Telfer

No ill feeling towards Telfer at all.  Was very highly rated when he was with us an wasn't getting a look in under McCoist.

That being said I'm glad he turned out to be shite after they were forced to pay full comp for him :mutley:

No bitterness here. I don't mind Dundee United at all. I grew up watching the wee Jum McLean's teams batter some of Europe's finest. I am just saddened to see so many youngsters badly advised these days. John Fleck, Lewis Macleod, Mini Messi from Dundee United who's name I cannot even remember. Ryan Gauld, that's it.

Billy Gilmour is the latest one and no doubt he'll fade into obscurity... Although from a Scotland perspective, I hope I am completely and utterly wrong.

i was at the youth cup final a few years ago  at new st mirren park when we beat hearts on pens to win the cup

charlie telfer was easily the best player on the park and this was against a hearts team that had 5 first team squad players  nicholson walker patterson  cant remember the other 2 

it was after that  he was not given a contract he wanted and went to dundee utd

it has went all wrong for the boy since then

telfer got a whopping half hour from mccoist in a season when the league was won in early march, he was at a time in his career when first team football was essential and didnt get assurances at rangers, he left to look after himself, like anyone else would do

for people to bear him a grudge is mental

30 minutes ago, Dickie1963 said:

He left us to join Dundee Utd. Maybe not the best word but didnt want to swear

Why should he have stayed if he had next to no chance of any first team football?

Dundee Hibs wouldn't have been my club of choice either but they offered him guaranteed first team opportunities, which McCoist didn't. 

Plus they were forced to pay us full compensation for him through a sea of Thompson's tears, which was enjoyable. 

4 minutes ago, there'sonlyoneamoruso said:

TBH, I was more angry at McCoist for not playing him than Telfer for leaving.

Good luck to the lad - it's still not too late to make it if he applies himself. Perhaps head to non-league down south.

Well he's done nothing since he left so maybe McCoist was right not to play him and most of the people who wanted him in the team despite most of them not being able to recognise him if he walked by them in the street were wrong as usual.

8 hours ago, MasterD said:

Well he's done nothing since he left so maybe McCoist was right not to play him and most of the people who wanted him in the team despite most of them not being able to recognise him if he walked by them in the street were wrong as usual.

I was angry at McCoist for making the lad assurances (was widely reported at the time) that he was in his plans, but then gave him one sub appearance. We'll never know how a run of games in League 1 at that time could have aided his development.

But as you've correctly pointed out (with the benefit of three years of hindsight) maybe Ally was right.

I hope he makes it as a pro somewhere, rather than quit football as others have suggested. 

I know Charlie personally, he is a good rangers man. Only reason he left was because of mccoist and his false promises. 

Was on a stag do with him recently and he was saying he had few clubs sniffing around, st mirren being one of them.

He is a very clever guy and wants to study law, which he will do eventually but think he will continue playing just now.

9 hours ago, MasterD said:

On the other hand, what's McCoist done since he left?

The same McCoist who seen Andy Robertson get MOM performances against us at Hampden for Queens park but would later rather bring in his pals like Ricky Foster instead of spotting the talent in front of him.

16 hours ago, MasterD said:

Spot on. Never doubt Sir Ally ?

10 hours ago, plumbGER said:

On the other hand, what's McCoist done since he left?

The same McCoist who seen Andy Robertson get MOM performances against us at Hampden for Queens park but would later rather bring in his pals like Ricky Foster instead of spotting the talent in front of him.

this, mccoist complained about jon dalys knees being fucked, all the while playing him in every single game AFTER the league was won back in 2014, i cannot believe that we missed out on andy robertson, he was miles ahead of the others at his age fr queens park

It wasn't so much that he left that pissed me off, but rather the fact that Dundee Hibs tried to get out of paying us a development fee for him because it was the oldco who trained him up. Cunts.

13 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

this, mccoist complained about jon dalys knees being fucked, all the while playing him in every single game AFTER the league was won back in 2014, i cannot believe that we missed out on andy robertson, he was miles ahead of the others at his age fr queens park

It's been done to death in here mate and well established that McCoist was fucking clueless.

My knees are sore from the gym and i find it hard functioning in general never mind running about a football pitch chasing long balls:lol: