Bates

Just caught up on the match thread after the game.

Must admit I am surprised to see Bates get some fairly heavy criticism.

I honestly thought the boy hardly put a foot wrong. Was one point where I thought he had got wrong side of the attacker, think it was around 70mins. He fairly easily dealt with it and just powered him out the way.

Far better option than Kiernan. 

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I honestly thought the boy hardly put a foot wrong. Was one point where I thought he had got wrong side of the attacker, think it was around 70mins. He fairly easily dealt with it and just powered him out the way.

He isn't good enough, and more to the point doesn't look as if he has the potential to be any better.

3 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

The guy in wheelchair outside selling sweets is a far better option than kiernan

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

He's okay but I still don't fully trust him I feel a half decent centre forward would take him easily. Not tested tonight against plumbers and joiners imo

Read someone say he looks like a disaster waiting to happen, then someone else say yes, but he's yet to have a disaster. 

Couldn't have put it better myself. Sometimes he looks a but rough around the edges, but he reads the game well, he made an interception, first half i think, which was great and he stepped up with the ball. 

I'm a lot more confident in the defence. Especially with jack and rossiter being available to protect the back 4 if needed. 

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

He isn't good enough, and more to the point doesn't look as if he has the potential to be any better.

What did he do wrong tonight that makes you think that? I just dont get it?

I doubt he is going to become world class or anything great, but realistically, he is our 4th choice. Alves, Cardosa and Wilson ahead of him. I would happily keep him as 4th choice and send the other boys out to get some experience on loan. Bates at least has the physicality to deal with adults at the moment.

He jumps lower than his standing position.

He has no physicality about him.

He appears lethargic in his general style.

He gets pulled out if position very easily.

He got caught napping and cost a chance against us. Jack bawled him out.

Simple passes he always plays behind a player's position.

He exudes worry not authority.

He is shite.

Better than Kiernan certainly, still looked rusty tonight but apart from a lack of pace and composure in the opponent's box we could have the makings of a central defender here. Don't see him playing before Albee or Cardoso but he will be an adequate stand-in.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

What did he do wrong tonight that makes you think that? I just dont get it?

I doubt he is going to become world class or anything great, but realistically, he is our 4th choice. Alves, Cardosa and Wilson ahead of him. I would happily keep him as 4th choice and send the other boys out to get some experience on loan. Bates at least has the physicality to deal with adults at the moment.

He passed a diagonal ball right to one of their players; well, you did ask. If you think he is a good enough CB for Rangers then I will leave you, happily, to your opinion. 

1 minute ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

He jumps lower than his standing position.

He has no physicality about him.

He appears lethargic in his general style.

He gets pulled out if position very easily.

He got caught napping and cost a chance against us. Jack bawled him out.

Simple passes he always plays behind a player's position.

He exudes worry not authority.

He is shite.

I honestly couldnt agree less with this point on tonights showing.

I think he did okay, again. Defensively I think he is pretty sound. Strong in the tackle, good positioning and decent in the air. His biggest asset IMO is he is a defender who knows how to defend, and at 20 years of age or whatever he is, I think that's fairly commendable. Playing for us is hard at the best of times but to do so in difficult times can't be easy. Of course, he does look cumbersome with the ball at his feet and his distribution is pretty poor but I think that's something that can and will improve as he gets older and plays with better players.

He was thrown in at the deep end, and if McCrorie wasn't out on loan he may not have got his chance. However, he got his chance and IMO he has taken his chance. He's no world beater but I think he is a pretty solid option as one of our 5/6 centre half options. You'd expect Alves and Cardoso as 1 and 2 and then you have D Wilson, A Wilson, McCrorie and Bates. That's not too bad IMO...........

2 minutes ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

That means fuck all.

Like saying we scored, so how can anyone say any if our forwards were shite.

Ok maybe its not the be all and end all, if he had 2 major fuck ups and fod had kept us in the game then I'd understand criticism, but thought the defence did fine, kept a clean sheet, handled the big guy up top relatively well. Not really sure he needs criticised after that.