The Final Resting Place of Moses McNeil’s Grandparents Found in County Down.

Moses McNeil’s mother Jane Louden Bain(Bean) was born in 1815 in Downpatrick County Down.

Her father was a Henry Bain(Bean) a grocer and general merchant,his parents came from Kilmore.

They came to Glasgow and Jane married a John McNeil from Comrie Perthshire  on the 31st December 1839.
The rest as they say is history.

Jane Louden Bain McNeil and John McNeil rest with their sons Peter and William in Craigton Cemetery Glasgow. 

2ajz0g4.jpg

The Bain/McNeil family story forms part of our Founders Presentation which we took across to Newtownards a couple of years ago, an event which was organised by a good friend of the project Alan Ferguson from Ballynahinch.

Alan was intrigued by the story of Moses family link with the Downpatrick  area and has spent the last couple of years researching their story but unfortunately ran into the usual problems of lost records and names being misspelt on documents

Just last week Alan contacted us full of joy as he’d finally made the breakthrough.

He’s located the final resting places of the Great Grandparents and Grandparents of our Founder Moses McNeil in the grounds of Down Cathedral in Downpatrick.

rmntj5.jpg

sl37yr.jpg

Both graves are only yards from the plot of St.Patrick.

On top of this another mystery may have been solved.

Moses brothers and sisters had fairly ordinary names, Peter, Elizabeth, William, John, James, Henry, Isabella and Alexander and then along came Moses, who’s name was a break from the mould,this  has always intrigued us.

Alan’s research has discovered that the family minister back in Kilmore in 1833 was a MOSES Black.

We’d like to thank Alan for his research which he stuck with through periods of frustration.

This has added another layer to what is a wonderful  story.

Brilliant stuff as usual from this poster. Love hearing about our history. I have the Pioneers book but have yet to read it. I know, its shameful. But this is a huge thing for me. That lot are flying tri-colours from their managers tracksuits yet because of David Murray we seem to have become almost ashamed of our NI support. Being in England I've seen first hand the decline in our prestige by public views of our tops never mind people saying they support us or have us as their 2nd team. We were fucking huge down here when I was younger.

Its strange now but people were not sure if Man U were bigger. That's how it was before SKY. The only doubt was about quality as their league was always had more big teams. The reason I mention this is because I hear EPL teams are encroaching into our nations. Being a two nation club has always been a privilege that most clubs don't have. Now I hear there are Chelsea tops all over NI. Our club must be idiots not to promote our links with NI. That mob rip it to impossible levels. I've still to hear why we don't though given its what clubs all over the world want. We are a true two nation club but its as if we don't want it.

Its time we went to town on all our commercial let alone national and social advantages. Are we going to just let English clubs and the bollocks in the media about the OO allow us to lose a fortune and become smaller. We are and should be NI's club. This was already true but this news from the Moonlighter should just make it more obvious. Its time we were proud of our two nation tradition before its lost. Most clubs would give anything for our support in NI yet we seem to overlook it because the Daily Record says its sectarian. Time we remembered that we have two nations supporting us and promoted it as much as possible.      

Not sure about the claim that we are ashamed of our NI support. Personally, I totally embrace it. I did a family tree study and discovered my great great grandfather was born in Ballymena in 1851 and arrived in Glasgow in the 1860's. 

Historically, there has been migration to and from Scotland/Ulster for centuries. Both my genealogy and this are just 2 examples of a deep connection between both countries. Govan shipyards became flooded with Belfast Dockers not long after the First World War.  It was really at this point that we became the Protestant/Unionist football club we are today. It's at the very core of our history and traditions and not one Bear(ette) should feel anything other than deep pride in this connection. 

8 hours ago, William McBeath said:

Brilliant stuff as usual from this poster. Love hearing about our history. I have the Pioneers book but have yet to read it. I know, its shameful. But this is a huge thing for me. That lot are flying tri-colours from their managers tracksuits yet because of David Murray we seem to have become almost ashamed of our NI support. Being in England I've seen first hand the decline in our prestige by public views of our tops never mind people saying they support us or have us as their 2nd team. We were fucking huge down here when I was younger.

Its strange now but people were not sure if Man U were bigger. That's how it was before SKY. The only doubt was about quality as their league was always had more big teams. The reason I mention this is because I hear EPL teams are encroaching into our nations. Being a two nation club has always been a privilege that most clubs don't have. Now I hear there are Chelsea tops all over NI. Our club must be idiots not to promote our links with NI. That mob rip it to impossible levels. I've still to hear why we don't though given its what clubs all over the world want. We are a true two nation club but its as if we don't want it.

Its time we went to town on all our commercial let alone national and social advantages. Are we going to just let English clubs and the bollocks in the media about the OO allow us to lose a fortune and become smaller. We are and should be NI's club. This was already true but this news from the Moonlighter should just make it more obvious. Its time we were proud of our two nation tradition before its lost. Most clubs would give anything for our support in NI yet we seem to overlook it because the Daily Record says its sectarian. Time we remembered that we have two nations supporting us and promoted it as much as possible.      

6 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Not sure about the claim that we are ashamed of our NI support. Personally, I totally embrace it. I did a family tree study and discovered my great great grandfather was born in Ballymena in 1851 and arrived in Glasgow in the 1860's. 

Historically, there has been migration to and from Scotland/Ulster for centuries. Both my genealogy and this are just 2 examples of a deep connection between both countries. Govan shipyards became flooded with Belfast Dockers not long after the First World War.  It was really at this point that we became the Protestant/Unionist football club we are today. It's at the very core of our history and traditions and not one Bear(ette) should feel anything other than deep pride in this connection. 

We recently presented the Founders Story in Clough County Antrim.

The effort those guys make travelling to Ibrox and back sometimes twice a week is humbling. I complain if stuck in traffic for an extra 15 minutes on the way home.

The Club at the very least should be regularly sending staff and players around NI to show our appreciation.

If there was an annual convention held in Belfast , as they do in North America, it would pack out.

This is something that the Club has to seriously look at.

12 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

Very true ... my dad's family were Antrim farmers and even though I'm the first generation who haven't been back (yet) there's always a nice familiarity that comes from hearing an accent from across the water at the Brox.

Fans who have to journey far to do what we locals take for granted are very much the life blood of our great club  

12 hours ago, Deanzmeanzheinz said:

I don't mean the support. I mean the club itself. It could do a lot more to promote our links to NI. The way Murray got rid of Findlay for singing the sash was evidence of our club being less than proud of it's historical links with NI. Practically every Rangers supporter has been brought up singing it at Ibrox yet the club sacked the guy. 

6 hours ago, The Moonlighter said:

We recently presented the Founders Story in Clough County Antrim.

The effort those guys make travelling to Ibrox and back sometimes twice a week is humbling. I complain if stuck in traffic for an extra 15 minutes on the way home.

The Club at the very least should be regularly sending staff and players around NI to show our appreciation.

If there was an annual convention held in Belfast , as they do in North America, it would pack out.

This is something that the Club has to seriously look at.

Yeah I completely agree. We should do as much as we can to stop our support in NI drifting away to EPL clubs.