McKay been told to find a new club?

Not his biggest fan by any means and definitely someone who offers more poor performances than good one's but in our current situation I think it's a massive mistake.

I think of our outgoings and incomings as like a conveyor belt. The utter dross like Senderos and O'Halloran absolutely must leave and the best of a bad bunch like McKay then replace them on the bench while we add actual quality to the starting 11. McKay represents that medium between a quality winger and an O'Halloran at the moment. 

Saying that though I'd be very surprised if we actually have told him to find a new club. Getting rid of him effectively means we'll need to recruit two new left wingers. The recruitment is hard enough already but that's making it even more difficult. 

A 2 year contract extension would do me. Not because I want him here but so we don't lose him for peanuts which would be a disgrace quite frankly. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, MelbourneBlue said:

Interesting to compare McKay with the scum players of a similar kind. Bit early to decide on McGregor but I don't think much of him so far. Roberts should enjoy himself while with the scum because he'll never make it at City - far too predictable. How many times does he cut inside onto his left foot when running at the defender? Almost as one sided as Waghorn. Gets away with it in the SPFL but will get chewed up and spat out by EPL defenders. I actually rate McKay as better than Forrest, a very limited footballer who should never be near a Scotland shirt (although playing for the scum almost guarantees a role in a Strachan side). However, McKay is not good enough for the Rangers I want to see and if he's playing hard ball on signing an extension, Pedro should definitely move him on for whatever he can get.

Ha ha - i loved the first line and then ending it with James Forrest ?

He was given a challenge in the last game by the manager, who made it very clearly he was playing for his future - surprise surprise Barry doesn't bother his arse to show up for 85 mins. Manager has every right to tell him to find a new club given what he has shown him in application and attitude

One I would definitely keep.  Still young, loads of ability and a player that has suffered more than most from us not having a robust defence and backbone to our team.  

To suggest, like some on this thread, that we get rid of him because he doesnt win tackles and quite often shirks them is complete nonsense.  Did Willie Waddell or Jock Wallace show Tommy McLean the door because was a faint-heart who backed out of nearly every tackle?  No, because he brought other qualities to our team, qualities that led to the winning of two trebles.

Hope not. Alarming to say the least. Jury is out with Pedro, but he's persisted with waghorn after countless poor performances, yet Barrie, when given a run, time and confidence he's unplayable and easily the best player we've produced for years. 

Reckon its shite but if not, Pedro better explain what the fuck he's thinking. Unless Weiss walks in tomorrow, we aren't getting a better winger than McKay 

Absolutely shocking if true , young gifted player and the only one in our team who can beat a man , gutted is an understatement , if he is to go you can duck of with this 1 million pish best player we have by a mile and still learning , replacement with be an over the hill reject .

10 minutes ago, the_r_sole said:

He was given a challenge in the last game by the manager, who made it very clearly he was playing for his future - surprise surprise Barry doesn't bother his arse to show up for 85 mins. Manager has every right to tell him to find a new club given what he has shown him in application and attitude

Barrie has had plenty of chances to make his mark. He is only worthy of a place on the bench due to his inconsistency. All the skill in the world but just doesn't apply himself.

Use the noney from his sale to bring someone we can rely on and we will be stronger for it.

He was offered a contract months ago and knocked it back. I wouldn't have improved his contract as he hasn't improved as a player. He has shot himself in the foot. Only himself to blame.

20 minutes ago, Ibroxholm said:

One I would definitely keep.  Still young, loads of ability and a player that has suffered more than most from us not having a robust defence and backbone to our team.  

To suggest, like some on this thread, that we get rid of him because he doesnt win tackles and quite often shirks them is complete nonsense.  Did Willie Waddell or Jock Wallace show Tommy McLean the door because was a faint-heart who backed out of nearly every tackle?  No, because he brought other qualities to our team, qualities that led to the winning of two trebles.

Could live with him crapping out of challenges etc if he was creating lots of assists and scoring goals on a regular basis.

Kind of a luxury player that doesn't fit into Pedros 7/10 every week comments

I would offer him new contract but wouldn't offer a bumper contract....i expect he wont sign it and will be sold anyway. 

1 hour ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

If he had 2 years to run on his contract I would definitely keep him around to see if he can improve, his first touch is amazing but he goes missing far to often to warrant a starting place or even a new and improved contract. If true I wont be losing much sleep over it.

I'd say this is likely to be as much of an issue as his inconsistency on the pitch. McKay has done little to nothing to warrant significantly better terms than he's on and, after Pedro making his feelings on players leaking to the press, McKay spoke to some hacks over Rangers not getting hack to his agent to negotiate those improved terms. 

I think McKay has ability and potential, but I'd rather have a (fit) Lewis MacLeod about than Barrie McKay. Out of the two youngsters who have broken through in recent years, MacLeod is better and was sold for far less than we should have been looking for; McKay is in no way undervalued at £1 million, unless you're choosing to factor in how silly the transfer fees in English fitba are. 

13 minutes ago, tayside said:

Absolutely shocking if true , young gifted player and the only one in our team who can beat a man , gutted is an understatement , if he is to go you can duck of with this 1 million pish best player we have by a mile and still learning , replacement with be an over the hill reject .

He does fuck all for periods lasting 10+ games.  Is nowhere near consistent enough for a team  that wants to challenge for the league title.