Mayweather vs McGregor - August 26th

Ryan_1

4 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Ridiculous amount of people giving the old "aye but how long would Mayweather last in MMA" patter.

McGregor is a puncher from a boxing background who went in to a fight where he could only use a certain part of his skills he already had. Mayweather would need to train in a completely different sport to even be competitive. It's not even close to being the same.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't recall Mayweather ever claiming that he could go and take over MMA and become the new "God" of the sport either. McGregor wanted this fight, conned people into believing he was capable of doing something and now because he's been relentlessly slapped about for the vast majority of the fight the same people who were conned into believing in him are now making excuses for him. Geez peace.

Spot on.

Fight pretty much went as most predicted.

McGregors weird unorthodox style gave him joy before Mayweather sussed it and dominated. He was in complete control and finished it at will.

McGregor never looked like a boxer in there and tbh... I was surprised at how weak he looked as a puncher.

59 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Ridiculous amount of people giving the old "aye but how long would Mayweather last in MMA" patter.

McGregor is a puncher from a boxing background who went in to a fight where he could only use a certain part of his skills he already had. Mayweather would need to train in a completely different sport to even be competitive. It's not even close to being the same.

Unless I'm mistaken I don't recall Mayweather ever claiming that he could go and take over MMA and become the new "God" of the sport either. McGregor wanted this fight, conned people into believing he was capable of doing something and now because he's been relentlessly slapped about for the vast majority of the fight the same people who were conned into believing in him are now making excuses for him. Geez peace.

Seen a lot of these type of people sharing a post that Sky Bet put up earlier saying that McGregor landed 30 more punches on Mayweather than Pacquio did :lol:

13 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Seen a lot of these type of people sharing a post that Sky Bet put up earlier saying that McGregor landed 30 more punches on Mayweather than Pacquio did :lol:

All I've been reading all morning is posts about how brave he was. Cringeworthy stuff. Even the sky boxing panel were at it :lol:

I don't usually like Carl Froch but he's the only one that told it like it is last night.

16 minutes ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

McGregor's stamina was a massive letdown, amazing considering it takes more out of you throwing kicks etc than it does to throw your fists.

Absolutely shite talked his way into a fight with the best of all time which has to be admired.

He didn't talk his way into anything.

The pimp only agreed to fight him because he knew a lot of mugs would pay silly money and he would win easily

If no big money was on offer or if it was a real boxer he had to face he would have ignored McGregor completely

1 minute ago, folkestoneger said:

He didn't talk his way into anything.

The pimp only agreed to fight him because he knew a lot of mugs would pay silly money and he would win easily

If no big money was on offer or if it was a real boxer he had to face he would have ignored McGregor completely

No sure how he didn't talk himself into that then?

Mayweather certainly never instigated it.

1 minute ago, bombaybadboy08 said:

No sure how he didn't talk himself into that then?

Mayweather certainly never instigated it.

Didn't mean he was not the man asking for it just that Mayweather would have ignored him for all time if he didn't see easy money

He could have talked forever if not for that

It was clear that McGregor doesn't have any real power when it comes to a more technical striking style, as he had a physically smaller man, who is legendary for his defensive style pushing the action.

As a huge mma fan as well, this fight really has me second guessing myself about the overall standard of fighter in MMA.

35 minutes ago, Da Kool Blue said:

It was clear that McGregor doesn't have any real power when it comes to a more technical striking style, as he had a physically smaller man, who is legendary for his defensive style pushing the action.

As a huge mma fan as well, this fight really has me second guessing myself about the overall standard of fighter in MMA.

Wit, he won rounds against one of the best boxers ever, behave yourself

29 minutes ago, Da Kool Blue said:

Two totally different sports and ways of fighting. McGregors downfall was he stopped leading with his right foot and adopted a more squared stance as he does in mma which is for ease of throwing front kicks . This effectively cut any reach advantage he had. 

I was surprised how fresh Floyd looked for someone who hasnt boxed in 2 years and it was good to see him open up and fight. He isnt the most exciting boxer to watch but he is a class act. I will say the score cards showed everything that is wrong with boxing as Mcgregor won the 1 &2 and 4th rounds.

At the end of the day it showed athletes should stick to what they are good at, McGregor with more training could probably make a semi successful step over into boxing but he would never be an elite level boxer. Was more entertaining than I expected it to be though.

1 hour ago, folkestoneger said:

Didn't mean he was not the man asking for it just that Mayweather would have ignored him for all time if he didn't see easy money

He could have talked forever if not for that

McGregor convincing people that he could actually make it a competitive fight created the demand for it and that's why the fight was made.

Mayweather obviously wouldn't have agreed unless the money was right but it was McGregor's talking that generated the interest to make it possible.

3 hours ago, BigBearButt said:

Two totally different sports and ways of fighting. McGregors downfall was he stopped leading with his right foot and adopted a more squared stance as he does in mma which is for ease of throwing front kicks . This effectively cut any reach advantage he had. 

I was surprised how fresh Floyd looked for someone who hasnt boxed in 2 years and it was good to see him open up and fight. He isnt the most exciting boxer to watch but he is a class act. I will say the score cards showed everything that is wrong with boxing as Mcgregor won the 1 &2 and 4th rounds.

At the end of the day it showed athletes should stick to what they are good at, McGregor with more training could probably make a semi successful step over into boxing but he would never be an elite level boxer. Was more entertaining than I expected it to be though.

I dont know what the score cards said, but I gave McGregor round 1 (and maybe round 2) only. 

Mayweather took no risks at first and did a very professional job against a bigger man, who was an unknown quantity. The fight was a total mismatch and McGregor gassed completely and looked weak. 

McGregor is a great striker in UFC but it is a different discipline. Boxing, in its purest form, is a chess match of hit and not be hit. It isn't always fun to watch, but it requires supreme composure and skill to do at the top level. Any competant professional boxer is superior with timing, defence and technique to any MMA fighter when it comes to upright striking. Mayweather doesn't have as much pure power as McGregor - indeed at 40yrs old in that weight class he would be considered somewhat feather fisted by boxing standards, he would certainly amongst the lightest hitters at the higher levels of that division. However he hits with far more purpose than anyone McGregor has faced before. Raw power, in boxing, means nothing without timing, composure, patience and technique. Mayweather has those attributes in abundance and any decent boxer has too.

McGregor would win inside a minute in an MMA fight. Mayweather doesn't have the one punch power to keep McGregor off and keep the fight upright - as soon as it goes to ground - its over in under 30secs.