Alnwick

jbm26896

1 minute ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

M8 been spoiled for ages, folks forget that during the Souness era we had the England No 1 between the posts, Chris Woods, now there was a keeper who had everything but who sadly was never quite the same after that shoulder injury, IIRC was capped around 50 times for England. 

I was very young but I used to always read about ourselves. 

We had some of the best English players due to the ban England had on European football and we were first choice. 

After that then the likes of Dr boer. Gio. Hammer. Gazza etc breaks my heart now but they're not any better. They get lucky with some players but days are long gone (unless a new league or England happens) that we will sign amazing players unless a fluke then we can't keep that player. 

Scottish football is horrendous and no one will make a serious investment here. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Queens 11 said:

Wes is playing with a much weaker defence in front if him than any other Rangers goalkeeper. I'd say he's won us lots of points this season

No he isnt. 

Hes probably won us the odd point here and there, but hes cost us them aswell. Hes a decent keeper and as i said, he could and probably will get better. 

18 minutes ago, WWTC said:

No he isnt. 

Hes probably won us the odd point here and there, but hes cost us them aswell. Hes a decent keeper and as i said, he could and probably will get better. 

Nonsense; at point blank he is the best keeper in this league. Every goalkeeper has a problem with their game that people can spot; Foderingham did a lot more than win 'us the odd point here or there'.

I think it's difficult to judge an 'keeper who doesn't make glaring errors, like Foderingham.

I appreciate that he's conceded five on two occasions against the Tarriers, but I see that as a collective fuck-up; the whole team take responsibility.

On the other hand, his saves stand-out for me. I'm not and never have been into goalkeeping, but his shot-stopping looks good to me.

His fingertip save in the last minute of extra time in the semi-final last season, from Griffiths free-kick, kept us in it and as a result, gave me the most joyous day supporting the Bears in many years. 

Last Sunday up at Perth seemed like it was being treated as a kick-about by Caixinha, given the volume of changes, so I'm not looking too much into Alnwick starting.

3 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Nonsense; at point blank he is the best keeper in this league. Every goalkeeper has a problem with their game that people can spot; Foderingham did a lot more than win 'us the odd point here or there'.

Ive said hes a decent keeper, and he could improve as hes young. Imo he's failed to make big saves at crucial times and hes been prone to the odd clanger. 

Hes not been helped by whats infront of him, but im not convinced hes a great keeper. So far, hes been decent. Granted as a keeper, you tend to remember the errors instead of the good points.

3 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I think it's difficult to judge an 'keeper who doesn't make glaring errors, like Foderingham.

I appreciate that he's conceded five on two occasions against the Tarriers, but I see that as a collective fuck-up; the whole team take responsibility.

On the other hand, his saves stand-out for me. I'm not and never have been into goalkeeping, but his shot-stopping looks good to me.

His fingertip save in the last minute of extra time in the semi-final last season, from Griffiths free-kick, kept us in it and as a result, gave me the most joyous day supporting the Bears in many years. 

Last Sunday up at Perth seemed like it was being treated as a kick-about by Caixinha, given the volume of changes, so I'm not looking too much into Alnwick starting.

I'm in danger of appearing as if I dont rate Foderingham here, and thats simply not true. Hes a decent keeper, a good shot stopper, good distribution etc, and again, he's relatively young for a keeper and should improve. 

But he does need to improve. He is prone to the odd fuck up, and thats down to a combination of his concentration and positioning. Hes poor, not average, poor, and commanding his box and coming for cross balls. 

Andy Gorams the best keeper ive seen at Ibrox. Easily. Distribution? Pish. Cross balls? Never ever caught one. Concentration levels grew into world class, they werent world class when he signed for us. He was always, however, the best shot stopper in the country. 

Foderingham could grow into a great keeper, but he isnt one just now imo. Hes had more saves to make than any Rangers keeper for years. When its big saves hes making to win us old firm games, or big games away from home, then we'll see

10 minutes ago, WWTC said:

Ive said hes a decent keeper, and he could improve as hes young. Imo he's failed to make big saves at crucial times and hes been prone to the odd clanger. 

Hes not been helped by whats infront of him, but im not convinced hes a great keeper. So far, hes been decent. Granted as a keeper, you tend to remember the errors instead of the good points.

You're being fair in that post, and I think for where we are he is as good as we will get. Of course he isn't as good as gks we have had in the past, but I like him; I also think he has a bit of character, which is good to see in a gk. I wouldn't mind seeing him with a better defence and midfield in front of him.

3 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

Agreed.

13 minutes ago, WWTC said:

I'm in danger of appearing as if I dont rate Foderingham here, and thats simply not true. Hes a decent keeper, a good shot stopper, good distribution etc, and again, he's relatively young for a keeper and should improve. 

But he does need to improve. He is prone to the odd fuck up, and thats down to a combination of his concentration and positioning. Hes poor, not average, poor, and commanding his box and coming for cross balls. 

Andy Gorams the best keeper ive seen at Ibrox. Easily. Distribution? Pish. Cross balls? Never ever caught one. Concentration levels grew into world class, they werent world class when he signed for us. He was always, however, the best shot stopper in the country. 

Foderingham could grow into a great keeper, but he isnt one just now imo. Hes had more saves to make than any Rangers keeper for years. When its big saves hes making to win us old firm games, or big games away from home, then we'll see

I agree that he needs to improve, but that advice is applicable to our entire squad and not reserved solely for Foderingham. I believe it could be argued that there are many who need to improve before him.

We won't see another Andy Goram or even another Allan McGregor, for that matter. I'm not accusing you of failing to adjust your expectations, but if you're waiting for someone to replicate Goram, then you'll be waiting a while. Scottish football is getting worse on an annual basis. The money isn't there to attract that calibre of player.

As a side note and not directly in response to your comments, I think Foderingham has had to adapt significantly to his new surroundings since arriving here. He went from playing for lower league Swindon in front of small crowds to Rangers, under intense pressure on a weekly basis and in front of 50,000 fans every other Saturday. He was also blatantly instructed to distribute the ball to feet; punting it up the park was very rarely an option. In that sense, credit to him.

1 hour ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

I agree that he needs to improve, but that advice is applicable to our entire squad and not reserved solely for Foderingham. I believe it could be argued that there are many who need to improve before him.

We won't see another Andy Goram or even another Allan McGregor, for that matter. I'm not accusing you of failing to adjust your expectations, but if you're waiting for someone to replicate Goram, then you'll be waiting a while. Scottish football is getting worse on an annual basis. The money isn't there to attract that calibre of player.

As a side note and not directly in response to your comments, I think Foderingham has had to adapt significantly to his new surroundings since arriving here. He went from playing for lower league Swindon in front of small crowds to Rangers, under intense pressure on a weekly basis and in front of 50,000 fans every other Saturday. He was also blatantly instructed to distribute the ball to feet; punting it up the park was very rarely an option. In that sense, credit to him.

Totally agree, the whole squad needs to improve and Foderingham is no different. 

To the point about Goram/Mcgregor, firstly theres no comparison for me as Mcgregor wasnt and never will be anywhere near as good as Goram,or Klos for that matter. But the two you mention cost peanuts collectively. As a country we do generally produce decent keepers so imo, I might not see another Gascoigne, Laudrup, or De Boer, but theres no reason i wont see atleast another of the standard of Mcgregor. Mcgregor had more howlers in oldfirm games than just about any modern day keeper. But people always remember the penalty save, the save in Bremen etc.