Middle to Front Creative Blockage = Few Goals

buster.

Our biggest on-field problem seems to be creating goal-scoring chances.

Early days this season but the signs aren't good. I don't see what is going to consistently open the organised defensive actions we'll come up against in the League. On the plus side, we do look more solid and better equiped to deal with the counter attack with Jack, Dorrens, Rossiter and Alves.

Back to the attack.

Our one inventive bit of quality has gone, MacKay to Forrest and that leaves hopes pinned on some of the new players we don't know much about and will probably need time to adapt. The shape of Pena and Kranjcar is a major issue and they both have to get into gear asap or they'll be easy to defend against.

The manager desperately needs to find a way for this squad to start creating goal scoring chances and I look at our squad and don't see where it's coming from, unless one or more of the new lads start performing at a much higher level.

3 minutes ago, buster. said:

Early days this season but the signs aren't good. I don't see what is going to consistently open the organised defensive actions we'll come up against in the League. On the plus side, we do look more solid and better equiped to deal with the counter attack with Jack, Dorrens, Rossiter and Alves.

Back to the attack.

Our one inventive bit of quality has gone, MacKay to Forrest and that leaves hopes pinned on some of the new players we don't know much about and will probably need time to adapt. The shape of Pena and Kranjcar is a major issue and they both have to get into gear asap or they'll be easy to defend against.

The manager desperately needs to find a way for this squad to start creating goal scoring chances and I look at our squad and don't see where it's coming from, unless one or more of the new lads start performing at a much higher level.

Dorrans is a playmaker though...? 

I said this yesterday, it is the problem area in the team. The defence can be put right, and hopefully it has been, but we do not create goals from midfield, certainly not enough for a club of our stature, and we haven't done so for a long time. Unless we sort that area out, then we will struggle.

19 minutes ago, buster. said:

I didn't realise he was an attacking midfielder :duh:

This would help, where exactly does he play ?

He's played more advanced and deeper. He's not someone who's going to break the play up and win the ball back though.

1 minute ago, Frank Harrison said:

He's played more advanced and deeper. He's not someone who's going to break the play up and win the ball back though.

I had looked at diagrams of where he had played much of his football at Norwich and it appeared as though he played in a midfielder in front of the defence, in a 4-2-3-1. Internet diagrams aren't always the best source of info.

Just now, cushynumber said:

a continual reliance on Miller - who was never prolific even in his hayday - is still a stumbling block. Being marginally better than Martyn Waghorn doesnt make him a good striker (or anywhere he is picked nowadays) anymore.

Asking a 37 year old Miller to go again and do similar after a short break is risky.

45 minutes ago, buster. said:

Back to the attack.

Far to early for this type of post. 

Just now, Bluepeter9 said:

Far to early for this type of post. 

It's not early to recognise a problem but patience and time should be given for solutions to be found.

I think we need a good wide player and for Pena & Kranjcar to get up to speed asap.

When we don't take our chances, we must, logically, be creating chances. So it seems to me that we are in a crisis of confidence. The self-belief is shot to pieces with the pressure of our support and the expectations. Aberdeen, St Johnston, and Hearts have no pressure, no expectations ( they will also end up with no trophies either, I suspect)

Once this team have a few games under their belts, and a few wins, we might begin to see more or we might begin to see cracks appearing. It might not be easy but I'd ask all Rangers supporters to temper their negativity and couch their verbal attacks in a more positive way, at least until the season has begun. The players and the team we had was not fit for purpose. The manager we had did not offer anything but another season of failure. McKay was not accepting what we offered so no reason to bend over backwards especially as he offered no real fight and no consistency. I am amazed at how we have managed to shift out players and bring in new prospects. Dorrans, Alves, Jack, Rossiter, Nico, and few other boys have the makings of a very good team if we give them our support.

6 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

When we don't take our chances, we must, logically, be creating chances. So it seems to me that we are in a crisis of confidence. The self-belief is shot to pieces with the pressure of our support and the expectations. Aberdeen, St Johnston, and Hearts have no pressure, no expectations ( they will also end up with no trophies either, I suspect)

Once this team have a few games under their belts, and a few wins, we might begin to see more or we might begin to see cracks appearing. It might not be easy but I'd ask all Rangers supporters to temper their negativity and couch their verbal attacks in a more positive way, at least until the season has begun. The players and the team we had was not fit for purpose. The manager we had did not offer anything but another season of failure. McKay was not accepting what we offered so no reason to bend over backwards especially as he offered no real fight and no consistency. I am amazed at how we have managed to shift out players and bring in new prospects. Dorrans, Alves, Jack, Rossiter, Nico, and few other boys have the makings of a very good team if we give them our support.

I'm all for patience and realism. This thread wasn't meant to be overly negative, just looking at a genuine problem.

I don't think it's all about missing chances, it's the lack of goalscoring chances I'm focusing on. The type of play we engage in needs high tempo and precision to get past a defence and let's hope this comes after the pre season.

38 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

The biggest problem is putting the ball in the net. We hit the bar 3 times in that game in Luxembourg. All we needed was one to go in. Plenty of games not won over the past year or so is down to poor finishing.

Bring back boydie

I was actually going to start a thread on this earlier. 

It's absolutely our biggest issue. Comparable to the filth and the sheep our chance creation is so low, and our finishing is just as bad. 

Herrera hasn't had much hype, but I've got a feeling he'll do the business in front of goal if given a chance - just need to actually make them. 

Feels a bit like Candieas and Dalcio have been written off, but willing to give them time. I'd imagine a winger and a full back are probably still on the shopping list. 

I think we've seen a boy (Morelos) in Finland who's banged them in and had a decent goals to games ratio over the last 2-years and probably pinned our hopes on him being a wee predator. 

Herrera has never been THAT prolific and even though Miller can chip in with goals from time to time he's almost 40 and naturally comes/links/plays far too deep to be the outright poacher we need. 

I like Dorrans but I don't think he's particulary creative. He's a cracking midfielder but I don't really have him down in the mould of a De Boer, who, in the final third can drop a shoulder, turn, slip the killer pass through a crowded defence and create a clear goalscoring chance. He's a good midfielder that we badly need but he's not in that De Boer mould, either.

I don't blame Pedro for taking a punt on Morelos ... I think anyone who's a goalscorer is worth a punt and we all keep saying we need to scout these markets and find the next big thing - but what would be inexcusable is relying too much on him and if he doesn't work out for us having nothing to fall back on. 

I've got nightmares of being 3/4 months into the season and our first choice strikers are Waghorn and Miller. That's a depressing thought. 

It's as clear as day our problem is lack of service. Garner who went to Ipswich has already scored 5 in his first 3 friendlies for Ipswich. Two of which he created on his own and others were crosses in to the box.

I didn't rate him too highly but he got stitched up with the squad he was playing in and didn't stand a chance.