24th May 1972

45 years ago today! ??

The greatest day in our history and I'd love to hear a few stories from Bears that travelled or where you watched the game as it was before my time. 

I love some of these photos, the one of Greig in the bath is framed in the house as well. I mentioned it in a previous thread but was lucky enough to meet Colin Stein in the Argyle Suite this season and he was a diamond. Time for everyone and what a true legend of the club. 

Thank you to them all, and to anyone aspiring to play for the famous next season and the dross we've endured this year, here's some proper Rangers men for you.

16ghmoj.jpg

3zjtu.jpg

orteef.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wonder if this achievement will have most of the six o'clock news dedicated to it? :hmmm: brilliant achievement by our team,before my time as well but hopefully we can add another European trophy in my lifetime. 

I love the picture of Greig in the bathtub. One image that shows what it means to a hell of a man. Salute!

A was born three days after this, so never got to see it until later in life, my mum says my dad was a nightmare because he was still pissed when he came after I was born, a was born in Belvedere and the nurses were trying to get him out, only reason a think he got in was because my gran, or his mum worked in there, hahaha, will a ever see it in my lifetime,the way we are just now,very doubtful,my dad's still going so he seen us winning nine in a row as well:dance:

The ECWC Final was not shown live on TV. I had to listen to it, on the radio, in my bedroom.

We were romping it, then Moscow Dynamo took control of the game. I remember feeling extremely tense towards the last few minutes, then the final whistle went, and me and my brother went mental, jumping up and down on our beds, making so much noise that my mother came up to see what was going on.

I remember going to school the next morning, with my head held high, it was like I was floating on air. We lived near Edinburgh at the time, so most of our school were Hearts, or Hibs fans, mostly Hearts though. At the morning break a lot of the Rangers fans were behind the art block, having a smoke, and we all started singing, and jumping about, it was my best day at school ever. Most of my fellow pupils were coming up to me, shaking my hand and congratulating me on our win, not that I helped to win the cup. Even some teachers were saying "well done". But it never lasted very long, because all the news started to go on about Bears causing trouble in Spain.

The following day was totally different. There was talk of UEFA taking the cup off Rangers, and getting banned from European football for years. It wasn't a good day at school, so I just went home at lunchtime, and stayed there until Monday morning. 

The highs and lows of being a Bear, eh?

3 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

For the older bears would our 55th title win eclipse Barca in 72?

Maybe not, because that was our third final in that cup. The relief was amazing after all those journeys through the years.  I always think of Jock Wallace defending big Gas Meter in later years. When McLoy's ability got questioned at times, big Jock always mentioned him coming through that siege against Moscow Dynamo. Brilliant stuff!

5 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

The ECWC Final was not shown live on TV. I had to listen to it, on the radio, in my bedroom.

We were romping it, then Moscow Dynamo took control of the game. I remember feeling extremely tense towards the last few minutes, then the final whistle went, and me and my brother went mental, jumping up and down on our beds, making so much noise that my mother came up to see what was going on.

I remember going to school the next morning, with my head held high, it was like I was floating on air. We lived near Edinburgh at the time, so most of our school were Hearts, or Hibs fans, mostly Hearts though. At the morning break a lot of the Rangers fans were behind the art block, having a smoke, and we all started singing, and jumping about, it was my best day at school ever. Most of my fellow pupils were coming up to me, shaking my hand and congratulating me on our win, not that I helped to win the cup. Even some teachers were saying "well done". But it never lasted very long, because all the news started to go on about Bears causing trouble in Spain.

The following day was totally different. There was talk of UEFA taking the cup off Rangers, and getting banned from European football for years. It wasn't a good day at school, so I just went home at lunchtime, and stayed there until Monday morning. 

Pretty sure we were being battered and beaten by Franco's fascist police, not causing trouble. 

6 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I remember it so clearly too, listening it it on the radio with my dad. It was the proverbial 'nail-biter' and we went crazy when the final whistle eventually came. Got a smile on my face just thinking of it again. A truly wonderful memory.  

I wasn't allowed to go because of my age but my brother and his mate went and loved it. Well, apart from the scenes they saw regarding the Spanish coppers as they waded into anyone who didn't move with batons, whether one the pitch, or in the streets.

I did get to The Super Cup tournament the year after though in Barcelona which was good but nowhere near what the ECWC final would have been. I think the clubs were Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Ajax and Rangers. Way back in the good old days when I was a lad.

Just mentioned this elsewhere so apologies. The tarrier rag the rhecord published an article today attempting in my opinion to cast a shadow over our achievement saying we agreed to replay the match and quoting some Russian who said that we invaded the pitch five times attacked their players ( we were "wild eyed" it seems) and everything was stacked against them in any case. So in reply to Negri above no it won't. The complete opposite in fact. Once more it's open season on our club,it's achievements and manager,while savco and the wonderful lions the bestest ever club side the universe has ever seen are lauded praised and waxed lyrical over. 

4 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

For the older bears would our 55th title win eclipse Barca in 72?

That's a good question...I'm not ancient but I don't think it would.

They would both have great significance in our history and both would stay in or memories until the day we die I'd imagine. Winning the ECWC was a huge part of my life as a Rangers supporter of course and when we get our 55th title, it's going to me memorable for so many reasons. We'll celebrate that throughout the world and it will tell every man and his dug that we're back to where we belong (and intend to stay there).

There will also be quite a few people, maybe even so called 'journalists' or 'football pundits' queuing up to lob themselves of the Erskine Bridge like lemmings too. Which would be nice. Roll on 55!

Vividly remember listening to the game live on the radio, in my bedroom.  Thinking we were walking it, and then the tense finish before leaping around in celebration.  After that, staying up late to watch the full game broadcast on the TV (can't recall why they couldn't show it live, but only in full later on).  Playground in school next morning - pals just running around celebrating before we went into class.  I had been at all the home games in the run to the final, so it was very special indeed. Don't think I'll ever again experience anything quite like the second leg against  Bayern. 

11 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

No doubt in the soviet system Moscow Dynamo were given idea preparation where as like in the Nuremberg final in 67 we were struggling for fitness after weeks of no competitive football.

Nice to hear of the genuine warmth from a lot of the teachers and pupils at school it's good to hear because we have never been given the praise that we richly deserved for winning that cup winners cup  So far as the trouble in Spain goes it was trouble in fascist Spain and that shouldn't be forgotten ... our fathers defeated fascism and yet franco's bully boys still got to police a European final :anger:

I was 6 at the time so my only memory is of how happy my dad was around the house. I suppose he was always a typical Scot quite reserved but not that day :Fod:

I was fifteen at the time, had been at all the home legs but I couldn't talk my old man into going to the final.  

That night one of his mates came round with a few cans, and as far as I recall we watched the televised Scotland game that was preventing our game from being televised live. That must be so hard to believe for younger Bears to believe, that the game wasn't on till later by delayed transmission,

Anyway we resisted the temptation to it the radio on, and were oblivious to the result when we started watching the game. Two first half goals from Colin and Bud and we were daring to hope we would do it. Then back to the STV studio as the halftime whistle went and the presenter - I've always thought it was Arthur Montford, but someone on here said Bill Tennant - said "join us after the break for three great goals".

So as soon as wee Bud scored again not long into the second half, we knew we had done it. I know it was unlikely Dynamo would have come back from 3-0 down anyway, but it still wasted all the effort we had made to avoid hearing the score.

5 hours ago, Davie Mr Magic Cooper said:

That's a good question...I'm not ancient but I don't think it would.

They would both have great significance in our history and both would stay in or memories until the day we die I'd imagine. Winning the ECWC was a huge part of my life as a Rangers supporter of course and when we get our 55th title, it's going to me memorable for so many reasons. We'll celebrate that throughout the world and it will tell every man and his dug that we're back to where we belong (and intend to stay there).

There will also be quite a few people, maybe even so called 'journalists' or 'football pundits' queuing up to lob themselves of the Erskine Bridge like lemmings too. Which would be nice. Roll on 55!

I'm sure we'll get more than 55 

17 hours ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Wonder if this achievement will have most of the six o'clock news dedicated to it? :hmmm: brilliant achievement by our team,before my time as well but hopefully we can add another European trophy in my lifetime. 

I love the picture of Greig in the bathtub. One image that shows what it means to a hell of a man. Salute!

I see the beeb have a lesbo lions program on tonight as a mark of respect to the heroes of Barcelona ... pretty much sums up this shower of poll tax funded scumbags  :britney:

I was a fresh faced 18 year old who travelled down to Glasgow from Newtonmore by train then a coach to Prestwick airport, stayed at the hotel Volga in callela and we were all bussed to Barcelona and back after the match. I was behind the goals that Colin Stein and Willie Johnston scored into, wonderful memories and this may sound strange but my most vivid memory is of many Bears enjoying a singsong back the bar in our hotel Volga and the dreaded Franco's police coming in and the hotel manager basically pleading with them that there was no bother. "Strange" anyway as I type I am raising a glass to our "Beloved Barcelona Bears" and I look forward to 5 years time when we get the same adulation afforded the 50 year thing happening just now, but as the saying goes I won't hold my breath.????????????