Your 1st Rangers away game

Firhill for thrills in the mid to late 1950's.  My dad didn't go to many away games at all but there was a big crowd.  Don't remember the score.  I think that I can recall Bobby Shearer getting booked.  

Glad to see that earlier posts mention Jim Bett.  He was a player who never got the credit that he deserved.  Watched him score in an Old Firm League Cup Final from a free kick and he placed it, did not blooter it.  Losing team, drenched to the skin, could only snag a ticket in the Celtic end.  Ruined my trip home so it did.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jim thompson's testimonial, queen of the south vs rangers, July 2010. 1-0 Kenny miller (and I'm sure he scored against Alexander who'd come on for their goalie after he picked up an injury? Could be wrong)

Me being 16 at the time, bought a ticket, only to find it was in the queen of the south end. Haha! Still, wore my gers jersey and got no bother at all. Was a good day

28 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

Firhill for thrills in the mid to late 1950's.  My dad didn't go to many away games at all but there was a big crowd.  Don't remember the score.  I think that I can recall Bobby Shearer getting booked.  

Glad to see that earlier posts mention Jim Bett.  He was a player who never got the credit that he deserved.  Watched him score in an Old Firm League Cup Final from a free kick and he placed it, did not blooter it.  Losing team, drenched to the skin, could only snag a ticket in the Celtic end.  Ruined my trip home so it did.

Jim Bett was very underated  that was some free kick, that day we were awful one bit of class we showed that day 

5 hours ago, boyd09 said:

Jim Bett was very underated  that was some free kick, that day we were awful one bit of class we showed that day 

Always had it in my mind that Bett was a better player forvthe sheep than he was for us. 

Can't for the life of me justify it, just one of those views I've somehow acquired over time.

October 88 for first game away from Ibrox, 3-2 v the sheep in the league cup final.

First away league game August 91, 2-0 at the piggery, Hateley (sporting a new perm) double in glorious sunshine :happy:

45 minutes ago, THE_MIGHTY_BEARS said:

I can't remember what year it was but I remember going to a Cup game against Clydebank about 20 years ago.  It was either Van Vossen or Bo Anderson playing for us

I think that game was played at Firhill? I know the game your talking about.

A good game against Clydebank was one summer at Kilbowie ... Ken Eadie's testimonial we won 3-2 with a strong team Goram, Gascoigne, McCoist, Durie etc.

3-2 in the dying stages and Clydebank win a penalty ... Ken Eadie steps up (last minute of his testimonial) ... Goram saves it :lol: even some of the Rangers fans boo'd Goram for being a wideo.

1 hour ago, Sportingintegritymyarse said:

Always had it in my mind that Bett was a better player forvthe sheep than he was for us. 

Can't for the life of me justify it, just one of those views I've somehow acquired over time.

I know what you mean it was so long ago,  think maybe our team then was not consistent,  and the likes of Davie Cooper, Bobby Russell, possibly Ian Redford, stood out more and got more media coverage 

31 minutes ago, Dazzler said:

Glitterdome for my 16th birthday.

Rangers played off the park but won 1-0 thanks to wee Durranty.

Old terrace, it was fantastic.

We won that game at Parkhead, beat Leeds at Elland Road and won league cup final against Aberdeen at Hampden all in one week if I remember right ?

2 minutes ago, K.A.I said:

We won that game at Parkhead, beat Leeds at Elland Road and won league cup final against Aberdeen at Hampden all in one week if I remember right ?

Possibly, can't find the game on google.

My lasting memory of the game is taking 20 minutes to find my cousins after we scored. Place went mental and we went different directions.

They had signed some English player, Stuart Brady, or something like that and they played really well. Proper backs to the wall stuff. Think our goal may have been our only shot on target.

Was at ibrox for the Leeds game and the atmosphere must be in my top 5 up until McAllister scored his screamer.

On 2017-7-24 at 11:02 AM, Courtyard Bear said:

Can't remember what year or the score but it was away to St Mirren, I remember some Auld guy giving Frank McGarvey dogs abuse for the whole game so it must've been around 77/78

After St Mirren got promoted the first league game we played them at Love St  was around Sept 77. That  game ended 3-3 but  there was fighting and fans on the pitch pretty explosive stuff.

Growing up in paisley, it was always going to be love street, don't remember the score (pretty sure we won though) but i do remember a few things about that day, Chris Woods getting revenge on Kenny McDowall, Pieter Huistra putting chris woods on his arse with an overhead flick during the warm up, but mostly what sticks in my head is turning the corner across from the courthouse and walking straight into a large group of celtic fans waiting on their bus, i shat it but didn't let them know that, just strolled right through the middle of them, to be fair they didn't give me any abuse, just a few comedy groans, i was just a young lad.

Dunfermline away think it was 66/67 but remember we won.train from queen st was packed and swaying like a balloon in the wind songs being belted out. don't remember that much about the game. but as they were a good team back then it was great result and the journey back was manic.

1 hour ago, centenarystand said:

After St Mirren got promoted the first league game we played them at Love St  was around Sept 77. That  game ended 3-3 but  there was fighting and fans on the pitch pretty explosive stuff.

Can't remember the fans on the pitch but I remember it being really hostile, mind you I was only a kid. 

Late 70s Inverness at Telford street before they merged with Thistle. Off season friendly and all I remember was we won 6-3 and big Peter Mcloy was in goal. Was a full strong team out but have no clear recollection of the players apart from Mcloy.

1960 v Airdrie at Broomfield, taken there by my older brother. Can't recall the date but must have been winter because I remember the floodlights on. Can't recall the score either - mostly I remember it for seeing Baxter for this first time. The team was probably the Niven, Shearer, Caldow team that we had scrawled on our school haversacks then. The other thing I recall was the Airdrie goalie, Lawrie Lesle, who was also the Scotland goalie at that time. Alas, he got injured before the England game only to be replaced by one Frank Haffey. The rest is history.

1992 Leeds vs Rangers - no away fans, with my dad no colours trying to no jump about when Hateley smashed one in after 2 minutes!  

Bloke ten rows up started jumping about and was swiftly ejected...