Do we have good players?

Gaz52

1 hour ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Have to honestly say no. No seen dorrans play live yet so will hold my judgement on him, jack seemed assured for 45 mins vs progres but faded badly.  The alves wankfest needs to end, hes no gonnae be the answer just like the big lazy cunt at centre half thats just been brought in. Dalcio is guff, apoor mans barrie mckay,  kranjcar while being our best player is a mile too slow and finally kenny miller will once again do more damage than good by trying to play 10 positions on the field instead of trusting his team mates not to fuck up.

To my mind we will be left with mainly the same players as last year and probably the same result. We should have bought mclean from aberdeen, the boy lyndsay from thistle at centre back and fired boyce from ross county into the mixer up front. 

Foderingham  gk

Beerman   lb

Aiden wilson  cb

Lyndsay  cb

Hodson rb

Jack  dm

Mclean cm

Dorrans cm

Mckay  lw

Boyce  cf

Miller rw

Did you just pick these names at random? Jesus Christ!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For many of them I don't know yet if they could be labelled as being good players.   There's the reputation of being a good player for another club but that doesn't mean that they'd be a good player in a Rangers shirt where the pressures to win game after game are far greater.

Good players under the guidance of a less than able manager can make good players worse.   The other factor here is just how good will the manager turn out to be now that he has his own first choice players to pick from.     After the Luxembourg shambles I'm far less convinced that he is good enough for Rangers.

2 hours ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Have to honestly say no. No seen dorrans play live yet so will hold my judgement on him, jack seemed assured for 45 mins vs progres but faded badly.  The alves wankfest needs to end, hes no gonnae be the answer just like the big lazy cunt at centre half thats just been brought in. Dalcio is guff, apoor mans barrie mckay,  kranjcar while being our best player is a mile too slow and finally kenny miller will once again do more damage than good by trying to play 10 positions on the field instead of trusting his team mates not to fuck up.

To my mind we will be left with mainly the same players as last year and probably the same result. We should have bought mclean from aberdeen, the boy lyndsay from thistle at centre back and fired boyce from ross county into the mixer up front. 

Foderingham  gk

Beerman   lb

Aiden wilson  cb

Lyndsay  cb

Hodson rb

Jack  dm

Mclean cm

Dorrans cm

Mckay  lw

Boyce  cf

Miller rw

Hint: a team comprised entirely of British players doesn't automatically make it good...

Tin hat on here for uploading gifs from the game but I'm getting tired of people jumping the gun, here's Herrera's header (good run from Tav and resulting cross, note that we actually had THREE players in the box and although its hard to tell the keeper pushes onto the post)

giphy.gif

Here's Morelos' header (good cross from Candeias)

giphy.gif

Here's Morelos going close after skinning his marker. He was too eager to get on the scoresheet rather than lay off Windass (though perhaps can't blame him for that one)

giphy.gif

On another day all 3 would have gone in.

So to answer the OPs question, yes I think we do have good players (with the exception of Waghorn, Kiernan, O'Halloran et al), they aren't amazing but hopefully a group of good players who work hard as a unit will be a greater force than a few individual geniuses.

Not sure how many times I've said this in the last 24 hours or so but I think with a creative and younger number 10 and replacing Wallace at left back (and ideally Tav but for me he's got more ability than Wallace at present) then we'll be in pretty decent nick from a personnel perspective. Time will tell if Pedro actually has something or not (hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later to either put our minds at rest or to give him the P45)

1 minute ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Tin hat on here for uploading gifs from the game but I'm getting tired of people jumping the gun, here's Herrera's header (good run from Tav and resulting cross, note that we actually had THREE players in the box)

giphy.gif

Here's Morelos' header (good cross from Candeias)

giphy.gif

Here's Morelos going close after skinning his marker. He was too eager to get on the scoresheet rather than lay off Windass (though perhaps can't blame him for that one)

giphy.gif

On another day all 3 would have gone in.

So to answer the OPs question, yes I think we do have good players (with the exception of Waghorn, Kiernan, O'Halloran et al), they aren't amazing but hopefully a group of good players who work hard as a unit will be a greater force than a few individual geniuses.

Not sure how many times I've said this in the last 24 hours or so but I think with a creative and younger number 10 and replacing Wallace at left back (and ideally Tav but for me he's got more ability than Wallace at present) then we'll be in pretty decent nick from a personnel perspective. Time will tell if Pedro actually has something or not (hopefully we'll find out sooner rather than later to either put our minds at rest or to give him the P45)

Looked pretty sharp in those gifs.. let's see how we do on Saturday a good performance against a good team would set us up well for Motherwell - a good win first game than we can definitely build from there. I've said it before in a previous topic, a decent win against Motherwell and we will be buzzing again. 

4 hours ago, The Dude said:

Some of them haven't even made their debuts ffs

When they are subbed on for 20 minutes people will be lining up to call them duds and demand Pedro is sacked before the day is over.

Some people have no patience and demand instant success. The theory that a team needs to work together to become a coherent unit is irrelevant to them.

Just now, Drunk and disorderly. said:

When they are subbed on for 20 minutes people will be lining up to call them duds and demand Pedro is sacked before the day is over.

Some people have no patience and demand instant success. The theory that a team needs to work together to become a coherent unit is irrelevant to them.

I've spoken with a few players (non-Rangers) about it over the last week or two and every one of them has said it's something that fans never seem to get fully give them a bit of breathing space on. Even 'simple' stuff like knowing where the keeper likes the ball played to if he's having to play it out or quite where an over-lapping full back will position himself.

4 hours ago, kaiser1041 said:

In comparison to last seasons squad it's night and day.dorrans is a huge improvement on anything in midfield for a start and Bruno alves is just a slight upgrade on big bates.

cunts slating Pena and Herrera already are hilarious both not yet fit and Mexican internationals plying there trade in a league vastly superior to ours .

the recruitment has been fantastic so far so let's give everyone time to get there act together before turning on the staff and playing squad

I must be one of the few that actually thought Pena and Herrera looked promising against st johnstone. The game past pena by at times but when he got involved he was quick on the ball and a good touch and decent vision and passing. Herrera looked like he can hold up play really well, and he looked very strong in the air. Alves will hopefully be a big player for us. Dropping Miller is a big call but one that has to be done if we really want to change our style and setup.

4 hours ago, Gascoigne8 said:

Foderingham  gk

Beerman   lb

Aiden wilson  cb

Lyndsay  cb

Hodson rb

Jack  dm

Mclean cm

Dorrans cm

Mckay  lw

Boyce  cf

Miller rw

That team would genuinely finish about 9th.

Rather than look at individuals, I am looking at us at a unit and think that

a) we will be much more difficult to beat than last season with Alves & Cardoso at centre back (hope we have seen the last of Kiernan and Wilson) and Jack screening with much more quality than Halliday did.

b) lack of goals still a problem - in our league it is about breaking down stubborn sides. We've lost McKay who could provide an occasional injection of quality and Dalcio seems like a dud, no replacement for BM IMO. Jury out on Herrera, Candeias and Pena but I'm not judging yet. We still need a quality winger and goalscoring centre forward that can grab us a goal or conjour up a piece of magic as we should hopefully be able to keep things tighter at the back.

1 hour ago, WWTC said:

I must be one of the few that actually thought Pena and Herrera looked promising against st johnstone. The game past pena by at times but when he got involved he was quick on the ball and a good touch and decent vision and passing. Herrera looked like he can hold up play really well, and he looked very strong in the air. Alves will hopefully be a big player for us. Dropping Miller is a big call but one that has to be done if we really want to change our style and setup.

I liked Herrera. What I saw with Pena was someone who took the match for what it was, and played within himself. I also agree with your last point, Miller needs to be dropped.

1 minute ago, Turnberry18 said:

I liked Herrera. What I saw with Pena was someone who took the match for what it was, and played within himself. I also agree with your last point, Miller needs to be dropped.

Miller has, or atleast tries to, have far too much influence over the team. In some ways down to his passion, he wanders out of position far too often chasing balls and trying to influence play. Its almost as if he thinks hes better than he actually is. 

Its not looked good so far, and the progress result really was horrific, but half his new look team didnt play. We should have qualified regardless, but hes taken the blame for it. If we're going to back him then we have to actually back him, not turn on him before hes even fielded his team. He has to give us something soon though or its another Le Guen scenario.

3 minutes ago, To Be A Ranger said:

Which was the same for the 1st leg and again for the 2nd leg in the Europa. 

How many other days do we need before the goals start coming? Makes me wonder if this team actually has goals in it 

It's frustrating as fuck because you think how long can I keep saying this?

I,believe goals come with confidence and confidence comes from results, so it's a bit of a catch 22 unless you grind results initially. Getting put out of Europe (although not all the new signings played) has definitely destroyed the confidence in the squad, certainly from our point of view, big challenge to turn things around. Hopefully we have the characters to do so.

6 hours ago, .Williamson. said:

Ive never understood how or why Pedro is spoken highly of in other countries.

Is it the Mexican league that he finished near mid table and then won the league through a table split?

Fucking nonsense that is

We laugh at the SPL split, that league is even more ridiculous. More like an extended league cup.

Do we have good players? well in Bruno Alves and Graham Dorrans we know we have two for definite, I also think guys like Tavernier have a lot of talent although his primary job is probably the weakest part of his game (defending)

I've never rated Ryan Jack that highly, I think he's a decent enough tidy player but never stood out against us, completely open minded with him though, a new club with better players around him could seen him improve and mature

8 hours ago, VladimirWeiss69 said:

I think the only ones who would slate both Pena and Herrera would be the ones that never watched the st Johnstone game. I watched it and thought both played very well!

Is the game on rtv just now?