McKay - "I wasn't being treated the way any human should be treated"

Gaz52

More questions raised over our manager here.

I don't think McKay is just talking about not getting game-time, I think he may be alluding to other treatment he received which was published, such as being alienated from the squad etc.

Barrie McKay says he had to leave Rangers for Nottingham Forest this summer because of the way he was being treated by new manager Pedro Caixinha.

The winger only started in three of Rangers' final eight fixtures of last season after Caixinha took over from present Forest boss Mark Warburton.

"There was a change of manager and his opinion was different," said McKay.

"I wasn't being treated the way any human being should be treated, but that's football and I had to move on."

The 22-year-old earned his one and only Scotland cap last summer after helping Rangers win promotion to the Scottish Premiership under Warburton.

But the Englishman and assistant David Weir left Ibrox in February in a dispute with the board after being linked with the vacancy at Forest and McKay subsequently suffered a visible dip in form.

Warburton eventually ended up at the City Ground in March and this month returned to Ibrox to secure the winger's services for a fee of around £500,000.

The transfer came a week after McKay had been left out of Caixinha's squad for the Europa League qualifier against Progres Niederkorn of Luxembourg after failing to agree a contract extension.

Asked if it had been a difficult decision to leave his first club, McKay told BBC Radio Nottingham: "Not really at the time, with the way things went with the manager and the way I was being treated and stuff.

"It made the decision easy for when the gaffer got on the phone and he was obviously a big factor in me coming here and working with him again.

"When he came into Rangers, it was a big stage of my development and he helped me improve as a player.

"The way things happened up there is more disappointing. I spoke to my family, spoke to my girlfriend, spoke to my agent and I think it was just the right time.

"I guess that's football, but I'm a big boy and will get on with it."

McKay, who had loan spells with Greenock Morton and Raith Rovers before becoming a Rangers regular, is looking forward to the challenge he faces in the Championship in England.

"It is a big step in my career," he said. "Obviously I've spent all my time up in Scotland, so it is kind of coming out my comfort zone and it's just good to be here and good to be playing."

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

More questions raised over our manager here.

I don't think McKay is just talking about not getting game-time, I think he may be alluding to other treatment he received which was published, such as being alienated from the squad etc.

Barrie McKay says he had to leave Rangers for Nottingham Forest this summer because of the way he was being treated by new manager Pedro Caixinha.

The winger only started in three of Rangers' final eight fixtures of last season after Caixinha took over from present Forest boss Mark Warburton.

"There was a change of manager and his opinion was different," said McKay.

"I wasn't being treated the way any human being should be treated, but that's football and I had to move on."

The 22-year-old earned his one and only Scotland cap last summer after helping Rangers win promotion to the Scottish Premiership under Warburton.

But the Englishman and assistant David Weir left Ibrox in February in a dispute with the board after being linked with the vacancy at Forest and McKay subsequently suffered a visible dip in form.

Warburton eventually ended up at the City Ground in March and this month returned to Ibrox to secure the winger's services for a fee of around £500,000.

The transfer came a week after McKay had been left out of Caixinha's squad for the Europa League qualifier against Progres Niederkorn of Luxembourg after failing to agree a contract extension.

Asked if it had been a difficult decision to leave his first club, McKay told BBC Radio Nottingham: "Not really at the time, with the way things went with the manager and the way I was being treated and stuff.

"It made the decision easy for when the gaffer got on the phone and he was obviously a big factor in me coming here and working with him again.

"When he came into Rangers, it was a big stage of my development and he helped me improve as a player.

"The way things happened up there is more disappointing. I spoke to my family, spoke to my girlfriend, spoke to my agent and I think it was just the right time.

"I guess that's football, but I'm a big boy and will get on with it."

McKay, who had loan spells with Greenock Morton and Raith Rovers before becoming a Rangers regular, is looking forward to the challenge he faces in the Championship in England.

"It is a big step in my career," he said. "Obviously I've spent all my time up in Scotland, so it is kind of coming out my comfort zone and it's just good to be here and good to be playing."

Bit of a contradiction there, no?

2 minutes ago, Bears said:

spice boy hissy fit

Good player, who we signed at a young age and developed, still wanted to play for us but got treated like a bit of shite off our current manager so Dalcio could get a game over him

Just let that sink in

This along with many other things, the main one being the Progres result, should signal the end for Caixinha here, he's clueless.

Guest Lloyd72
Just now, Gaz52 said:

Good player, who we signed at a young age and developed, still wanted to play for us but got treated like a bit of shite off our current manager so Dalcio could get a game over him

Just let that sink in

This along with many other things, the main one being the Progres result, should signal the end for Caixinha here, he's clueless.

What a load of shite

2 minutes ago, Gaz52 said:

Just let that sink in

pity it didn't sink in for him that he needed to sign a new contract

and actually do something when he was selected

great  player on his day, terrible attitude

New boss tries hard with very inconsistent player to make him consistent

Inconsistent player unable to be consistent as he has shown consistently throughout his career

New boss decides he's only going to focus on players who want to be here for the fight with the right attitude

Inconsistent player gets sidelined and his bottom lip comes out a wee bit

Off he goes to a team that will win absolutely zero ever, where he will remain inconsistent like he has done over his whole career.

Nothing about Pedro, everything about Barrie

Just now, Frank Harrison said:

Aye, because loads of people in this thread have said that :lol: 

Everyone is quick to jump on McKay, saying he's full of shite, aye he's being a bit extreme with his quotes... But clearly Caixinha is having problems with player morale considering that's two players that's now complained about him and when the team are on the park they don't play for him at all. He's out of his depth and needs kicked out before more harm is done.