• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goram

Stevens  Gough  Butcher  Robertson

Walters  Gascoigne. Souness. Laudrup

M. Johnston  Hateley

Subs - Klos, Numan, Steven, McCoist, McCall, Moore, McCann

Manager - Dick Advocaat, best football I ever saw us play was under him.

On 17 July 2017 at 10:50 PM, siddiqi_drinker said:

Davie was more gifted but Bud was faster, more consistent and banged in more goals so I'd have to agree, plus you never knew when he was going to belt someone   :whistle:

Just no characters in our team for a long time. I get the feeling Alves will soon break that mould.

35 minutes ago, Blue Avenger said:

Just no characters in our team for a long time. I get the feeling Alves will soon break that mould.

could be right but it seems to be the modern way to drive the characters out of the game, just look at the criticism Gazza got from some of our own 'fans'.  Imagine the outcry if a Wee Bud type sat on the ball against the Germans or the tarriers, he'd be hounded by social media or a Kanchelskis type standing on the ball and saluting, they are determined to sanitise the game and take out the individualism.  

11 hours ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

could be right but it seems to be the modern way to drive the characters out of the game, just look at the criticism Gazza got from some of our own 'fans'.  Imagine the outcry if a Wee Bud type sat on the ball against the Germans or the tarriers, he'd be hounded by social media or a Kanchelskis type standing on the ball and saluting, they are determined to sanitise the game and take out the individualism.  

Nonsense. I've seen that clip of Willie Johnston and if you think people would be "hounding" him for it, then your talking nonsense. I also can't remember the "criticism" Gazza got either.

6 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

Nonsense. I've seen that clip of Willie Johnston and if you think people would be "hounding" him for it, then your talking nonsense. I also can't remember the "criticism" Gazza got either.

You don't remember Gazza hounded in the media??   If Dalcio, ok kidding, sat on the ball against them there would be an outcry.  I still believe they are trying to over-sanitize the game.

10 minutes ago, siddiqi_drinker said:

You don't remember Gazza hounded in the media??   If Dalcio, ok kidding, sat on the ball against them there would be an outcry.  I still believe they are trying to over-sanitize the game.

Not by our fans though, and I never saw Gascoigne deal with anything he couldn't handle. It was no different for him playing for Rangers or anyone, he was always in the spotlight.

Just now, Turnberry18 said:

Not by our fans though, and I never saw Gascoigne deal with anything he couldn't handle. It was no different for him playing for Rangers or anyone, he was always in the spotlight.

Was meaning this order:

1. media
  2. football authorities
  3. section of the handwringers among our fans

re-reading my original post, I could have been less ambiguous