Marseille at Ibrox - 22nd July

1 minute ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Stocky build. Low centre of gravity, and very explosive. Quite an exciting player to watch.

Yeah I remember he looked good. I've heard some of those fenian mutts making out that the CL was easy that year which is laughable if you see the teams and amount of games they played to win the prehistoric version but there really was some excellent players involved that year. First time I seen Cantona too and we really should have been in for him as even I nodded my head in appreciation when he scored at Elland Rd as he deserved one and had been a threat all night. That boy Voller was a menace at Ibrox. Abedi Pele was a bag of tricks and Boksic was a big danger. Makes you realise how good big Gough was to limit them. I mind we were all over the place first half at Ibrox but then grew into the game and settled and could go toe-to-toe with them as we proved in France. Forget big Desailly was with Boli at the back for them so fair play to our lot for getting the goals too. Always thought Durrant was class that season. When I watched the Leeds games a few months ago it stood out for me just how good he was that season in Europe despite his lay off from injury.

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Yeah I remember he looked good. I've heard some of those fenian mutts making out that the CL was easy that year which is laughable if you see the teams and amount of games they played to win the prehistoric version but there really was some excellent players involved that year. First time I seen Cantona too and we really should have been in for him as even I nodded my head in appreciation when he scored at Elland Rd as he deserved one and had been a threat all night. That boy Voller was a menace at Ibrox. Abedi Pele was a bag of tricks and Boksic was a big danger. Makes you realise how good big Gough was to limit them. I mind we were all over the place first half at Ibrox but then grew into the game and settled and could go toe-to-toe with them as we proved in France. Forget big Desailly was with Boli at the back for them so fair play to our lot for getting the goals too. Always thought Durrant was class that season. When I watched the Leeds games a few months ago it stood out for me just how good he was that season in Europe despite his lay off from injury.

Totally agree. Crazy but true, Marseille didn't have to cheat. They were very good.

1 hour ago, saintbob1969 said:

Aye, all my life I've supported this club, but the irony of Rangers supporters whining like Cellic supporters about cheating not really impacting on some weans on here. Rangers belong at the big table. Maybe we aren't there yet, but we will be. Playing games against European sides is exactly what Ibrox was built for and exactly the path we should take on our way back.

What the feck are you on about? Please explain why we should invite cheating bassas to Ibrox?

Are you saying we can't get other European teams to come to Ibrox? 

4 minutes ago, OneDavidCooper said:

Totally agree. Crazy but true, Marseille didn't have to cheat. They were very good.

Yeah that's what I was just thinking. I think that's what stopped us all going nuts at the time as we recognised a class act when we seen them. Got to laugh as this thread put me in a bad mood then the memories of it all have lifted me :lol:

I suppose its the same with all clubs. The fucking owners let us down. Will never be my favourite outfit though right enough. Murray really should have put pressure on EUFA but looking back I think he was friendly with that Tappie cunt.

No doubt their fans have put up with as much shite domestically as we have so probably best if we don't make a big deal of this. It really is shite how we as fans suffer and our clubs get tarnished because of owners.

See to be honest with you, they actually were a better footballing side than us. Not that it matters as we could have beaten anyone on our day but it does make it easier to accept.

If any of their old board are still present though we should spike the bastards with acid :mutley:

2 minutes ago, William McBeath said:

Yeah that's what I was just thinking. I think that's what stopped us all going nuts at the time as we recognised a class act when we seen them. Got to laugh as this thread put me in a bad mood then the memories of it all have lifted me :lol:

I suppose its the same with all clubs. The fucking owners let us down. Will never be my favourite outfit though right enough. Murray really should have put pressure on EUFA but looking back I think he was friendly with that Tappie cunt.

No doubt their fans have put up with as much shite domestically as we have so probably best if we don't make a big deal of this. It really is shite how we as fans suffer and our clubs get tarnished because of owners.

See to be honest with you, they actually were a better footballing side than us. Not that it matters as we could have beaten anyone on our day but it does make it easier to accept.

If any of their old board are still present though we should spike the bastards with acid :mutley:

And Tapie almost became President of France lol. Imagine him and Trump.

It was bitter sweet but those were great days and despite the present gloom I am convinced the great days will return.

All the best.

1 minute ago, cushynumber said:

Aye, cause we would pick them. Ever. 

Fuck sake.

You did say Marseille were "the last team I would ever have wanted to play in a friendly", not that they were "the last team I would ever have realistically wanted to play in a friendly".

Fuck sake.