They've only won two!!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lloyd72

KING TAUNT 

Rangers chairman Dave King tells Celtic they will NEVER win ten-in-a-row – insisting only TWO titles have been won in direct competition with Gers

The Ibrox chief has dismissed the notion Brendan Rodgers’ men are targeting a seventh straight success

By Andy Devlin

24th June 2017, 10:30 pm

DAVE KING has lit the blue touch paper under the new SPFL season by claiming Celtic ‘won’t even get close’ to winning ten-in-a-row.

The Gers chairman has even dismissed the notion Brendan Rodgers’ men are targeting a seventh straight success.

King has written off four of Celtic’s championships

With his side out of the top-flight picture for four years, King insists only TWO of Celtic’s six successive championships have been won while in direct competition with Rangers.

Keep up to date with ALL the latest news, transfers and goals from Scottish football plus fixtures, results and live match commentary

Earlier this week, King brokered the peace deal with Mike Ashley which frees the Ibrox side from the clutches of Sports Direct — promising millions of pounds worth of immediate income.

And King said: “My response to ten-in-a-row is this — Celtic have got two-in-a-row. They would need to win another eight to get to ten. Do I think there’s a chance they could win another eight before we win the league title? No.

“Celtic have six league titles but the concept of nine-in-a-row is a competition between Rangers and Celtic.

“If Rangers went into the English Premier League and Celtic stayed behind in Scotland and won 20 league titles there would be no point saying to Rangers fans they had won 20-in-a-row because it’s irrelevant if Rangers are not there.

“Rangers were removed from the top league for four years. Celtic have the titles but they don’t have nine-in-a-row against Rangers — it only recommenced this season. As far as Rangers are concerned Celtic don’t have six-in-a-row, they’ve got two.

“They’ll never get ten, never get to ten. They won’t even get close.”

While King is targeting domestic silverware this season, he’s also eyeing a sustained run in Europa League.

The club returns to the European stage after a six-year absence and while just one first-round team — Maccabi Haifa — out of 100 made it through to the group stages last season, King insisted: “Being back in Europe is absolutely vital.

“It would have harder for Pedro Caixinha to bring in some of the players he’s attracted. I’m not sure someone like Alves would have signed without European football.

“If we would have missed the Europa League this year it would have been tantamount to failure in everything we have been doing to take the club forward.

“It would have been a disaster if we hadn’t made the Europa League. It was critical.

King says Celtic ‘won’t even get close’ to winning ten-in-a-row

“We are unseeded, but with the resources we have the first two rounds should be manageable.

“It’s really going to depend if we land an Everton or a Villarreal in that final game, we won’t be seeded.

“Rangers is not a small club, we’re a club that’s being rehabilitated and that one in 100 should certainly be a lot less for us.

“I’m optimistic we can make the group stages.”

King was this week celebrating his biggest victory since ousting the previous Rangers regime.

Hamstrung by a toxic retail deal between Sports Direct tycoon Ashley and Gers’ former chief executive Charles Green, the Ibrox side were missing out on a multi-million pound jackpot.

King always knew he had to remove the spectre of Ashley if he was to restore Rangers to its former glory and on Wednesday afternoon, at precisely 2.54pm, he came good on that pledge made to supporters.

But he stressed: “Vindication might be a bit strong, but there’s a certain level of satisfaction. It’s something that was clearly incredibly important to the club.

“It was challenging, it was always going to be challenging, so there was always going to be a feeling of satisfaction at achieving what we did.

King has dismissed notion that Rodgers’ men are targeting seventh title on the trot

“You’ve got the added burden of it not just being a commercial issue but we made a commitment to the supporters indicating that within the first three years we expect to do these things.

“Getting the retail division back under control was certainly one of those things.

“It took longer than I expected. If you asked me at that point if I thought it would take two years of a very bruising and personal battle then I wouldn’t have expected it.

“So there’s a sense of satisfaction that we hung in there and got the right deal for Rangers.

“The supporters will judge if it was a credibility issue.

“Even if we couldn’t achieve it I don’t think it would necessarily have become a credibility issue.

“It’s an area, where at the time of regime change, put their trust in a group of people and part of that trust was that we could achieve this sort of thing.

“It’s good to have done it.”

King’s peace deal with Ashley will inject millions of pounds worth of fresh income into Gers with King promising to continue to back Gers gaffer Pedro Caixinha in the transfer market.

He added: “The plan that Pedro has in place we’d have to fund anyway. What this will do is give him more flexibility in January. This was unbudgeted for. We were running things on the assumption we had no income from retail.

“It meant any shortfall had to come from soft loans from various directors.

“This will bring an immediate revenue stream into the club and will give Stewart and the director of football some flexibility in January. We will have cash we didn’t expect to have.

“It saves me knocking on the door and saying to Douglas Park, ‘Douglas, can you write me another cheque.’

“We have to get to the point where we don’t need soft loans. That point will come when we’re back in Europe on a regular basis.

“If we manage the club on the basis we will have regular European income then we will be nearly there. We have been running the club on a Championship budget.

“Once we are in balance we can move away from soft loans.”

Think OP is referring to this.

Just wish King would keep his mouth shut sometimes.

i get what he's saying but in no way should we be trying to make excuses. the sooner we stop them the better. doesn't matter if they win 1 title, 2 titles, or 10 titles...we should be winning that  title every year.

that said, i'll never get tired of winding them up.

well played king. 

Guest Lloyd72
1 minute ago, 55Bear said:

Sounds like a Record article spinning words again? 

From the sun Mate and It's a real quote mate apparently.

8 minutes ago, Bears r us said:

He really should be keeping that opinion to himself IMO. :duh:

Quite.  Just quietly get on with ENSURING we have a team that will stop the 10 in a row abomination.  If you don't have the money,  seek other investors. If you can't find any set up something with the fans to put money in.  Just get it sorted.

6 minutes ago, 55Bear said:

Wouldn't cling to that claim. A title is a title regardless of if we're there or not. If they got shunned down the league's would we hold our hands up and admit a hollow victory? Doubt it. 

Gies peace buddy. You're honestly saying your counting those tainted titles when they had no competition?