A short note on tax law for Rangers fans and bheasts

Virtuoso

Nice to see English getting torn to shreds for being a brainwashed agenda seeker. A man that was barely on BBC pre 2012, seems to making a nice wee earning now and he intents to keep it that way, whether he is correct or not.

Which is 'not morally right or conventional" far a "journalist" paid by the licence fee. In fact it is "unlawful" in my opinion.

I've followed the guy arguing with RangersTaxCase blog today. He was originally commenting on the SC decision, and the usual suspects appeared and tried to drag him into the wider debate (and English trying to get him to clarify what the word 'unlawful means :lol: ), which clearly he hasn't a whole lot of familiarity with (he's said as such).

Although I never had the benefit of a sectarian education myself its easy to see that what they lack in the 3 R's they  have made up for with extensive lessons on complex business and taxation law.

While the best legal minds in the country wrangle with the swathes of docs and legalities related to this complex case, yet remain divided.. the bheasts are crystal  clear. They have decided on Rangers guilt, even without possession of all the facts, such is their legal prowess.

Poor Bernadette, she must have endured one cunt of a week. 

"Rangers, at the time, believed they were acting well within the law as EBTs were widely used not only in football but in other industries - Overseas workers in the oil industry in particular.  It was a legal form of payment at the time so why was this club hounded for overdue tax?  The real shame of it all is those other scottish clubs should think shame of themselves their behaviour is embarrassing to say the least."

Read that in the comments section. 

If we didn't use EBT's, we would have used another scheme offering similar savings. Every major UK club is trying to minimise tax liability, and every major club, especially back then, was trying something of similar ilk to EBT's.

My sympathy towards our club does end when we continued to use EBT's after advice not to.

Celtic clearly advised employees about the film schemes, thats how they found a solution to tax avoidance. Difference is that the liability appears with the individual rather than the club. Morally.... is it that different?

The very bottom line is:

Company tax arrangements have no relation to sporting performance and therefore, dealing with one should not be impacting the other.

Celtic have benefited from favourable dealings with GCC (Company performance)

Kilmarnock and others have favourable CVAs arranged with banks and HMRC

Some Scottish clubs have favourable investors that take very little return for their investment

All of that is business, and shouldn't impact the sporting achievements on the park.

1 hour ago, OneDavidCooper said:

So, if we didn't act unlawfully, and if it was unlawful to relegate us, then I want Celtic to be stripped of at least 5 titles.

This??. I reckon you could be on to something there. What if our demotion was challenged and deemed unlawful, could we strip their titles?

1 hour ago, kelvd1873 said:

This??. I reckon you could be on to something there. What if our demotion was challenged and deemed unlawful, could we strip their titles?

This is probably what they are ultimately worried about the best form of defence is always attack 

14 minutes ago, Thermopylae said:

Strange reply ... so the only other team that wins titles is illegally demoted but their titles wins don't become unlawful? 

What's strange about it?

The question wasn't should we, it was could we, and I've seen nothing to suggest we have the power or influence to do so.