Realistic Expectation Next Season

Rangers Finishing Position 2017/8  

336 members have voted

1. 1. What position will we hold in the league at the end of the 2017/8 season?

• First
    • Second
    • Third
    • Fourth
    • Fifth
    • Lower than Fifth

The forum feeling seems less positive now than it was when Pedro was appointed. We all know that things have looked poor but pre-Season is never a true indicator. Given the current mood and thoughts on the team and the way other teams are building, where do you think we will finish next season and why? Will it be a battle for the position you choose or will it be held comfortably?

My current opinion is we will finish third, spending the season battling Aberdeen and Hibs. Aberdeen will pip us by 3 points, we'll pull away from Hibs by 9 points.

EDIT - This is not about where we all want us to be (First) it's about where you expect us to be given the current state of squad and staff.

I'd like us to be First but fear we will finish in a similar position to last season, although I would say we have better players can the Manager get the best out of these players, who knows. plus in key areas we are still poor right and left back we are still pish and up front we need a Proven goal scorer.

Obviously we should aim for first but realistically it'll probably be second.

If we finished this season in touching distance, dont need to rip up ourentire squad and can really build on what we've achieved with a couple quality signings then I'll be relatively happy. 

Saying that, giving that mob a proper skelping in an Old Firm is a must. 

We will finish 2nd with Pedro. No manager will get us 1st this season.

Replace Pedro, bring in a new guy and we'll need to find millions more as I don't reckon it'll be possible bonding two previous managers players. If we replaced Pedro I'd anticipate 3rd or 4th.

Realistically I expect second. 

The key point is the one cp9 made- get the squad playing together, build a bit of buzz around the team and lay a foundation so that if we spend the best part of £10million it will be on fewer, higher quality players.

Pedro can be the man still but even if he isn't, we need to be patient.  

Guest Lloyd72

With Pedro 4th place imo, if he gets sacked within the first few months and replaced with the right guy, comfortable 2nd place

On paper we have a better side than last year but I see us struggling as nothing Pedro has shown thus far indicates otherwise.  We will give the occasional team a drubbing but I fear a lot of games will be stodge fests.

4 minutes ago, FSM said:

Never gone into a season with as much fear as I have for this one.

Same here. My faith in the team is as low as it could be. I blame social media where every aspect of training and practice games are disected minute by minute and every rumour is reported as fact. Everything seems to be negative just now.

The harsh reality is that the title is already spoken for.

That makes second place the 'realistic target' and from what I'm seeing it would appear that this will be a battle with the sheep and no foregone conclusion. 

It all depends on if and when, we can develop into a team that consistently beats the SPFL provincial teams. At the moment this is an unknown but thus far there are no signs of it coming together.

As much as Pedro hasn't displayed any managerial skills to make me think we can win the league, I'm never going to give up the league before a ball is kicked. 

If the players start off with 4 out of 4 then anything is possible.

Anything less and we'll finish second and I wouldn't bet against a different manager coming in before end of season. The only good news is we have a DoF if it all starts to go pear shaped.

With Pedro a battle with Aberdeen for third. No chance of a trophy.

a new manager probably still not first. I don't think we've got the team or squad to topple Celtic. As it stands only Alves and Dorrans would get a game in their starting XI's IMO.

41 minutes ago, Brian Fantana said:

The forum feeling seems less positive now than it was when Pedro was appointed. We all know that things have looked poor but pre-Season is never a true indicator. Given the current mood and thoughts on the team and the way other teams are building, where do you think we will finish next season and why? Will it be a battle for the position you choose or will it be held comfortably?

My current opinion is we will finish third, spending the season battling Aberdeen and Hibs. Aberdeen will pip us by 3 points, we'll pull away from Hibs by 9 points.

EDIT - This is not about where we all want us to be (First) it's about where you expect us to be given the current state of squad and staff.

Pre-season is never a true indicator. Are you sure?

We struggled against part timers in Charlston last year, pumped by Burnley at home, pumped by Liepzig away. Id say that was a very good indicator to what came last year.