The Open 2017

Gaz52

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Big Al II said:

Struggled to take to Speith, however he earned my complete respect today. How he turned around playing so poorly was one of the most stunning golfing performances I've witnessed.

Just saw his scores for the last few holes, mental and great strength of Character to do so.

1 hour ago, reallyruff said:

If only he could have done that at Augusta. Great golf all the same and he has surely shaken any suspicions of being a choker off. Strange it was a bogey that kick-started his round.

No disrespect to Kuchar - but had it been a Dustin Johnson or an in form Rory Mcilroy then I think they would have kicked on and won it

By pro tour standards Speith isn't particularly long or accurate off the tee, his iron play is tidy but not outstanding, he is also quite a slow player..... but when that putter is hot, he is terrific .

I dont think I've ever seen anyone sink as many +20ft putts as an in form Speith.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

By pro tour standards Speith isn't particularly long or accurate off the tee, his iron play is tidy but not outstanding, he is also quite a slow player..... but when that putter is hot, he is terrific .

I dont think I've ever seen anyone sink as many +20ft putts as an in form Speith.

His putting is a huge difference that and his ability to get 'the odd' lucky break.

Take nothing away from the finish but his driving accuracy was that bad he should not have been in the hunt if he got some of the lies his shite driving deserved over the 4 days.

On 7/23/2017 at 10:41 PM, Gaz52 said:

No disrespect to Kuchar - but had it been a Dustin Johnson or an in form Rory Mcilroy then I think they would have kicked on and won it

I think that is just conjecture. Dustin Johnson had a shorter than 10 ft putt to with the US Open, 2 to get in a playoff, and 3 putted!!!

Kuchar still managed to be under par on the day, and gave it his best. 

On 7/24/2017 at 5:52 PM, dummiesoot said:

His putting is a huge difference that and his ability to get 'the odd' lucky break.

Take nothing away from the finish but his driving accuracy was that bad he should not have been in the hunt if he got some of the lies his shite driving deserved over the 4 days.

His driving was poor, but so was Seve's. It is the number on the card that matters. 

2 hours ago, Blue Blooded said:

His driving was poor, but so was Seve's. It is the number on the card that matters. 

I have had the Seve discussion with others at work, he did drive poorly, but Seve got out of some shocking positions to Scramble a par or birdie by being the best escapologist golf has ever seen. Speith drives poorly but get the breaks to get some of the most outrageously good lies I have ever seen, consistently. 

His putting is tremendous.

Do yourself a favour and Google Billy Fosters story about Seve's shot at the Swiss masters if you haven't already seen it. Seve was a genius, Speith isn't.

Tiger's driving was also wayward, but he was also a terrific scrambler. 

Speith isn't a particularly exciting player, but he gets the opportunities and has great touch on the greens. If the putter is off, he doesn't have the game to play into contention, like a Tiger or Seve.... or even a McIlroy. When the putter is on, he is brilliant at capitalising on those opportunities.

That said a large part of putting at over 20ft is luck. I've seen experiments where a machine hits identical balls, with identical force, about 40 odd feet.... and the spread of the balls are probably over about a 3-4ft diameter circle. No golfer can analyse the micro effects that can make a big difference - tiny bumps, moisture on the ball, grain of grass, etc . All a pro is trying to do from range on the green is get it within a couple of feet, if you can do that, then you give it a chance of going down. Great putters prove their metal in the 6-15ft range, thats the range where tournaments are won and lost.

2 hours ago, dummiesoot said:

I have had the Seve discussion with others at work, he did drive poorly, but Seve got out of some shocking positions to Scramble a par or birdie by being the best escapologist golf has ever seen. Speith drives poorly but get the breaks to get some of the most outrageously good lies I have ever seen, consistently. 

His putting is tremendous.

Do yourself a favour and Google Billy Fosters story about Seve's shot at the Swiss masters if you haven't already seen it. Seve was a genius, Speith isn't.

Seve is/was my idol in golfing terms mate.Seen everything there is to see about him. Loved the guy, and was there to see his swashbuckling win at St.A in 84.

Honestly mate, I am not Spieths biggest fan, but the guy has something special. Regardless of how he got out of the 13th with a bogey, the worst that would have happened was a double bogey...people are overdoing that aspect of it. The bottom line is the minute he lost the lead, he went crazy, and in years to come I am sure people will be a lot more generous to the lad than they seem to be at present. It was a sensational finish.

6 hours ago, Blue Blooded said:

Seve is/was my idol in golfing terms mate.Seen everything there is to see about him. Loved the guy, and was there to see his swashbuckling win at St.A in 84.

Honestly mate, I am not Spieths biggest fan, but the guy has something special. Regardless of how he got out of the 13th with a bogey, the worst that would have happened was a double bogey...people are overdoing that aspect of it. The bottom line is the minute he lost the lead, he went crazy, and in years to come I am sure people will be a lot more generous to the lad than they seem to be at present. It was a sensational finish.

No doubting the finish, was quality.  Players better than him have never finished like that. Worse players than him have finished like that. My opinion is though he, if he did not get the amount of breaks off very wayward golf shots, he would never be in the position to win in the first place.