Rangers Academy Coaching Changes

jackrfc95

Just now, Cedrick said:

Aye nae bother mate customary boring response , I'd had Kevin thomson or bomber brown as the 3rd coach out the candidates , get a bit of fight and heart out the players , like how they played 

Tell me more about your undoubted knowledge of these guys coaching ambitions and role as 'yes men'.

I'm guessing the suggestion of Brown (renowned as a bully of young players during his previous stint at Auchenhowie) was an attempt at humour.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

Is Murty taking over from the Mullholland guy Warburton was always raving about?

Not as far as I know (or at least not yet). Warburton wants him at Forest though. There does seem to be a fair bit of crossover between them now

26 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Tell me more about your undoubted knowledge of these guys coaching ambitions and role as 'yes men'.

I'm guessing the suggestion of Brown (renowned as a bully of young players during his previous stint at Auchenhowie) was an attempt at humour.

No it wasn't saw him at a Q&A couple of weeks ago and thought that's exactly what we need in that dressing room now 

3 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

It's going back a while - but to me, we were on a great path with our youngsters before George Adams took over in 2003, he started to hire bullies like John Brown who would go up and sit in our youth players houses, having a cuppa with their parents telling them they're well looked after at Murray Park only to be found guilty of bullying many of them behind the parents back. 

An emphasis was on street players, players with flair and natural ability before Adams took over. We had the Dutch guy (who's name is escaping me, Bert or Dirk? He was on blue heaven) as head of academy and he had a good vision for the youngsters, the same setup as Ajax and clubs like that. But McLeish wanted Adams and Adams set out looking for the 13 year olds who were 6ft+ rather than focusing on raw talent. 

Bert van lingen.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.   So the structure and roles at the Academy must have been viewed as broken otherwise why go for what seems like an extensive reorg (or 'fix').

If it ain't boke don't fix it.   But if you don't make changes often enough all it means is the senior execs are not looking hard enough.  There is always something 'broken' that needs to be fixed, it just needs a bit of finding (or inventing)   A bit like fixing the manager situation by removing Warburton.......it just took a lot longer than some thought to find the 'fix'.

The Club obviously feels it needed to perform some organisational surgery on the Academy structure and staffing so I hope it works out as intended.   More than that I hope it is really necessary and is affordable.   On top of the changes there really should be some published targets that the coaching staff can be held to account to achieve.

It's not new.  All this change malarkey has been around for a very long time.   Gaius Petronius (no, not a mate of Pedro's or a new CB signing) once said a very long time ago "We trained hard - but it seemed that every time we were beginning to form up into teams, we would be re-organised.   I was to learn later in life that we tend to meet any new situation by re-organising, and a wonderful method it cam be for creating the illusion of progress while producing confusion, inefficiency and demoralisation." 

1 hour ago, The Dude said:

We need someone who bullies young players?

Is that true ? Strange he got an interview with that past , if it is true well that's wrong , but we definitely need someone in the dressing room that can prevent getting beat off them showing no heart fight or desire one week then the following week it was fucking worse , that was totally unacceptable and in my opinion wouldn't have happened with any of the other local lad candidates e.g. Bomber , Fergie , thommo , Alex Rae in the dressing room 

1 hour ago, MarzM said:

I think this looks promising. We need to get more out of the Academy and if this helps good.

The runner up in the local lad (3rd coach ) candidates mate runs his own academy and gets rave reviews and is very successful, baffling Kevin thomson was overlooked for any of these new posts 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Kevin thomson came very close to being successful in the local lad (3rd coach) position and runs his own academy so how can he be overlooked for these new positions ? I've seen many of Kevin's sessions he's an excellent coach very opinionated and very knowledgeable , so with all this info I've put 2 and 2 together and came to the conclusion Craig Mulholland sees perfect candidates like thommo as a threat and would rather employ guys who'd do what their told and won't be better at his job than him , how can ye almost make pedros coaching team run an academy and not get any of the new positions ??? Baffling 

8 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Kevin thomson came very close to being successful in the local lad (3rd coach) position and runs his own academy so how can he be overlooked for these new positions ? I've seen many of Kevin's sessions he's an excellent coach very opinionated and very knowledgeable , so with all this info I've put 2 and 2 together and came to the conclusion Craig Mulholland sees perfect candidates like thommo as a threat and would rather employ guys who'd do what their told and won't be better at his job than him , how can ye almost make pedros coaching team run an academy and not get any of the new positions ??? Baffling 

Thommo was allegedly fast tracked through his coaching badges because he was a pro. I recall a fellow coaching candidate telling me the sessions Kevin put on were ridiculously bad only for the assessor to fawn over him and still pass him simply because of who he was. Anyone can start their own wee academy too, that doesn't mean anything.  

10 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

I'm glad your academy is going well Kevin and better luck in the future if any roles become available.

3 minutes ago, MasterD said:

I'm glad your academy is going well Kevin and better luck in the future if any roles become available.

Deary me mate , Nae bother , I want the guys recruiting at our club to be thinking about the club and not themselves 

7 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Thommo was allegedly fast tracked through his coaching badges because he was a pro. I recall a fellow coaching candidate telling me the sessions Kevin put on were ridiculously bad only for the assessor to fawn over him and still pass him simply because of who he was. Anyone can start their own wee academy too, that doesn't mean anything.  

Coaches my mates team, sessions are class , been to watch a few times , chatted to him a few times to , could listening to him talk about Rangers all night , when he got to the interview stage of the local lad , I was sure he'd have got the job 

2 minutes ago, Cedrick said:

Coaches my mates team, sessions are class , been to watch a few times , chatted to him a few times to , could listening to him talk about Rangers all night , when he got to the interview stage of the local lad , I was sure he'd have got the job 

Edinburgh South? His lad plays for the 08s. I also have a contact there between him and i. :thumbup:

14 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

And yet John Brown had quite a youth side though; Barry Ferguson and Barry Nicholson etc were there when he was taking care of the youth, or have I got that wrong?

Don't think so unless he had two stints.