Mayweather vs McGregor - August 26th

Ryan_1

18 hours ago, William McBeath said:

He would probably beat our local fighter Scott Quigg already and he's thought for Boxing world titles

You know that Quigg fights at 126 lbs right ? almost 30 lbs less than the fight on Saturday, that's not a good comparison. McGregor wouldn't win a British title at this stage (maybe after 15 odd fights he could if he was built like a proper prospect) that's how big a mismatch this is.

Mayweather should really be getting a stoppage here, if i had bigger balls i would empty my bank on it but i don't trust him to go for it.

5 hours ago, Billy Walsh said:

You know that Quigg fights at 126 lbs right ? almost 30 lbs less than the fight on Saturday, that's not a good comparison. McGregor wouldn't win a British title at this stage (maybe after 15 odd fights he could if he was built like a proper prospect) that's how big a mismatch this is.

Mayweather should really be getting a stoppage here, if i had bigger balls i would empty my bank on it but i don't trust him to go for it.

Not again man. I know Quigg is smaller I'm talking about ability wise. I think a double MMA champion who's background is boxing and who uses his fists to win his fights could convert to boxing and be fighting for a British title within a year. Lots of boxers don't have to wait 15 fights let alone a guy with his background in boxing and MMA. He has good timing, decent speed, power, accuracy, and with coaching and a couple of warm up fights would be able to have a crack at that level much quicker than a novice. I think he would probably be better than most and lots of them get a crack at a world title. Quigg had one for a while.

Another one near me is Prince Arron. He's done ok and won the British title without having great ability. He's bigger than McGregor but he would be at least as good as these sort of guys. Don't know why people think they're so superior to McGregor just because he's MMA. Its fighting not rocket science, especially at that level.

8 hours ago, William McBeath said:

Not again man. I know Quigg is smaller I'm talking about ability wise. I think a double MMA champion who's background is boxing and who uses his fists to win his fights could convert to boxing and be fighting for a British title within a year. Lots of boxers don't have to wait 15 fights let alone a guy with his background in boxing and MMA. He has good timing, decent speed, power, accuracy, and with coaching and a couple of warm up fights would be able to have a crack at that level much quicker than a novice. I think he would probably be better than most and lots of them get a crack at a world title. Quigg had one for a while.

Another one near me is Prince Arron. He's done ok and won the British title without having great ability. He's bigger than McGregor but he would be at least as good as these sort of guys. Don't know why people think they're so superior to McGregor just because he's MMA. Its fighting not rocket science, especially at that level.

What background in boxing does McGregor have? I didn't even know he had an amateur record??

If he has shown promise as an amateur then I get your point a bit.

If you are basing his boxing ability on his UFC record though, I just don't see it.

There is nothing to suggest he would have the ability as a boxer to challenge guys for a national title.

I am a big fan of both boxing and MMA, but top level boxing is still considerably ahead of top level MMA in terms of quality.

2 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

What background in boxing does McGregor have? I didn't even know he had an amateur record??

If he has shown promise as an amateur then I get your point a bit.

If you are basing his boxing ability on his UFC record though, I just don't see it.

There is nothing to suggest he would have the ability as a boxer to challenge guys for a national title.

I am a big fan of both boxing and MMA, but top level boxing is still considerably ahead of top level MMA in terms of quality.

FFS :lol:

I don't even like MMA but I just don't see why one of the UFC's top stand up fighters couldn't have a boxing career and do as well as a British title and maybe better. It's not really top level. It's not much better than state champions in the US. Maybe none of the MMA guys have the talent to become a decent enough boxer. I just fought it was a possibility. There has been guys who have crossed over from the likes of kickboxing and fought for world titles so I thought someone like McGregor who prefers to fight with his fists would have a chance. I believe he was into boxing before MMA and that why he's one of their best stand up fighters. I've watched for years and don't see why with time to train he couldn't be better than half the journeymen kicking around at the British level. Do you remember guys like Pat Clinton, Paul Weir, or even the likes of Quigg and Arron these days? The vast majority are not superhuman or madly talented people like Mayweather. That's why I don't think it's impossible that a MMA guy could be a decent enough boxer if they trained for it. But I'll defer to the opposing opinions on this one because I don't watch a lot of MMA and its not something I'm bothered about. 

Never thought I'd see myself standing up for the merits of MMA as I used to grimace when people put it on. My first post on this thread had MMA lads pulling me for being too critical of UFC guys as well :lol: 

2 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Apparently Mayweather has been in nightclubs every night and eating burgers and shit in the run up.

Still gonna fucking ruin McGregor.

Mayweather shows the public what he wants to show them. Seen it too many times before with him. He'll be as close to 100% as possible. ??

I will be glad when this fiasco is over and done with. Sky sports news are doing my head in with their shameless plugging of it, trying as best they can to get every last mug out there to part with their hard earned cash to watch what would be, if its not a fix, a foregone conclusion. As it gets nearer I'm thinking that Mayweather will let it go the distance, or near it, just so the mugs might fall for this sort of shite again.

16 minutes ago, MurrayWilson said:

I will be glad when this fiasco is over and done with. Sky sports news are doing my head in with their shameless plugging of it, trying as best they can to get every last mug out there to part with their hard earned cash to watch what would be, if its not a fix, a foregone conclusion. As it gets nearer I'm thinking that Mayweather will let it go the distance, or near it, just so the mugs might fall for this sort of shite again.

Said that was a possibility at the beginning they could have it in there heads for a trilogy 

14 hours ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Apparently Mayweather has been in nightclubs every night and eating burgers and shit in the run up.

Still gonna fucking ruin McGregor.

Floyd trying to get over his wee falling out with his wee pal Justin Bieber. :( It could affect him ....... 

I find it fascinating that McGregor and his camp are so unbelievably confident, which is part show, but I also 100% believe that they believe they'll do what they say they're going to do. 

Yet the wider public in the majority believe Mayweather won't even get touched and it's ludicrous to think otherwise. 

It's such a contrast, either McGregor is completely delusional or the wider public are ridiculously overlooking McGregor's skills, power and confidence. From that pov it's makes the fight worth watching. Can't wait. 

7 hours ago, Ryan_1 said:

I find it fascinating that McGregor and his camp are so unbelievably confident, which is part show, but I also 100% believe that they believe they'll do what they say they're going to do. 

Yet the wider public in the majority believe Mayweather won't even get touched and it's ludicrous to think otherwise. 

It's such a contrast, either McGregor is completely delusional or the wider public are ridiculously overlooking McGregor's skills, power and confidence. From that pov it's makes the fight worth watching. Can't wait. 

As a massive boxing fan this shouldn't be a contest.. As they week has gone on I have started to believe it will be for 4-6 rounds. Can't wait for it