Results you never really get over.

Bighouse

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole champions league campaign of 95/96 season was a nightmare decent goal from gazza aside. 

Now I think of it the 96/97 one might have been worse. Beat of grasshoppers first game. 

Victoria Zizkov

It was an away goal at the end that put us out. I was a wee guy at the time and was pure confused and angry at us drawing over the 2 legs and still getting put out. Still hate the away goal rule to this day.

5 minutes ago, davger said:

The whole champions league campaign of 95/96 season was a nightmare decent goal from gazza aside. 

Now I think of it the 96/97 one might have been worse. Beat of grasshoppers first game. 

2 good draws with Dortmund mate , they were some side then 

5 hours ago, Bighouse said:

Levski Sofia.

Childhood trauma right there.

The wife blamed Walter Smith for that one, i asked how the fuck do you work that out, she said  " if he'd brought on the subs, they'd never had time to score  "  I sat there thinking " she's fucking right "

My Childhood trauma was 1969 Scottish cup final, scarred for life

No bullshitting or exaggeration, but the Hibs Cup final still haunts me now. The dramatic result reversal was bad enough but the aftermath, the scandalous treatment of our players, Lee Wallace in particular, the disgraceful refusal of Hibs to acknowledge what had happened, and then the refusal of the Scottish  FA and other authorities to punish Hibs and apologise to Rangers for the crimes inflicted on players and fans is utterly appalling. I will never get over what happened that day and hate Hibs, and will hate every one connected with the club that day, till the day I die.

CUNTS

I'll go to my grave raging at the Hibs cup final tbh. We played so fucking shite, and were still somehow winning with 7 minutes to go. To lose it from there,  endure the scenes after the game and the nationwide justification of what happened because it was us is still fucking infuriating. We owe they cunts big style, on and off the park. 

20 minutes ago, Vanoli said:

I'll go to my grave raging at the Hibs cup final tbh. We played so fucking shite, and were still somehow winning with 7 minutes to go. To lose it from there,  endure the scenes after the game and the nationwide justification of what happened because it was us is still fucking infuriating. We owe they cunts big style, on and off the park. 

The disappearance of MW after that result and all through the summer was a real eye opener for me as well, just knew something was up there. Particularly when Barton signed, the biggest signing we had made in years, no press comment from him at all. Coaching course my arse, he was away touting himself about to every English Championship team who would listen.

FC Cologne 1978, Quarter-Final of the European Cup

Second leg at Ibrox having lost the game in Germany 1-0.

IIRC the game was called off and played on the Thursday but we couldn't get the win we needed to get into the semi's of a competition that Malmo reached the final (and were beaten by Clough's Nottingham Forrest).

Finished 1-1

-------

Ironically the other that comes to mind was another 1-1 draw in similar circumstances regards success in the European Cup/CL.

Marseille (A)

Whilst it was actually an excellent result on the face of it, once we equalised, we had 38 minutes left to score a winner and get to a European Cup Final, albeit a diffcult ask. Watching it, I knew that was where it was going to be decided, the French were always going to beat Bruges in their final game.

4-2 to the scum at the pedo dome when they had 10 men after the wee rat doyle was sent of drawing 2_2 with 10 mins to go to win the treble and we fucked it up. Hamilton putting us out the Scottish cup at ibrox, levski Sophia when todorov scored a screamer in the very last minute ect ect but you get over them in time. Let's just hope the team has learned a valuable lesson in Luxembourg and we don't see anything like that kind of result again.

15 hours ago, sandyinroyalblue said:

1979 losing 4-2 to the beasts and blowing the chance of back to back trebles and 3 trebles in 4 years.

Still sickens me

This was the only one for me. None other bothered me as much. Now thanks to Pedro,  38 years later ive had another  2 in the space of a few months.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

FC Cologne 1978, Quarter-Final of the European Cup

Second leg at Ibrox having lost the game in Germany 1-0.

IIRC the game was called off and played on the Thursday but we couldn't get the win we needed to get into the semi's of a competition that Malmo reached the final (and were beaten by Clough's Nottingham Forrest).

Finished 1-1

-------

Ironically the other that comes to mind was another 1-1 draw in similar circumstances regards success in the European Cup/CL.

Marseille (A)

Whilst it was actually an excellent result on the face of it, once we equalised, we had 38 minutes left to score a winner and get to a European Cup Final, albeit a diffcult ask. Watching it, I knew that was where it was going to be decided, the French were always going to beat Bruges in their final game.

The Cologne  game was postponed on the Wednesday  because of snow if i remember correctly.  We really fancied ourselves in the 2nd leg and it was a gutter the way it worked out. Billy Urquhart kneeing the ball over the bar from 6 yards kinda summed it up.

One of the posters mentioned the 1969 Scottish Cup Final and I was there, reasonably sober.  Almost 0-1 at half-time and next thing, it's 0-3, making mistakes all over the park.  I think they even scored a fifth goal in the second half but it was ruled offside.  And to think that Davie White had opened the gates at Ibrox to let the fans see the parade of the trophy.

I was also present at the 1957 League Cup Final and even though it was a bad doing, my dad and I stayed to cheer on the players.  Still a trauma.

1 hour ago, BILLYBOY50 said:

4-2 to the scum at the pedo dome when they had 10 men after the wee rat doyle was sent of drawing 2_2 with 10 mins to go to win the treble and we fucked it up. Hamilton putting us out the Scottish cup at ibrox, levski Sophia when todorov scored a screamer in the very last minute ect ect but you get over them in time. Let's just hope the team has learned a valuable lesson in Luxembourg and we don't see anything like that kind of result again.

Agree with you over the 4-2 game, that was a real sickener and, although we didn't know at the time, signalled the end of an era.

The Levski game was hard to take also coming after the great Euro campaign the season before. Listened to the away game on radio.  We were going through one minute into injury time and won a corner.  Thought that was it, turned off the radio briefly to answer the door.  When I switched it back on, heard immediately the noise from the Levski fans and knew we had blown it. The screamer you mentioned was scored about 30 sec after we threw in a long corner, talk about throwing the game away.

17 hours ago, thedarvelmarvel said:

don,t think you were around in october 1957...worst ever result  ion the cup final when aitken ran the ball out  just picked it up and took the throw whici garh stevens passed back short and we lost the final cant remember the year,might have been the riot game at hampden and 1967 we played b.munich off the park and lost the final 1/0.

Heaps of them: League Cup final, 19th October 1957 at Hampden was the worst by far...May 1961 European Cup Winners' Cup Final  hammered 6-1 on aggregate by Fiorentina...First round Scottish Cup, January 1967 totally embarrassed by Berwick Rangers....European Cup winners cup final against Bayern Munich,May 1967 when we should have won. I think that's enough for any Bear to forget, never mind the modern era.

14 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

Berwick and Luxembourg, they are on a par.  Sadly that defeat in January 1967 led to panic-mode and a hunt for scapegoats.  One of those blamed and binned was Jim Forrest, a decision which, even as a kid at the time I knew probably, cost us the ECWC final in May of the same year.  

Panic mode can have repercussions.

After games like Berwick and the other night, fans are so sickened they look for somebody's head.  At times like these, those in charge need to hold their nerve and use their head.  Should never make long term decisions based on a single bad/catastrophic performance imo.  Making Jim Forrest (and George McLean) scapegoats for Berwick and the repercussions are lessons from history.