Peter Lovenkrands hopes his first coaching role with Rangers will help him work his way up the ladder in the future.

The former Gers forward, who won two Scottish titles, one Scottish Cup and three League Cups at Ibrox, has returned on a part-time basis to work with a team in the club's youth academy in the intermediate phase.

Lovenkrands missed out on a role with first-team boss Pedro Caixinha's back-room staff after he was overlooked in favour of Jonatan Johansson but says his new post could be the first step as he looks to work his way up in the game as a coach

Canny complain about that , all the best Peter 

1 minute ago, BRITNEY IS NOT FEELING IT said:

Peter Lovenkrands hopes his first coaching role with Rangers will help him work his way up the ladder in the future.

The former Gers forward, who won two Scottish titles, one Scottish Cup and three League Cups at Ibrox, has returned on a part-time basis to work with a team in the club's youth academy in the intermediate phase.

Lovenkrands missed out on a role with first-team boss Pedro Caixinha's back-room staff after he was overlooked in favour of Jonatan Johansson but says his new post could be the first step as he looks to work his way up in the game as a coach

Canny complain about that , all the best Peter 

Good to hear Peter is with the club

Just now, eejay the dj said:

Good to hear Peter is with the club

PETER LOVENKRANDS is thrilled to be back at Rangers as a part-time Academy coach.

As part of the changes to the youth department outlined by Head of Academy Craig Mulholland on the club’s website yesterday, fans favourite Peter will work with a team in the intermediate phase having recently completed his UEFA A License.

The great Dane, who scored 54 goals in 182 appearances for Rangers from 2000 to 2006, is delighted to be taking his first steps in coaching at a club he holds so close to his heart.

He said: “I’m very excited to be fair and looking forward to the challenge.

“I got asked to come in and do the interviews for the assistant coach job for the first team and I missed out on that, and of course that was hard to take because I really wanted that.

“But then I got asked to come in for this one and I thought it was a really good opportunity to show what I can do and get a foot in the door with the coaching and trying to get my experience across to the younger players.

I have ambitions, I would love to be higher up and this is a way for me to come in and kind of show what I can do and try to work my way up.

“But it’s not like I want to go in and I want to work my way up to be a manager right away. I can’t see myself as a manager actually in quite a while, I need to learn a lot of the game in that way, the coaching side of it, but I do think I can see myself being higher up. The best way is to go in and show it and work your way up.”

Lovenkrands believes that the changes at youth level will be positive with new coaches Andy Little, Stephen Little and Brian Gilmour being able to pass on their experiences as players at Rangers to the youngsters coming through the ranks at Auchenhowie.

With Graeme Murty also taking on an additional role of Head of Academy Coaching, Peter can’t wait to get started.

Speaking to RangersTV, he said: “I was just speaking with Craig Mulholland and the new structure he is looking at, it’s really interesting. I think it’s fantastic what he is doing.

“It’s something I’m happy to be part of and one I want to be part of. So when he asked me and we talked about it, it sounded really interesting and I wanted to come and help.

“I think for young players, and I’ve been in that situation myself when I had Ian Durrant and John Brown in the under-21s when I came here, and having players who have been there and done it at the club and know what it is about and have that experience, I think young players will enjoy it a lot, coming in and knowing they are learning from players who have been through it.

“I think it’s a big thing and a good thing bringing in former players.

I’m a little bit like I was as a player, I’m passionate, I give 110 percent with everything I do, so it will be the same on the sideline.

“Even when I’m doing my coaching badges, and I did my assessment here, even although it was just an assessment I want to see good results and I’m working hard to get it.”

Him, Brian Gilmour and Andy Little are coaching the youth teams part-time. It's not uncommon for former players to work part-time coaching at their former clubs, but it's still nice to see. (Unless they turn out to be shite.) Lovenkrands was one of our star players for years, and Little & Gilmour came up through our youth system; good guys to have for role models for young lads, for different reasons, and each of them genuinely care about the club. 

4 hours ago, Detroit Lion said:

I'm quite positive about the behind the scenes football stuff going on at the club. Youth development seems to finally be showing signs of promise, coaches getting appointed who look like they're here for the long term, new techniques, technology and methods being introduced. Think there's definitely a lot of time and focus being put into it.

I agree. I'm the last person to give plaudits to the King regime but this sounds as if it's the right thing to do. The only minor quibble is that I'd of found a place for Kevin Thomson along with the others. He has proven his ability to work with young players.

3 hours ago, My Fathers Scarf said:

A bit more composure in front of goal and he would have been a legend. Tried to blast it into the net too often and fecked it up. Likeable guy all the same. Good luck Peter.

We had an embarrassment of riches back then compared to now. But I think Lovenkrands along with Arveladze and one or two others were never utilised properly during their time at the club.

2 minutes ago, Detroit Lion said:

Yes, definitely... Hopefully in time we see his return.

Im sure he could still run his academy and all that if he wanted to, but think his appointment in some capacity would be a no brainer.

what has Kevin Thomson done with his academy and at youth level to keep receiving this accolade , Love to hear everyone's thoughts on this  

8 hours ago, The Beast said:

I agree. I'm the last person to give plaudits to the King regime but this sounds as if it's the right thing to do. The only minor quibble is that I'd of found a place for Kevin Thomson along with the others. He has proven his ability to work with young players.

I would agree with that I think Kevin Thomson would also have been a good addition 

19 hours ago, Detroit Lion said:

I'm quite positive about the behind the scenes football stuff going on at the club. Youth development seems to finally be showing signs of promise, coaches getting appointed who look like they're here for the long term, new techniques, technology and methods being introduced. Think there's definitely a lot of time and focus being put into it.

is this something the Board is getting right?

9 hours ago, Rogerramjet25 said:

what has Kevin Thomson done with his academy and at youth level to keep receiving this accolade , Love to hear everyone's thoughts on this  

I've never personally seen any of his work with his Academy but I know a lot of parents and coaches who send their kids to him and everyone of them sing his praises - saying they can see a difference in the kids after only 3 or 4 sessions - so seems he knows his stuff