Things to take from todays game

rosco88

5 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Dida was a diddy only a minor upgrade on previous Brazilian keepers. Williams took over from Joe Corrigan and did a great job in a mediocre City team, Shaka Hislop was another decent keeper.

Hislop was decent i'l give you that one.

Dida has some list of accolades for a diddy, world cup, serie A, champions league, fifpro goalkeeper of the year, voted best Brazilian keeper.

Was prone to the odd howler though.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, plumbGER said:

Hislop was decent i'l give you that one.

Dida has some list of accolades for a diddy, world cup, serie A, champions league, fifpro goalkeeper of the year, voted best Brazilian keeper.

Was prone to the odd howler though.

Best Brazilian keeper isn't much of an accolade tbh.:happy:

Jonathan Greening has a Champions League winners medal.

He won a lot thanks to the teams he played in rather than being instrumental in the honours. I think he was over rated, he wasn't the worst but no better than many keepers around Europe at the time. 

Things to take from today's game: the media bias in Scotland is so blatant it's comical.

Celtic get pumped off Lyon and the media report on what a fantastic performance the new boys put it in etc. 

We draw 1-1 with Marseille and hardly a peep, other than "Rangers admit they need to sharpen up".

1 hour ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Positives to take

1) Keeper is actually very very good with a stronger defence and midfield in front of him. And his distribution was outstanding. He's a huge player for us.

2) Tavernier can play. Possibly his best game in a Rangers jersey. Helps being in a stronger team i guess.  

3) Alves is a colossus. Defence fell apart when he went off, Marseille missing several guilt edge chances.

4) Cardoso, great potential and solid as a rock. He really looks the part next to Bruno.

5) In Jack we finally have that CDM we have been craving for the last X amount of years. 5, 6, maybe more. 

6) We might actually have found a proper winger in Candeias. He was excellent. Great delivery, good touch, terrific endeavour.  

7) Dorrans is a class act and is going to give 100% for the cause. 

8) Kranjcar still has it. The lad is a fantastic footballer. 

9) The team looked hungry, we played very well and some of the combination plays at the back and midfield to get out of tricky situations was brilliant to watch. We genuinely did play very well. 

10) There is hope. 

Things needing tweeked

Wallace needs replaced. Play breaks down when he gets the ball far too often and defensively he is a bombscare. 

We do need a new captain

Left wing had nothing out there as Kranjcar kept getting dragged inside, almost free role like, might work though?

Nothing up front, we badly need a couple of good strikers, i don't think Morelos or/and Herrera will do over the season although Morelos did look lively and very strong

The bench was awful. Nothing on the bench filled me with confidence if we were ever chasing a game. 

Kenny Miller is now a passenger, the quality of the side has over taken our need to rely on him, he cannot keep up with our patterns of play

We need a bit more quality. The 2 the manager spoke of won't be enough. 

Conclusion

I was very, very surprised. I really enjoyed it. Maybe, just maybe Pedro does know what he is doing? Of course it's one game against a side playing in 2nd gear but they had more quality than any team in Scotland we will face. On the right road but still at least 3 or 4 big changes needed across the team and we have the time and window to do it. 

Hopefully get walker for the left mid,agree we need a new left back unfortunately Wallace is not good enough defensively and attacking,lastly I think we need a player guaranteed to get us goals.

hopefully Morelos will bang them in but only time will tell 

54 minutes ago, RFC Eagle said:

Best Brazilian keeper isn't much of an accolade tbh.:happy:

Jonathan Greening has a Champions League winners medal.

He won a lot thanks to the teams he played in rather than being instrumental in the honours. I think he was over rated, he wasn't the worst but no better than many keepers around Europe at the time. 

Does Jonathon Greening have 2 of them sitting on the mantelpeice next to his world cup medal?

He was instrumental when he saved 3 penalties against Juventus for Milan to win the champions league.

He was instrumental in the 03/04 Milan title win, only conceded 20 league goals and was voted Serie A goalkeeper of the year and being nominated for the balon d'or.

Like most goalkeepers, he gets remembered for his howlers.

6 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

Who'd you have at LB?

I would have made that position a bit of a priority in our recent signings - we haven't 

so

Young Beerman needs to get game time playing with Bruno/Tav and Cardoso to bring him on as he is a definite prospect and just the age to be playing regularly in our team beside experienced guys

whilst Wallace continues playing Beerman will never get a chance bar an injury  

their goal yesterday was classic Wallace - Wilson Fucking facing the wrong way and Wallace letting a player cut in unchallenged (most the time from in behind tbf)

happens way too much for my liking.  

(I do know he is right footed btw)

1 hour ago, eejay the dj said:

A million things will be said about our players , our team this coming season .

I see absolutely no change from last season .In fact I would say , we are even further behind when we kicked off our first game last season .

I will say it until I'm blue in the face . My club and the one I have supported since a little boy  will not prosper until the focus is firmly on DK and he is out of there along with the others that helped bring us to our knees 6 years ago .

We can argue all day long about Pedro being the right or wrong man .It's all the issues with King that give me no confidence  I get no pleasure in saying this as the start of new season is one where we all want to believe , feel confident , get excited . Been there , wore the tea shirt .

I am not going to kid myself on though, not going to bullshit about  the few positives I see.

I will be going to all the games this season with hope more than belief .Hoping the new players can make the difference on the park . Get us some good wins in bigger matches

We all want the Rangers to do well so I hope in the coming weeks . We can deliver . The Rangers support deserve much more than the garbage ,that has been served up these last 6 years

Can you not keep your King doom and gloom for the boredom section?

Don't entirely disagree with your point, but this was a largely positive thread for a change.

1 hour ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Positives to take

1) Keeper is actually very very good with a stronger defence and midfield in front of him. And his distribution was outstanding. He's a huge player for us.

2) Tavernier can play. Possibly his best game in a Rangers jersey. Helps being in a stronger team i guess.  

3) Alves is a colossus. Defence fell apart when he went off, Marseille missing several guilt edge chances.

4) Cardoso, great potential and solid as a rock. He really looks the part next to Bruno.

5) In Jack we finally have that CDM we have been craving for the last X amount of years. 5, 6, maybe more. 

6) We might actually have found a proper winger in Candeias. He was excellent. Great delivery, good touch, terrific endeavour.  

9) The team looked hungry, we played very well and some of the combination plays at the back and midfield to get out of tricky situations was brilliant to watch. We genuinely did play very well. 

10) There is hope. 

Things needing tweeked

Wallace needs replaced. Play breaks down when he gets the ball far too often and defensively he is a bombscare. 

We do need a new captain

Left wing had nothing out there as Kranjcar kept getting dragged inside, almost free role like, might work though?

Nothing up front, we badly need a couple of good strikers, i don't think Morelos or/and Herrera will do over the season although Morelos did look lively and very strong

The bench was awful. Nothing on the bench filled me with confidence if we were ever chasing a game. 

Kenny Miller is now a passenger, the quality of the side has over taken our need to rely on him, he cannot keep up with our patterns of play

Conclusion

I was very, very surprised. I really enjoyed it. Maybe, just maybe Pedro does know what he is doing? Of course it's one game against a side playing in 2nd gear but they had more quality than any team in Scotland we will face. On the right road but still at least 3 or 4 big changes needed across the team and we have the time and window to do it. 

This is a positive post from you. Who stole your phone? :) 

Pretty much a good summary of what we are probably all thinking.

5 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Can you not keep your King doom and gloom for the boredom section?

Don't entirely disagree with your point, but this was a largely positive thread for a change.

Cause I posted doesn't have to make it a negative one .Keep believing bud ?

100 times more optimistic after yesterday's game ????Looked strong physically, good shape with out the ball and looked solid until Bruno went off , still not creating a great deal but Marseille will be a mile better than anything in the spl , big Nicko absolute joy to watch 

I saw the game yesterday and I do believe we have a better team than last year- we just have to pick the right eleven to work together and get the best out of each other.

There is talent there, whether its enough to win the league ?- still early stages, but the more games we get under our belt - the more better we will get

To take note:  keep Wilson and Wallace out of the team and we really do need a couple of good and hungry strikers - then I will be a more confident

It was a friendly against a European side who's style is to let you play all you want but you need the skill to break them down and the evidence of the game is we created next to no chances.

Looking good is one thing and to be good is another, they are a class side who looked to be strolling the game as a warm up, apart from the latter stages of the second half they never got out of first gear and only reacted to our aggressive play when needed.

The obvious lack of chances being created is a worry and even with a new manager it still persists.

17 hours ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Positives to take

10) There is hope. 

Things needing tweeked

We do need a new captain

Conclusion

Excellent post. Couldn't have wrote it better myself. 

Things I took are perhaps we're not as bad as I first thought, Tav had one of his best games in a Rangers shirt, we have proper men playing for us now and we still need something extra in the final third. 

Also Dalcio is comedy gold - came on, got the ball and ran into 3 Marseille players. 

7 minutes ago, jackrfc95 said:

Things I took are perhaps we're not as bad as I first thought, Tav had one of his best games in a Rangers shirt, we have proper men playing for us now and we still need something extra in the final third. 

Also Dalcio is comedy gold - came on, got the ball and ran into 3 Marseille players. 

Don't even know what Dalcio was trying at the end. Is he left footed? 

I'm of the very few that actually think Pedro will succeed. 

A few more decent signings (3?) And we could potentially be a good outfit. 

Walker, a striker, and a left back n were good to go. 

Don't think we will get another striker for the record, unfortunately.