Alves whilst still paying Hill, Kiernan, D Wilson and Bates.

Will be happy if Alves comes in and Kiernan goes and is replaced by another no nonsense sort.

It cost nothing to shift Hill, it may cost us money to get rid of Kiernan.

18 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Ignore the fact the cunt is 35, got a few years left in him at a maximum, will be on a ridiculous wage (for our club) and the team he played for last season had a shocking defensive record...

10 years ago, aye i'd be excited as most people on here, it's a decent signing but nothing more.

a few years of quality is absolutely fine by me at any age, we don't have any quality or experience in there at the moment so the manager is bringing someone he knows can do a job. What wage is he on btw? interested to know what figures you have for that... 

A "decent" signing is more than we've had for years so I'll take it

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

Tbh i think he's exactly what we need at the moment, he's still playing a lot of games at a higher standard and we need an experienced head in the centre of the back line, hill did well enough and alves has 4 years on him!

Would much prefer to get a couple of older heads who know how to win in the side especially if the rest is going to be made up with younger inexperienced players

Cribari was signed from Lazio if I remember correctly and he was woeful.

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

If we got one solid season out him to really strengthen us at the back and significantly improve the points we picked up, which gives Pedro breathing space for a few more transfer windows, I'd be delighted.

I will be happy if Bruno does a decent job but I would rather Pedro was replaced by someone who knows what they are doing asap.

44 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Like you've ignored the fact thst his team have finished mid table in their first year back in the top league?

How many years is "a few"?

How much are we going to pay him? Hes not on great money in Italy and knocked back more money to go there. 

7 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Whats your point? Are you comparing the two because they play in the same position and played in the same league, for a season, years apart?

6 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I will be happy if Bruno does a decent job but I would rather Pedro was replaced by someone who knows what they are doing asap.

And what if he's said he'd use the remainder of the season to assess the squads capabilities then bring in a good number of players he knows / can trust to play to his preferred style in the summer?

He's doing what he said he would.

27 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

a few years of quality is absolutely fine by me at any age, we don't have any quality or experience in there at the moment so the manager is bringing someone he knows can do a job. What wage is he on btw? interested to know what figures you have for that... 

A "decent" signing is more than we've had for years so I'll take it

Seen he was earning around a million euros a year (paper talk) so would be on about 15k a week? Quite a lot of our club just now 

Aye he's defo an improvement, just not got the excitement for him that most seem to have lol

9 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Like you've ignored the fact thst his team have finished mid table in their first year back in the top league?

How many years is "a few"?

How much are we going to pay him? Hes not on great money in Italy and knocked back more money to go there. 

Not ignoring nothing...not saying this guy is a bad signing btw or a waste of wages....just not as buzzing as the rest seem to be!

Guessing he'll be on the higher wages in our squad, similar to what Barton/Senderos were on

To answer the other part....a few years, talking maybe 2/3 maximum if he plays well

7 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

we've signed plenty of woeful players tbh - he had only played a few games in the seasons before joining us I think maybe in brasil? But he was completely unknown to the manager. Alves has played a good amount of football this season and was part of a euro winning portugal team the summer before - and has worked with the manager before, I would guess/hope that he's been signed because the manager knows what he wants out a cb and alves can provide that

19 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Whats your point? Are you comparing the two because they play in the same position and played in the same league, for a season, years apart?

Yes pretty much that and they arrived with a supposed big reputation and hopes for us. I just want our title back and to build sustainably and working on a better plan for the future.

21 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

And what if he's said he'd use the remainder of the season to assess the squads capabilities then bring in a good number of players he knows / can trust to play to his preferred style in the summer?

He's doing what he said he would.

Do you trust Pedro to do a good job regardless of who he signs? 

10 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

Do you trust Pedro to do a good job regardless of who he signs? 

No. Cos if he doesn't sign anyone he's left with a squad of duds he and any other manager would fail with.

Do I think he deserves an opportunity to sign players he believes can significantly improve us? Yes.

Just now, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

No. Cos if he doesn't sign anyone he's left with a squad of duds he and any other manager would fail with.

Do I think he deserves an opportunity to sign players he believes can significantly improve us? Yes.

I wouldn't have taken him as manager at all we need better in every aspect of our club.

12 minutes ago, Straight-Edge-Loyal said:

I wouldn't have taken him as manager at all we need better in every aspect of our club.

That's fair enough. Don't see anyone really saying he's absolutely the real deal and the ideal manager.

But he's here now so the retrospective stuff is futile.

Some argue spend 3 million or so to pay him off, bring in someone else none of whom appear phenomenal appointments, and then it'll all be fine. Despite us having no budget to improve the playing squad.

I'm saying he's been naive at times and wrong at times but that I reckon a lot of stuff going on in the background is necessary but impacting on players buying into him and to performances. 

He's alienating and dropping those he wants out for kids, and it seems a far from happy camp as a result. But he's right to do it even if it costs us points now if it gets rid of contracted shite like MOH, Forrester, Halliday, Kiernan.

So I'm giving him a break now and backing him getting to bring in his own players. If a few can be as positive as Alves I'll be delighted.