Next two matches = key indicators of where we are

Dlydon81

I enjoyed today's performance a lot more than I thought I would.  That said, Watford midweek and sheff Wednesday next weekend will show us just how ready for British football our new boys are. Marseille was never going to be that physical. Let's hope we are up to the test!

Would like to get positive results in these games to build momentum and confidence and also for the fans in terms of the Wednesday game but these are only friendly games and are about getting players competitive game time and sharpness, we looked like a team today instead of the 11 strangers we looked in Luxembourg, but theres still a lot to come, esp in the final third, good to see progress at last.

We'll really know where we are after the first 3 games of the season.

From reading all the other threads it's pretty obvious that we have all been pleasantly surprised by the performance today even allowing for the fact it was a friendly, and you are correct in saying that Marseille were never going to present a physical challenge, so it will be interesting to see how we play against more physical opposition, but I got the impression today that we will not be bullied this season as we were last year and we will be more up for the challenge.

I hate using friendlies as a yardstick but today's performance it least gave me a more positive outlook for this year than I could possibly have considered from the last couple of weeks, I just hope we can kick on from today and get some confidence flowing throughout the team.

As much as today was a good watch and improved performance the REAL test will be whether we can breakdown teams who sit in against us - I.e. the way that the majority of teams will play against us this season.

It's been our number one problem over the past few years and that will be a true sign of progress. 

4 minutes ago, chris182 said:

As much as today was a good watch and improved performance the REAL test will be whether we can breakdown teams who sit in against us - I.e. the way that the majority of teams will play against us this season.

It's been our number one problem over the past few years and that will be a true sign of progress. 

Quite simply it is vital that Niko stays fit. He can peel apart even the most compact of defences with one pass. Oh how we missed him last season. 

23 minutes ago, MasterD said:

Not really IMO. They are still just friendlies.

The 1st few league games will show us.

Yeh, I agree with that.  I carefully used the word indicator. 

my main point is that marseille's style of football isn't reflective of British football and so we can't take much away from it.  Watford and wednesday will be more telling IMO and the real proof will only be when the league campaign starts.

Friendlies are absolutely nothing to get worked up about. The only main interest in these games will be from the guys going to the game, regalling us with stories about how pissed they are going to get beforehand. I'll reserve any more  judgment until the Motherwell game, these friendlies are a bit of a welcome distraction but that is all.

30 minutes ago, slimjim1690 said:

From reading all the other threads it's pretty obvious that we have all been pleasantly surprised by the performance today even allowing for the fact it was a friendly, and you are correct in saying that Marseille were never going to present a physical challenge, so it will be interesting to see how we play against more physical opposition, but I got the impression today that we will not be bullied this season as we were last year and we will be more up for the challenge.

I hate using friendlies as a yardstick but today's performance it least gave me a more positive outlook for this year than I could possibly have considered from the last couple of weeks, I just hope we can kick on from today and get some confidence flowing throughout the team.

One swallow doesn't make a summer, a good result but we have a very long way to go. Confidence will come from league matches, not glorified kickabouts.

1 minute ago, Terry Hurlock Loyal said:

One swallow doesn't make a summer, a good result but we have a very long way to go. Confidence will come from league matches, not glorified kickabouts.

Completely agree and that is what I meant, however up until today I couldn't see any kind of formation or tactics, today has given me a little more hope in that respect, but agree meaningful games are what matter.

48 minutes ago, chris182 said:

i think you are right dont want to be negative but while we played some nice stuff we never looked like scoring can only remember their keeper making one save when he spilled the shot from morales  too me we are too deep and no one supports the from 2  also the team is lop sided with no balance on the left

4 hours ago, Dlydon81 said:

I enjoyed today's performance a lot more than I thought I would.  That said, Watford midweek and sheff Wednesday next weekend will show us just how ready for British football our new boys are. Marseille was never going to be that physical. Let's hope we are up to the test!

Sorry mate . the next 2 games mean diddly squat . The true test is we kick off with some competitive games

6 hours ago, chris182 said:

Agree, that was a concern for me today. We knocked it about well but struggled for quality in that final third against a team who are quite open........if we struggle to create, ok they are a step up, against OM then it can be rather difficult when facing negative defensive tactics. Need more creativity, a winger and another front man are needed.

The thing is none of these friendlies will set us up for the league. The teams we are playing will come out and have a go. We all know Motherwell will play defensively to try and get a positive result. I'm still not sure we have the players or system to break down that type of tactic. Set pieces will be key and I thought today we looked much more dangerous than last season, delivery needs to improve though and be more consistent.