Results you never really get over.

Bighouse

Before the other night the only games that would stick in my craw forever where Manchester, the Hivs cup final and Kilmarnock in 98.

We will now be telling our grand kids about the Luxembourg game as a warning from history.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will get over this result. Hell, some people will forget the name of the team who beat us in 20 years.

I remember the year after our CL 'semi final' and how I was looking forward to going one better, only to see us knocked out in qualifying in the last minute. I thought I'd never get over that but I did. Still struggle to remember their name. Or maybe I've just blocked it out..... :lol:

don,t think you were around in october 1957...worst ever result  ion the cup final when aitken ran the ball out  just picked it up and took the throw whici garh stevens passed back short and we lost the final cant remember the year,might have been the riot game at hampden and 1967 we played b.munich off the park and lost the final 1/0.

For it being such a good season there are afew from the Manchester season which still haunt me. The final itself, the midweek game at the piggery when they scored in the last minute to beat us 2-1 after novo eaqualised for us and the Aberdeen game we lost when the tarriers won the league were all devestating. 

2 minutes ago, Billy1984 said:

For it being such a good season there are afew from the Manchester season which still haunt me. The final itself, the midweek game at the piggery when they scored in the last minute to beat us 2-1 after novo eaqualised for us and the Aberdeen game we lost when the tarriers won the league were all devestating. 

Came so close to doing a triple that season, or was it a quadruple. :(

The way that season fizzled out was heartbreaking,we were well and truly shafted by our fixture list imagine the outcry if that had been the tarriers,must be the only football association in the world that would actively handicap one of their sides in a European final

11 minutes ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

don,t think you were around in october 1957...worst ever result  ion the cup final when aitken ran the ball out  just picked it up and took the throw whici garh stevens passed back short and we lost the final cant remember the year,might have been the riot game at hampden and 1967 we played b.munich off the park and lost the final 1/0.

1989 Cup Final when Miller scored for them from our throw in. 

1 minute ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Any heavy defeat to that mob, especially the 5-1 at Ibrox.

The Hibs final.

Being slaughtered over 2 legs by a piss poor Motherwell side.

All of the above hurt much more than any European defeat I can think of.

Even Manchester?

16 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

We will get over this result. Hell, some people will forget the name of the team who beat us in 20 years.

I remember the year after our CL 'semi final' and how I was looking forward to going one better, only to see us knocked out in qualifying in the last minute. I thought I'd never get over that but I did. Still struggle to remember their name. Or maybe I've just blocked it out..... :lol:

Levski Sofia.

Childhood trauma right there.

Motherwell the game after Manchester final killed me most. I'm sure cousin was through 1 on 1 with keeper. Ment we were always going to be dependent on them dropping points. 

Kilmarnock 98 was a good shout as well can still remember them breaking away and scoring. 

Falkirk twice last year really pissed me off too.

Just now, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

Definitely. We were the underdogs in Manchester and we all knew it, Zenit were class that season.

It still hurt but it was expected. 

I remember feeling like it must have been our year the way we'd sraped through so many rounds and luck just seemed to be on our side. Like you say they were a great side but I was gutted leaving the ground that night. 

AEK Athens was another in 94

lauders and Boli in the team. I'm sure boli was playing on the wing at one point during that game. Remember seen bears fighting each other walking out people were that pissed off. Now famous for the chic young Walter video of course . 

That the other night was a sore one, rightly or wrongly I felt we were starting to turn a corner, for the first time in a while we seemed to hit a run of good news...........then that shite.

Hey ho, the show must go on, god knows why but I retain the feeling we can have a good season - admittedly I thought Warburton would get it right longer than most so don't really deserve listened to.

Home and away to Bayern Munich were hard results to take back when times were much better- as we deserved victories in both.

When all is said and done I have without doubt many, many more happy memories than festering defeats - feel for the youngsters that have only known the last few years but then they will appreciate the good times when they inevitably come.