Pedro's First Signing

43 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Apparently they are struggling the "physical and mental" demands from Caixinhas methods.

boo fucking hoo

Remember when Souness came and led from the front in training some people spat the dummy and were swiftly moved on. Some players upped their game and became legends for us. Players should realise the club they are at and the opportunity they have. If not....cheerio....

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

Being quoted at around £11million just about £10million light.

Where is the money that king promised? In the same reality where craig whyte was touted as a billionaire I suspect.

If we get an £11million transfer fund, i'll be over the fucking moon.

If it's 11 million for wages to cover next season, transfers etc etc .... then that's a problem.

5 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

From Kiernon to stalwart in Portugal team who just won Euro championships with a series of excellent defensive performances....mmmh.

He's an improvement aye, not arguing that. 

Is he who you want in a Rangers top for the next 4/5 seasons? 

Someone who you can guarantee will show up week in week out and put in a minimum 8/10 performance? 

Will we be able to make a healthy profit on the guy to reinvest in the future?

He's a decent signing in my eyes, he'll do a job and is a step up on Kiernan, Senderos, Bates, Wilson & probably even Hill tbh.... but i'm not buzzing about it

5 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I was feeling optimistic till I read your post. :lol:

Good then I am doing my job correctly.

Can a 35 year old make a difference to our team, of course he can if he's the right person. Is Bruno Alves the right person though is he going to be just another empty jersey picking up a hefty pay packet. Well read between the lines and you'll see what I think.

I'd rather see us going for young players who we can maybe develop for a few seasons then sell on, it seems to be working for another club in this city.

8 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

If we get an £11million transfer fund, i'll be over the fucking moon.

If it's 11 million for wages to cover next season, transfers etc etc .... then that's a problem.

That's why I said it's about £10 million light.

Just now, big blue Fin said:

Can a 35 year old make a difference to our team, of course he can if he's the right person. Is Bruno Alves the right person though is he going to be just another empty jersey picking up a hefty pay packet. Well read between the lines and you'll see what I think.

I'd rather see us going for young players who we can maybe develop for a few seasons then sell on, it seems to be working for another club in this city.

We can't solely depend on young players though; they may even not develop if they don't have experienced players alongside them. Alves does appear to have lost his desire for the game; not when he has made the step from the Turkish to the Italian league, and being in the successful Portugese squad last year. We'll need a blend of youth and experience. 

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Ignore me....misread it lol

Thought you wanted another 10million on top of it....thinking he's a bit ambitious!

I would love us to have a boss with a huge bank balance behind him and the willingness to throw a couple of billion at the problem but we're stuck with a guy whose got arms like a T-Rex and pockets that he can't reach.

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

We can't solely depend on young players though; they may even not develop if they don't have experienced players alongside them. Alves does appear to have lost his desire for the game; not when he has made the step from the Turkish to the Italian league, and being in the successful Portugese squad last year. We'll need a blend of youth and experience. 

I agree but I think he's just chasing a last payday in a backwater league where he reckons he can probably come in do a Barton or Krancjar and get paid for fuck all.

3 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

I agree but I think he's just chasing a last payday in a backwater league where he reckons he can probably come in do a Barton or Krancjar and get paid for fuck all.

The position he plays at might make it easier for him than say if he was in midfield. If we signed him, Dorrans, and maybe another player like them I think we would get the best we can get out of Alves. I agree with your caution in a sense, and it's a timely reminder to me not to get too high about any signings before I actually see what they can do for us, but I live in hope!

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

The position he plays at might make it easier for him than say if he was in midfield. If we signed him, Dorrans, and maybe another player like them I think we would get the best we can get out of Alves. I agree with your caution in a sense, and it's a timely reminder to me not to get too high about any signings before I actually see what they can do for us, but I live in hope!

I used to live in hope too but certain events in Scottish football cured me of such a foolish notion.

Ally's Army and the 1978 World Cup campaign.

Ally McCoist's tenure as Rangers Manager

Not forgetting the near murder of our club at the hands of the cabal in 2012

No wonder I'm so bloody cynical.

Just now, big blue Fin said:

I used to live in hope too but certain events in Scottish football cured me of such a foolish notion.

Ally's Army and the 1978 World Cup campaign.

Ally McCoist's tenure as Rangers Manager

Not forgetting the near murder of our club at the hands of the cabal in 2012

No wonder I'm so bloody cynical.

Never lose it though mate, we can but dream. I think if we got good signings then it would give the whole club a lift.  A good few European nights would be the icing on the cake, and if we signed the players people speculate we will sign then maybe we will get through the qualifiers.

5 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Never lose it though mate, we can but dream. I think if we got good signings then it would give the whole club a lift.  A good few European nights would be the icing on the cake, and if we signed the players people speculate we will sign then maybe we will get through the qualifiers.

This season is not going to go away, nor can things be changed, quickly enough to strengthen us for the early entry into European football.

I see possibly two rounds at best where we'll struggle badly before tamely surrendering to another drubbing then a season where we're made to look less than ordinary against the bheasts again.

Bugger it. I'm away back to my sick bed.

1 minute ago, big blue Fin said:

This season is not going to go away, nor can things be changed, quickly enough to strengthen us for the early entry into European football.

I see possibly two rounds at best where we'll struggle badly before tamely surrendering to another drubbing then a season where we're made to look less than ordinary against the bheasts again.

Bugger it. I'm away back to my sick bed.

All the best. Hopefully we do something better than this season.

20 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

Problem is, we don't have another few seasons. I see this one as shit or bust with all that's going on off the park. If we have another season like this one, I can't see the fans putting up with it much longer.

We can't just have in those who have potential, but need a balance with a mix of seasoned professionals and younger models. As for them, they also do have a mix, otherwise they would win fuck all, like we would. Both the seasoned pro's and the youngsters they have are also a big step up from what we have and can afford.

5 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Problem is, we don't have another few seasons. I see this one as shit or bust with all that's going on off the park. If we have another season like this one, I can't see the fans putting up with it much longer.

We can't just have in those who have potential, but need a balance with a mix of seasoned professionals and younger models. As for them, they also do have a mix, otherwise they would win fuck all, like we would. Both the seasoned pro's and the youngsters they have are also a big step up from what we have and can afford.

As I've already said if the experienced player is the right kind fine, but we don't need empty shirts again and that's what I fear Alves will be.

what's the deal with European Qualifiers? For the games that happen below July 1st, are we going to need to play with the players that are left over already? No new signings until the window opens? If so that'll be a disaster. 

3 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

As I've already said if the experienced player is the right kind fine, but we don't need empty shirts again and that's what I fear Alves will be.

What does you base this on? He's just played 35 games in Serie A, never been subbed and is a year older than when he won the Euros. He has amassed 89 caps for Portugal and has no significant injury record. 

Of all the players we have been linked with this is the one with true pedigree and the one I'm most excited about.  I think he's potentially the most important signing we have made in years. Since Jelavic 

31 minutes ago, big blue Fin said:

He's playing every week in Serie A and still in and round the Portugal squad, if he wanted one final payday he could easily get it in the China/Qatar etc.  He's streets ahead of anything we have had in years.

3 minutes ago, trueblueal said:

I think he's potentially the most important signing we have made in years. Since Jelavic 

The same was said of Barton. He's a good addition and a good start for our rebuild, but the jets well and truly need cooled. 

41 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

He's an improvement aye, not arguing that. 

Is he who you want in a Rangers top for the next 4/5 seasons? 

Someone who you can guarantee will show up week in week out and put in a minimum 8/10 performance? 

Will we be able to make a healthy profit on the guy to reinvest in the future?

He's a decent signing in my eyes, he'll do a job and is a step up on Kiernan, Senderos, Bates, Wilson & probably even Hill tbh.... but i'm not buzzing about it

You don't get it all, certainly not for 450k and playing in Scotland.

It's potential VS established top quality international. With potential there's a huge cost associated with the best and a huge gamble associated with the rest. Neither of which we can afford.

At this moment in time I'm happy I've even heard of him.

3 minutes ago, Big Al II said:

You don't get it all, certainly not for 450k and playing in Scotland.

It's potential VS established top quality international. With potential there's a huge cost associated with the best and a huge gamble associated with the rest. Neither of which we can afford.

At this moment in time I'm happy I've even heard of him.

As a club though we shouldn't be happy to accept that 

We fill the stadiums every week, we did buy the merchandise until the shit with Ashley started & we are a massive club worldwide 

Not trying to hark back to olden times but we need to expect a certain level of player, which seems to be falling lower and lower

Understand that we won't be spending 10 million on a player but just because he's better than what we have just now, doesn't mean he's fantastic 

Can't believe people are moaning about signing a cracking player who most importantly is a Winner!

we need a team full of winners and only way I see him coming here is if Pedro has convinced him we will be winners next season

2 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

As a club though we shouldn't be happy to accept that 

We fill the stadiums every week, we did buy the merchandise until the shit with Ashley started & we are a massive club worldwide 

Not trying to hark back to olden times but we need to expect a certain level of player, which seems to be falling lower and lower

Understand that we won't be spending 10 million on a player but just because he's better than what we have just now, doesn't mean he's fantastic 

Didn't disagree with a word of your last post, this one is unrealistic. It's a bit like buying a house, unless you have unlmited funds there's always a compromise. You just have to find the one that suits you best.

IMO Alves is a reasonable compromise, compared to Kiernan, Wilson and Bates it's light years ahead of MW signings.