Club 1872 Statement

Siam69

IPSO and BBC Complaints

Club 1872 would like to inform members and the wider Rangers support that in the past day or so we have submitted several complaints to both the Independent Press Standards Organisation (IPSO) and the BBC. These complaints are regarding the coverage of the final result in the ‘Big Tax Case’ and also the recent decision of the SPFL to draw a line under the calls from Celtic and other vested interests in Scottish football to further penalise Rangers for ...use of an Employee Benefit Trust scheme.

Some of these complaints are for lack of accuracy and others, specifically regarding BBC Scotland, are for what we consider to be biased reporting in favour of the previously mentioned vested interests. These reports are in our view designed to misinform and prejudice the general public against Rangers and have contained none of the balance required of the BBC.

We hope and expect these complaints to be upheld but do not envisage having a definitive outcome to any of them for several weeks or months as we work our way through the complaints processes. With respect for those processes we won’t make any further comment until the outcome is known.

It will not surprise anyone in the Rangers support to know that the IPSO complaint is for an article which appeared in the Daily Record newspaper. We would like to thank the Rangers community for the fantastic support we have had for our #ChangeTheRecord campaign. We intend to continue this campaign into the new season and hope that more and more Rangers fans are becoming aware of the need for us to fight for fairer coverage for our football club.

Issued by Supporters Voice Limited, a Club 1872 company.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Would have liked them to be a bit more specific in their statement like the media's use of the phrase "unlawul" but unsure if they can't mention specifics while an official complaint has been submitted? 

Reading that it seems they won't be happy until a proper apology is offered and retraction.

Good work and these biased articles need challenged at every turn in order to get some parity and fairness when reporting on our club.

No longer open season on us, just got to keep it up.

1 minute ago, K.A.I said:

Would have liked them to be a bit more specific in their statement like the media's use of the phrase "unlawul" but unsure if they can't mention specifics while an official complaint has been submitted? 

They can mention anything they want when a complaint has been submitted, it's not like court where it could potentially be prejudicial.

The "unlawful" bit is an interesting one. The SPFL used that phrase in their statement so I'm not sure I can see any complaint upheld if they have directly quoted that, however, someone like Tom English's use of it (where he has specifically stated that it was the SPFL counsel's view) makes it a bit more of a dodgy position.

I'd also be curious to see what Record article it is they've complained about.

11 minutes ago, Siam69 said:

We intend to continue this campaign into the new season and hope that more and more Rangers fans are becoming aware of the need for us to fight for fairer coverage for our football club.

:tu:

Into the season and beyond. The more we raise awareness of what these rags are up to the more likely people are to abandon them.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

They can mention anything they want when a complaint has been submitted, it's not like court where it could potentially be prejudicial.

The "unlawful" bit is an interesting one. The SPFL used that phrase in their statement so I'm not sure I can see any complaint upheld if they have directly quoted that, however, someone like Tom English's use of it (where he has specifically stated that it was the SPFL counsel's view) makes it a bit more of a dodgy position.

Probably your blogs..

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Yeah I was thinking that actually but didn't want to state it and be wrong. 

I don't know how anyone can call it unlawful - English, Gollum or the SPFL. They were lawful but we got fined 250k for not filing the paperwork correctly (which in an interview with Topping and McKenzie today both claim would never be classed as sporting advantage - infact, one of them even said he wasn't apolgising for Rangers but that's the fact of the matter)

Just now, K.A.I said:

Yeah I was thinking that actually but didn't want to state it and be wrong. 

I don't know how anyone can call it unlawful - English, Gollum or the SPFL. They were lawful but we got fined 250k for not filing the paperwork correctly (which in an interview with Topping and McKenzie today both claim would never be classed as sporting advantage - infact, one of them even said he wasn't apolgising for Rangers but that's the fact of the matter)

I totally agree, the day of the SC result, Jo Maugham was on the Record's Rangers podcast and walked through exactly what the judgement meant in terms of lawfulness etc.

Personally, I would go further and appeal to ALL Rangers fans to stop buying this newspaper. If we stopped buying copy and Rangers minded businessmen stopped buying advertising space, either in print or online, then we could do some serious damage to this Rhag. We have the power guys. I wouldn't suggest that anyone doesn't pay their TV Licence as that is illegal, but you can effect viewing, listening figures and online click counts by again boycotting this tarrier infested media outlet. With regards to the Record, to take matters further, if we announced a buying boycott of all companies who advertise in this newspaper, or associated newspapers then again we can further turn the screw.

Just now, The Ibrox Derry said:

Personally, I would go further and appeal to ALL Rangers fans to stop buying this newspaper. If we stopped buying copy and Rangers minded businessmen stopped buying advertising space, either in print or online, then we could do some serious damage to this Rhag. We have the power guys. I wouldn't suggest that anyone doesn't pay their TV Licence as that is illegal, but you can effect viewing, listening figures and online click counts by again boycotting this tarrier infested media outlet. With regards to the Record, to take matters further, if we announced a buying boycott of all companies who advertise in this newspaper, or associated newspapers then again we can further turn the screw.

No it's not.

This whole subject pisses me right off. Every fucking day you have folks coming on here like weans greetin' Tae their wee mammies. Such and such paper said this, such and such paper said that, such and such paper said the next thing. STOP FUCKING BUYING THE PAPER THEN YA COMPLETE FANNY SPANGLE.