Jim Stewart joins Warburton at Notts Forest

Smile

1 hour ago, weeneily said:

The man gave great service to Rangers for many years and was then dumped out on his arse. He has a chance to make a few quid for a couple of years before retirement and for that you call him a cunt ?    Take a long look in your mirror and you'll see the definition of a true cunt looking back.

To add to this, I don't know of many - if any - Rangers fans that have had a bad experience when meeting Jim Stewart. Jim and Colin Stewart - and Colin's missus, Julie Fleeting - have been sound with anyone I know who has met them. 

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, BEE said:

:lol: My point is my opinion is based on something, not just me stating, "he's pish".

Based on an opinion that not formed from having watched years of keeper training sessions. Which is what you were digging the other poster about.

So pretty daft argument when you don't do yourself what you've challenged him as the basis of how he came to form an opinion.

14 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

Foderingham is a game away from his next fuck up , nowhere near as good and never will be as our keepers in the past.

He is a major part of the problem . You are spot on . He is no where near good enough .

We have to get the spine 100% and he won't do IMO

To be fair ,he looks good sometimes because of the dross around him and I think that means. He isn't the priority

2 hours ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Based on an opinion that not formed from having watched years of keeper training sessions. Which is what you were digging the other poster about.

So pretty daft argument when you don't do yourself what you've challenged him as the basis of how he came to form an opinion.

I was pointing out my opinion is based on basically what we all have to go on, fuck knows how he can arrive at that conclusion based on what we've seen.

12 hours ago, Queen's_highway said:

Some people on this thread are a joke. 

A guy that worked a long time for us and done a decent job and who left because our new manager had his own coach is being called a cunt and moneygrabber. 

His wages where offered and he's not going to say, oh that's too much, can you pay me less. 

He left us not for a new job, he left because there was no job for him.

He was going to retire but his ex manager clearly valued him and asked if he would be interested and he's now working for forest.

Why do a lot of our fans just hate everything about us?

Because their support sits only with glory and success. 

They have forgotten what "loyal and true" means. 

5 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Because their support sits only with glory and success. 

They have forgotten what "loyal and true" means. 

Agreed. 

Well they're fucking morons then. I grew up with the glory years. 9iar etc still followed us home and away through the divisions like so many others 

2 hours ago, eejay the dj said:

He is a major part of the problem . You are spot on . He is no where near good enough .

We have to get the spine 100% and he won't do IMO

To be fair ,he looks good sometimes because of the dross around him and I think that means , he isn't the priority

Agree with all of that. He's terrible coming off his line as well, never seen a keeper so poor at being dominant within his own 6 yard box. 

The reason some people like him is because he occasionally pulls off good saves. Shock horror, Keeper makes good saves. Every fucking keeper makes saves, it's their job. The equivalent of a centre half making a tackle, mind you come of our centre halves don't do that either! ?

22 minutes ago, rangersmad86 said:

Agree with all of that. He's terrible coming off his line as well, never seen a keeper so poor at being dominant within his own 6 yard box. 

The reason some people like him is because he occasionally pulls off good saves. Shock horror, Keeper makes good saves. Every fucking keeper makes saves, it's their job. The equivalent of a centre half making a tackle, mind you come of our centre halves don't do that either! ?

Canny Bell?

4 hours ago, JograBear said:

Foderingham came to the club commanding his box and coming for crosses. Now he doesn't. Think better off we moved on with goalkeeper coaching...

The keepers we have that have worked with Stewart generally are good shot stoppers, but few improve on other aspects of goalkeeping, and have the modern day tendency to palm the ball away when the should hold onto it. How much of that is down to coaching, I couldn't say; has to play a part though. 

Which isn't to say that Stewart is a bad coach; he's not. I just think that we need someone who is going to try to work on the areas that our keepers need to improve in, rather than focusing on what they're already good at. 

5 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

The keepers we have that have worked with Stewart generally are good shot stoppers, but few improve on other aspects of goalkeeping, and have the modern day tendency to palm the ball away when the should hold onto it. How much of that is down to coaching, I couldn't say; has to play a part though. 

Which isn't to say that Stewart is a bad coach; he's not. I just think that we need someone who is going to try to work on the areas that our keepers need to improve in, rather than focusing on what they're already good at. 

Your are either being disingenuous or forgetful when you suggest this about Jim Stewart's coaching, because with Alan McGregor and Foderingham, for example, they improved in aspects of their game under him. 

7 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Your are either being disingenuous or forgetful when you suggest this about Jim Stewart's coaching, because with Alan McGregor and Foderingham, for example, they improved in aspects of their game under him. 

And Foderingham has also gotten a lot worse at commanding his box and in his aerial abilities. Again though, how much of that is down to coaching is difficult to say due to the shite defence we've got. 

1 minute ago, Aubie92 said:

And Foderingham has also gotten a lot worse at commanding his box and in his aerial abilities. Again though, how much of that is down to coaching is difficult to say due to the shite defence we've got. 

Foderingham hasn't got a "lot worse" in his time at this club, in any way; if you suggest that then I have to disagree; he also made Alan MacGregor a much improved goalkeeper, and not just shot stopping either- I'm sure JS would have worked on his gks weaknesses when he coached them here. On your final point, then yes, of course, that is possible.

9 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Foderingham hasn't got a "lot worse" in his time at this club, in any way; if you suggest that then I have to disagree; he also made Alan MacGregor a much improved goalkeeper, and not just shot stopping either- I'm sure JS would have worked on his gks weaknesses when he coached them here. On your final point, then yes, of course, that is possible.

His command of his box is poor; he frequently doesn't communicate with his defence, and seems to just expect them to know when he's going to claim a ball. I'm not going to pretend I saw him every week playing for Swindon, but from what I did see that wasn't a flaw of his. The rotation of the central defenders and general lack of leadership won't help him there. He's still a young keeper, and the jump from Swindon to Rangers could play a part; I'd still have expected an experienced coach like Stewart to have addressed that though. 

I'm not suggesting Stewart was a bad coach. I just don't think moving him on was the terrible decision some fans suggested it was at the time. (Nor will hiring him be a bad move on Forest's part either.) 

1 minute ago, Aubie92 said:

His command of his box is poor; he frequently doesn't communicate with his defence, and seems to just expect them to know when he's going to claim a ball. I'm not going to pretend I saw him every week playing for Swindon, but from what I did see that wasn't a flaw of his. The rotation of the central defenders and general lack of leadership won't help him there. He's still a young keeper, and the jump from Swindon to Rangers could play a part; I'd still have expected an experienced coach like Stewart to have addressed that though. 

I'm not suggesting Stewart was a bad coach. I just don't think moving him on was the terrible decision some fans suggested it was at the time. (Nor will hiring him be a bad move on Forest's part either.) 

How could Jim Stewart have done anything about 'The rotation of the central defenders and general lack of leadership ' within the team, when he was coaching the gks? You give feint praise to Jim Stewart, and you said earlier that he was "good" but that 'we need someone who is going to try to work on the areas that our keepers need to improve in, rather than focusing on what they're already good at'; what!; how do you even know that to be true! The essence of what you are saying is that JS didn't work on a gk's weaknesses, and only worked on their strength; not so I would suggest.  

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

How could Jim Stewart have done anything about 'The rotation of the central defenders and general lack of leadership ' within the team, when he was coaching the gks? You give feint praise to Jim Stewart, and you said earlier that he was "good" but that 'we need someone who is going to try to work on the areas that our keepers need to improve in, rather than focusing on what they're already good at'; what!; how do you even know that to be true! The essence of what you are saying is that JS didn't work on a gk's weaknesses, and only worked on their strength; not so I would suggest.  

I didn't suggest he could do anything about the rotation of the central defence - I stated that I'd expect a coach of his calibre to have noted that Foderingham wasn't communicating with his defence, and his aerial ability at times left a lot to be desired. With instability at the back it's even more crucial that your keeper is taking command there, and Foderingham doesn't do that. 

Foderingham is a decent shot stopper; that's it. And he's gotten better under Stewart in that respect; we've had a good track record of shot stoppers going back to McGregor under Stewart. Foderingham didn't cone to us as an unknown; he was one of the best keepers in the lower leagues in England, and he hasn't improved in certain areas. Aye, you're right. For all I know Stewart spent countless hours trying to get Foderingham to improve in those areas and just couldn't; a coach can only do so much. But I'd expect more either way. 

Foderingham could get a better defence in front of him, still have those same flaws, aye. I'm just not seeing that replacing Stewart as something that's going to have a negative effect; if our gaffer believes he and his goalkeeping coach can do better, then we'll see. 

6 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

I didn't suggest he could do anything about the rotation of the central defence - I stated that I'd expect a coach of his calibre to have noted that Foderingham wasn't communicating with his defence, and his aerial ability at times left a lot to be desired. With instability at the back it's even more crucial that your keeper is taking command there, and Foderingham doesn't do that. 

Foderingham is a decent shot stopper; that's it. And he's gotten better under Stewart in that respect; we've had a good track record of shot stoppers going back to McGregor under Stewart. Foderingham didn't cone to us as an unknown; he was one of the best keepers in the lower leagues in England, and he hasn't improved in certain areas. Aye, you're right. For all I know Stewart spent countless hours trying to get Foderingham to improve in those areas and just couldn't; a coach can only do so much. But I'd expect more either way. 

Foderingham could get a better defence in front of him, still have those same flaws, aye. I'm just not seeing that replacing Stewart as something that's going to have a negative effect; if our gaffer believes he and his goalkeeping coach can do better, then we'll see. 

I agree with most of your points here, and if it had been your original point in this thread I wouldn't had any problem with it! I disagree about Foderingham not being an unknown though, in terms of playing at this club he will probably never experienced this before- he is playing for a club where he must win every match; will get less activity during a match and so on because our team is mostly in attack; and will be a better keeper for the experience of playing in our big games. The lower leagues anywhere is one thing, playing for Rangers is something else entirely; on that basis, Foderingham is a far better gk than he was when he joined us, no small thanks to people like JS.