Gascoigne

Don81

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His bit about the Orange Walks was pish though. I realise he wasn't clued up on these things, but he was talking as if the walks are just about going into predominantly RC areas, agitating them and then people get killed. 

1 minute ago, Virtuoso said:

Aye ?

01-214989.jpg

Unreal just how good Gazza was then. I mean, he was fantastic for us after serious injuries, but watching him in matches from that tournament I honestly think he'd have been the best midfielder in the world had he not injured himself in the '91 FA Cup Final. 

I didn't realise until watching that just how much nonsense the English team were having to put up with in the lead up to the tournament. I knew that Robson was given some amount of stick, but even then I only know that from reading his autobiography - I was only 2 in 1990 - but had no idea about some of the other stuff. 

46 minutes ago, Aubie92 said:

Unreal just how good Gazza was then. I mean, he was fantastic for us after serious injuries, but watching him in matches from that tournament I honestly think he'd have been the best midfielder in the world had he not injured himself in the '91 FA Cup Final. 

I didn't realise until watching that just how much nonsense the English team were having to put up with in the lead up to the tournament. I knew that Robson was given some amount of stick, but even then I only know that from reading his autobiography - I was only 2 in 1990 - but had no idea about some of the other stuff. 

We wouldn't have been able to sign him had he not had his bad injury though. 

Awful for him but was good for us. 

Guy was simply sensational. You just knew the second he got the ball magic would happen. 

6 hours ago, Queen's_highway said:

We wouldn't have been able to sign him had he not had his bad injury though. 

Awful for him but was good for us. 

Guy was simply sensational. You just knew the second he got the ball magic would happen. 

This is true. Could say something similar about Brian Laudrup; if he & his wife coped better with how fanatical Italians are about football, and the comparisons to his brother, he'd never have signed for us. Helensburgh seemed like paradise to him after being in Italy. 

13 minutes ago, delamonty said:

Even in Euro 1996 -- not fit.. but still the best England had by a mile. :tu:

Most of the England squad from France '98 still say dropping him was a mistake, as having him there gave them the confidence that they had someone that could change a game out of nowhere. 

1 hour ago, Aubie92 said:

Most of the England squad from France '98 still say dropping him was a mistake, as having him there gave them the confidence that they had someone that could change a game out of nowhere. 

Don't know about that. Read a couple of biographies (Ince/Shearer) claim he was drinking heavily (night/day) at their training camp in La Manga. 

His life unravelled from there 

10 minutes ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Don't know about that. Read a couple of biographies (Ince/Shearer) claim he was drinking heavily (night/day) at their training camp in La Manga. 

His life unravelled from there 

Could have the guys I'm thinking of were his usual drinking buddies then. :lol:

Those autobiographies worth a read?