Mayweather vs McGregor - August 26th

Ryan_1

26 minutes ago, LeeWallaceRFC said:

The official fight purse was $30million to McGregor and $100million to Mayweather.

I think it needed to do over 5 million buys for McGregor to make anywhere close to 100m. Due to his split with the UFC, I reckon he'll walk away with around 60. 

23 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Aye for short fights, MMA guys can't fight for longer than 5 rounds, and there's way less moving, ducking, diving etc in MMA, a prime boxer would avoid the major shit in MMA long enough for his stamina to kick in

There may be less ducking, diving etc but the other aspects of MMA such as the ground game, clench work (especially against the cage) are very taxing on your cardio, deceptively so.

4 hours ago, lidorfc said:

There may be less ducking, diving etc but the other aspects of MMA such as the ground game, clench work (especially against the cage) are very taxing on your cardio, deceptively so.

Clearly not as much as boxing given mcgregor looked like an asthmatic in a house fire after 6minutes of boxing 

Don't think good cardio would have mattered as Floyd would have just fought differently. I was surprised by how little power McGregor must of had because Floyd had no respect for him at all and just walked him down for the whole fight like some pound shop Tyson. Never thought I'd see Mayweather do that. He looked just about done himself with his usual speed gone.

Have to laugh as McGregor looked pleased with himself afterwards but he only lasted because he was in against a smaller boxer with less power who was fighting in a way that is not his style. Seen people online saying he done better than Hatton as if Ricky spent most of the fight also going backwards. I was trying to give the boy credit but I doubt he is the real deal in his own sport either. Looked as if a wee guy like Mayweather hit harder and that he couldn't stand his ground against him. A bigger puncher his own size would have hurt him.   

18 hours ago, Badger said:

I dont know what the score cards said, but I gave McGregor round 1 (and maybe round 2) only. 

Mayweather took no risks at first and did a very professional job against a bigger man, who was an unknown quantity. The fight was a total mismatch and McGregor gassed completely and looked weak. 

McGregor is a great striker in UFC but it is a different discipline. Boxing, in its purest form, is a chess match of hit and not be hit. It isn't always fun to watch, but it requires supreme composure and skill to do at the top level. Any competant professional boxer is superior with timing, defence and technique to any MMA fighter when it comes to upright striking. Mayweather doesn't have as much pure power as McGregor - indeed at 40yrs old in that weight class he would be considered somewhat feather fisted by boxing standards, he would certainly amongst the lightest hitters at the higher levels of that division. However he hits with far more purpose than anyone McGregor has faced before. Raw power, in boxing, means nothing without timing, composure, patience and technique. Mayweather has those attributes in abundance and any decent boxer has too.

McGregor would win inside a minute in an MMA fight. Mayweather doesn't have the one punch power to keep McGregor off and keep the fight upright - as soon as it goes to ground - its over in under 30secs.

1 judge gave McGregor the opening 3 rounds and Mayweather the rest with round 9 scored as a 10-8 round.

The other 2 judges had it 1 round McGregor and 8 rounds Mayweather. 1 of them also scored round 9 as a 10-8 round.

I don't understand McGregor's blatant lack of endurance.

He was gradually nearing exhaustion from about the fifth round and even before then, he was breathing heavily. In that final 10th round, he was dead on his feet.

Yet, boxing involves 12 two minute rounds, collectively sitting at 24 minutes when completed. UFC is five rounds at five minutes each, amounting to 25 minutes.

I'm not a boxing, nor an MMA expert, but isn't MMA more taxing on the body? You're deadling with punches, like in boxing, but also kicks, knees, elbows, takedowns, grappling, the cage, etc. I'm not saying that boxing isn't demanding, but I just assumed an MMA fighter could go the distance in a boxing ring.

8 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

He was gradually nearing exhaustion from about the fifth round and even before then, he was breathing heavily. In that final 10th round, he was dead on his feet.

Yet, boxing involves 12 two minute rounds, collectively sitting at 24 minutes when completed. UFC is five rounds at five minutes each, amounting to 25 minutes.

I'm not a boxing, nor an MMA expert, but isn't MMA more taxing on the body? You're deadling with punches, like in boxing, but also kicks, knees, elbows, takedowns, grappling, the cage, etc. I'm not saying that boxing isn't demanding, but I just assumed an MMA fighter could go the distance in a boxing ring.

Are boxing rounds no 3 minutes ? McGregor was fucked after three though.

46 minutes ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

3 minute rounds. I expected to struggle cardio wise because the distance and pace is nearer and higher overall in boxing where your constantly in range and under pressure. You also need to be throwing and moving a lot more too in short sharp movements. With MMA I think the wrestling would be taxing as fuck but you can relax more often because of the amount of distance you are often allowed. I think most MMA guys would be ok with a training camp and against a boxer who is not a big pressure fighter but McGregor just seems to have bad cardio in general. 

2 hours ago, WeirFleckNRothen said:

Most of his fights are ended in the first round so he's never really had to rely on endurance.