Are we still a Scottish Protestant club?

As a Bear of a certain vintage, I grew up cheering for a Scottish Protestant team starting in the 1950's.  Our players were Scottish (for the most part) and Protestant, our club ethics and traditions were so, our fans were and their songs were too.  I never, ever want to whine about "the good old days" largely because I've never believed in that mentality but it's harder for any pro sports team in any arena or market to remain unchanged these days.  The bottom line, sponsorship, phone number salaries for the players, agents and endorsements have an impact.  Our Orange associations are gone, few if any players arrive via the BB, in fact few are even Scottish.  Is it possible to explain our heritage to new arrivals from overseas?  Will they listen?  Do they care?  

Through the years, I've read many posts suggesting that Scotland has changed and inevitably Rangers must too.  Maybe older Bears will see (and feel) more changes than younger Bears.  I still cheer for my team and defend them to the hilt even in these foreign parts but our club has changed.

What I'm trying to remember is: did my dad and grandfather tell me that the Rangers of the 1950's had changed from his childhood?    

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

As a Bear of a certain vintage, I grew up cheering for a Scottish Protestant team starting in the 1950's.  Our players were Scottish (for the most part) and Protestant, our club ethics and traditions were so, our fans were and their songs were too.  I never, ever want to whine about "the good old days" largely because I've never believed in that mentality but it's harder for any pro sports team in any arena or market to remain unchanged these days.  The bottom line, sponsorship, phone number salaries for the players, agents and endorsements have an impact.  Our Orange associations are gone, few if any players arrive via the BB, in fact few are even Scottish.  Is it possible to explain our heritage to new arrivals from overseas?  Will they listen?  Do they care?  

Through the years, I've read many posts suggesting that Scotland has changed and inevitably Rangers must too.  Maybe older Bears will see (and feel) more changes than younger Bears.  I still cheer for my team and defend them to the hilt even in these foreign parts but our club has changed.

What I'm trying to remember is: did my dad and grandfather tell me that the Rangers of the 1950's had changed from his childhood?    

So was our country.

We are still a Scottish club, and while our club is built on good Scottish Protestant values and our support largely comes from that community, we have never been a club exclusively for Protestants.

The beggars brought religion into football in Glasgow not us.

2 minutes ago, minstral said:

We are known all over the world as a Protestant club.

That's often the first thing trotted out when describing Rangers in foreign press, as it often comes in the context of an old firm game and they nearly always explain the rivalry in terms of Protestant Rangers v Catholic Celtic. 

It's actually lazy C&P journalism and the reality is somewhat diluted.

we are a scottish club with a proud protestant history. my dad was protestant and he brought me up as protestant too. he and his side of the family are all very proud protestants and rangers fans. i personally am not religious but love this club and respect its history. 

we should be proud of our club but i think we should be welcoming to everyone no matter age, sex, race, religion or political views. i know that'll get some people worked up and no doubt be told to stay away from ibrox or that i'd better supporting celtic and i totally understand why people think like that but that's just my opinion and i don't care if you disagree with it.

as long as we turn up to support the team on the pitch then i don't care who sits beside me.

1 minute ago, Mr Soprano said:

Pathetic.

Move with the times ffs.

How is it pathetic? Of course we are a Scottish Protestant club, this does not mean we can't be accepting of others, small minded opinions like that make it sound like we should be ashamed of what we are.

PATHETIC.

4 minutes ago, ForeverBlue93 said:

How is it pathetic? Of course we are a Scottish Protestant club, this does not mean we can't be accepting of others, small minded opinions like that make it sound like we should be ashamed of what we are.

PATHETIC.

We are not a Protestant club, that outdated outlook was left with the old club.

We are now thankfully multicultural and open to all.

PATHETIC.

Too many of our support and people connected with us are ashamed of our past.  Only one club in this country should be ashamed of their past.

yes we are a Protestant club and that should never change. 

30 minutes ago, The Widow's Son said:

As a Bluenose, Protestant, Presbyterian child, boy and man, I originally started watching The Rangers mid 1960's and have followed them whenever possible - travelling across a few times per season when I can.  I spend most of my life in Cape Town now - and I still have, as my wife, kids and most of my friends have - blue blooded Rangers supporter and shall forever be. if Rangers change, further then I'll still support them, but still keep my pre-60s/70s ethic.  By the way, even my pool table is blue and you'll never find anything green anywhere near my hoose - even playing golf I aim for the bunkers :happy: