A touch of class from John Greig

Gaz52

Can't see GovanBlue posting anything about this, he's normally the Erskine guy :pipe: 

"Rangers and Scotland legend opens up sporting memorabilia room for veterans with dementia

Erskine Park houses 40 people who are either veterans or their spouses, all of whom are living with dementia.

The room will give them a place to be quiet and reminisce about classic sporting moments.

Football memories sessions are held in the room where residents are encouraged to talk about their favourite players and teams.

A television is also available for people to watch matches.

Greig said: “It was great to meet everyone.  It’s a wonderful place and the Sporting Memories Room brought back many memories for me.”

Carol McPhail, activities assistant at Erskine Park said: “We are thrilled that John came along today to officially open our Sporting Memories Room. 

"Many of our residents are keen on football and for such a football legend to come to our home to spend time with them is fantastic."

This is a wonderful picture. 

IMG_2918.JPG

My all time hero. The greatest Ranger and no mistake. He actually doesn't live that far from me and I see him now and again but I never try to speak to him. 

I remember back in the early 80's when he was manager and we were queueing outside the main stand for European tickets - think it was against Cologne? Anyway, he opened up the old running track inside the main stand to get us all out the rain and got the tea ladies down serving us tea and coffee. 

A living legend 

My 1st game as a 6 years old in 1967 was Rangers winning 1 nil and John Greig scoring a penalty. My 1st meeting him was in 1991 for the opening of the executive boxes against a.deen, where Mr Greig served lunch and came and sat next to me.

What a man - a man amongst men. For sure.

9 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Bottom right of the mural behind them is magnificent but top left needs another Rangers picture hung over it @govanblue

The picture of Dave MacKay is one of my favourite football pictures, he should have just hit that wee sneaky, nasty coward Bremner, look at the fear in his face!, plastic hard man crumbling when face to face with a real hard man, now we could do with somebody like that in our midfield!

Well done to John, my father spent 11 years in Erskine, a great place and he couldn't have been better looked after. My father took me to my first game about 1960, a reserve match, I don't remember who it was against, but when you went to see him he would always ask how Rangers got on.

3 hours ago, rbt1548 said:

The picture of Dave MacKay is one of my favourite football pictures, he should have just hit that wee sneaky, nasty coward Bremner, look at the fear in his face!, plastic hard man crumbling when face to face with a real hard man, now we could do with somebody like that in our midfield!

Well done to John, my father spent 11 years in Erskine, a great place and he couldn't have been better looked after. My father took me to my first game about 1960, a reserve match, I don't remember who it was against, but when you went to see him he would always ask how Rangers got on.

Speaking of Bremner I'm sure I heard that him and another ginger head of small stature were caught singing irish republican songs whilst on duty for Scotland.

3 hours ago, M4XGERSBF3 said:

An absolute gsleman and legend nIts a great cause.

The man IS a club legend and my favourite Captain, he IS however a torn faced shite, met him and Sandy many time and they tried to outdo each other IN the grumpy stakes.

Not IN a bad way but winners are perfectionists and those two fit INto that mould.

12 minutes ago, piperpete said:

The man IS a club legend and my favourite Captain, he IS however a torn faced shite, met him and Sandy many time and they tried to outdo each other IN the grumpy stakes.

Not IN a bad way but winners are perfectionists and those two fit INto that mould.

Aye thanks for that fine tribute to our two greatest ever Rangers:hmmm:

30 minutes ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

Aye thanks for that fine tribute to oinr two greatest ever Rangers:hmmm:

From the heart mate, I worked with Sandy for years and he was a crabbit man, not a bad man or a clown but a crabbit man who wasnt happy unless he was moaning.  The man was a true gentleman and a generous man and a King on the park but he was still a crabbit shite, this IS IN noway a slant on him or John, the both are winners and were like two peas IN a pod I. 

If you found them different then IT must have been me they were crabbit at, as I said IT was from my heart.

3 minutes ago, piperpete said:

From the heart mate, I worked with Sandy for years and he was a crabbit man, not a bad man or a clown but a crabbit man who wasnt happy unless he was moaning.  The man was a true gentleman and a generous man and a King on the park but he was still a crabbit shite, this IS IN noway a slant on him or John, the both are winners and were like two peas IN a pod I. 

If you found them different then IT must have been me they were crabbit at, as I said IT was from my heart.

If they had to read your letters, with the way you write, then no wonder they were crabbit with you, haha

15 minutes ago, Johnny Dangerously said:

If they had to read your letters, with the way you write, then no wonder they were crabbit with you, haha

I used to sent them messages using cant remember what the right name for IT IS but ITscwhat deaf peopLe use to read.

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 0:15 AM, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

My all time hero. The greatest Ranger and no mistake. He actually doesn't live that far from me and I see him now and again but I never try to speak to him. 

I remember back in the early 80's when he was manager and we were queueing outside the main stand for European tickets - think it was against Cologne? Anyway, he opened up the old running track inside the main stand to get us all out the rain and got the tea ladies down serving us tea and coffee. 

A living legend 

Was in that queue myself. Not sure who it was though. Maybe Dusseldorf. If it was Cologne was it the game where the pitch was cleared of snow by volunteers including the Primary school weans?We were all glad to get inside anyway.

There was just something classic about getting your tickets out of that wee hatch. Great memories when you see it today.

Back on topic i  think GB was invited along but couldnt go and offered the invite to any of us.