***Official Rangers V Marseille thread***

MrMckee

1 minute ago, gsa said:

I actually thought he was our worst player. Every time he's on the balk I have the overriding feeling he'l give it away and we'l be caught out. 

Second half he should have been subbed.

23 minutes ago, Moobs said:

Still at work. How was big Alves?

He was solid and very composed. We look a lot better in defence with him. Cleared his lines with long passes that rarely came off, but halted any danger.

Got a deserved standing ovation when he was subbed mate.

Pena only had 20 minutes or so but will need to learn to get involved a lot more. Looks like one of these players who only come alive when we turn the ball over then looks to receive. Early days of course and to be fair he hardly had a touch but they all need to understand there can be no passengers this season.

Plenty of positives to take out that performance though.  We certainly look a harder working team with Jack and Dorrans in that midfield.  Tavernier and Candeias looks a fruitful partnership and big Alves definitely gives us a lot more authority at the back. The boy Cardoso also looks to have benefited from having Alves beside him already too. Like somebody said it's baby steps at this stage but a lot more encouraging signs today.

5 hours ago, PRW. said:

Thats a bit unrealistic though, I don't expect us to win against a squad that contains Payet, Gustavo, Thauvin, Evra, Cabella, N'Jie, Rolando, Rami, Ocampos & Mandana. :lol: 

You'll be pleased with that performance mate, well the first half anyway. Second half started well and started to break up then the goal from niko made it even better. 

This thread ...hahah full of positivity until they scored...enjoyed reading the comments, it was actually supportive...then they scored...ffs the comments suddenly were pure negative ...haha all the guys waiting for us to fuck up came out of the woodwork !

Tav was fucking amazing, and he does what his manager(s) tells him.....so with Candias ahead of him he defends more and looks solid....when told to push up he leaves gaps....not rocket science. My MOM.

We have a team here boys we need a walker/naismith type player to play where Miller is but it was good to see that our saviour last year looked like the weak link tin the first half.

Jack and Dorrans work well, and Kran is a player you carry, but when he is on it wow ! For me he should come on though as a sub.

Thought we were very good today ....as i have said give Pedro a chance and we will see results..although still a couple of players shy really.

5 minutes ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I thought it was going quite well today until we started making subs and were reminded that Windass and Wilson still play for us.

I would gladly take money for Wilson and get rid, I know he's just back from injury but as soon as he came on I said to my son "well that's it then" and sure enough..........have a look at their goal and tell me I'm wrong, he gets caught out like that constantly.

I had two main worries.

1. lack of coherent shape and plan. That was addressed today.

2. lack of goal scoring creativity. that wasn't.

On top of that, the football was attractive, aggressive and purposeful. So much better. But when Marseilles stepped up a gear and alves was absent we looked vulnerable. I agree that Miller looked poor today, as did Wallace. Tav was excellent, we looked solid in midfield.

I feel a whole lot better about Caixhina too. The team looked coached.

Very pleased with that. We were the beastteam until the opener and did well to come back into it.

Bruno strolled it, love the look of the big man. Candeias was superb. Jack and Dorrans look a partnership in the making. Lots of positives.

Only caught the last half hour of this and we looked more organised with a shape about us. Sloppy for the goal and disallowed one but they were decent on the ball. Read on here we were good in the first half so that's much better. Hopefully add another player or two and get off to a good start in the league. 

3 minutes ago, Bakbear said:

Pena and Windass, were the two negatives but honestly there have been enough negatives, today is about the positives. Alves could be the catalyst Pedro needed 

Alves was the most composed player on the park imo. He shepherded our defence and took no risks.

He may well be the man who plugs our leaky defence.

Pleased with today, solid performance and hope we build off that.

The defence looked comfortable until Bruno went off, him & Cardoso have the makings of a good partnership. 

Candeias and Tav were a constant threat down the right, especially Candeias.

Just now, Drunk and disorderly. said:

Alves was the most composed player on the park imo. He shepherded our defence and took no risks.

He may well be the man who plugs our leaky defence.

I don't think its in question that he shores up the defence but with that confidence in the back four you can see the midfield more relaxed as well. Tav got forward with confidence too 

Personally I think it's hard to judge whether our chance creation/goal scoring has improved against opposition like today, there may well still be problems but we were never ever putting 3 or 4 past them today and we won't face quality like that again this season.

2 minutes ago, PRW. said:

Pleased with today, solid performance and hope we build off that.

The defence looked comfortable until Bruno went off, him & Cardoso have the makings of a good partnership. 

Candeias and Tav were a constant threat down the right, especially Candeias.

We just need that down the left as well then we will see more variation, in my opinion. 

26 minutes ago, stewaj3 said:

When did this happen? I don't really remember it to be honest. 

I think he did well. I agree overall though that his defending can be questionable

Considering how quite he kept Payet I thought he done brilliant, was also a threat going forward and looked a good partnership with Candeis! I'm sure at one point he absolutely skint there full back? Would love to see it again 

1 minute ago, TheBlueOne said:

Considering how quite he kept Payet I thought he done brilliant, was also a threat going forward and looked a good partnership with Candeis! I'm sure at one point he absolutely skint there full back? Would love to see it again 

Agreed. i thought Payet was anonymous and Tav strolled it.

15 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

I would gladly take money for Wilson and get rid, I know he's just back from injury but as soon as he came on I said to my son "well that's it then" and sure enough..........have a look at their goal and tell me I'm wrong, he gets caught out like that constantly.

The difference in our defence after that sub was unreal. We instantly looked vulnerable.

38 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

Later on in the second half of a pre-season friendly Dorrans went in for a 50/50 on the left and went in 100% on it,balls deep.

Thats what is required and Alves and Cardoso also taking no prisoners so you can see why players like McKay were never going to make it. Warburton raised a team of pandered pansies and now Pedro (as he stated very clearly) wanted warriors on the pitch.

Hopefully we can continue to improvements next weekend angainst Sheff We'd to hit the ground running against motherwell.

Great post

Lots of positives from that today. Measures of calm at the back (until Alves went off)  with Tav being unexpectedly solid. Jack and Dorrans allow Krankjar to flourish and big Herrerra and Candeias proving to be real handfuls. Starting to look like a team and a mans team at that. Just need to start banging the goals in now.