Pena

27 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

And yet you think whatever the problem  it is "disgraceful" he isn't ready. I wish what Caixinha is doing with Pena was the kind of management given to other players who have played for this club throughout the years; I welcome the fact that the manager has paid attention to the time needed for certain players to adjust more than others, and is being more subtle and intelligent with his perspective to this. Pena has something about him, and it's a good thing he didn't play last night, because it added meaning to the manager's words regarding him getting the player ready at some time in the future.

I don't have a problem with the way Pedro is being with him, it's Pena who I think is a disgrace.

38 minutes ago, jbm26896 said:

I trust the manager on this - he knows what's happening with Pena .

When he is ready he will play - similar to Morelos last night.

This :tu:

we have no idea what is going on, Pedro does.. therefore it is all speculative.

1 hour ago, Turnberry18 said:

I think there is a slight contradiction there, because the manager signed him, he was very clear about who we were signing etc. 

I don't know if there's any truth in him partying and being overweight but I do know he was drinking all last week in a city centre bar and on the Friday night less than 48 hours before the Motherwell game he was absolutely pished.

Just hope Pedro can sort him out otherwise we've wasted millions on a dud.

30 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

I don't know if there's any truth in him partying and being overweight but I do know he was drinking all last week in a centre bar and on the Friday night less than 48 hours before the Motherwell game he was absolutely pished.

Just hope Pedro can sort him out otherwise we've wasted millions on a dud.

I would rather go with the clear evidence that he has been working on his fitness, and it's very premature to even consider whether we have wasted money on the player or not. We haven't even played our second league match yet.

9 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

I would rather go with the clear evidence that he has been working on his fitness, and it's very premature to even consider whether we have wasted money on the player or not. We haven't even played our second league match yet.

Hopefully the manager is on top of the situation and as you say we haven't even played our second league match yet.

Not saying he won't come good but just that the early indications aren't good for the reasons I stated above.

21 minutes ago, Real Ranger said:

Hopefully the manager is on top of the situation and as you say we haven't even played our second league match yet.

Not saying he won't come good but just that the early indications aren't good for the reasons I stated above.

They might be better than what we think though. Firstly, the player didn't really look that out of place in the short time he played, not really; secondly, how many players have we had from abroad who have come with bigger reputations than Pena, and haven't looked good, and never settled? Maybe this approach by Caixinha is a little more thoughtful, if I can put it that way; in that a player comes and every aspect is paid attention to in order to make him feel at home here, and for him to adjust. I think the reassuring thing is that the manager has a very sound narrative when it comes to Pena, and not playing him last night was a good way of proving that. The easy thing would have been to send him on a 4-0 up and make him look brilliant, and then drop him for a more important match; I'm glad there is a great deal of thought going into this; it's about time we did this kind of thing. If pays off, then it will be very rewarding for the club and the manager.

3 hours ago, M0NTY said:

Thats amazing how your grammar suddenly improved since your original post amigo. And why you would type in spanish on an english speaking forum in the first place not once but twice then go through the trouble it must cause your mind to translate it a second time into english...

I did not translate anything, and yes my english is pretty good considering it is not my first language thank you "mate", you know it is quite a common thing to speak english in my country when you have certain degree of studies, be sides let's no forget we are neighbors with USA (an english speaking country) also it happens that i live in Reynosa a city wich borders with said Country. About my grammar i'm trying, i almost never write in english so this serves me as a good excersice, of course i will have some errors but reading some of you i remember what i learned in school about written english, so you "mate" are like a feed back, thanks. The typing in spanish was wrong and i rectified that wrong, but i did not insult you unlike you that is not my way. In resume i wish well, bye.

2 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

I think there is a slight contradiction there, because the manager signed him, he was very clear about who we were signing etc. 

It's not a contradiction at all, there's no way he could have known he would take this long to get up to scratch.

27 minutes ago, Frank Harrison said:

It's not a contradiction at all, there's no way he could have known he would take this long to get up to scratch.

Really, when we all had some idea about the player; that he was a player of potential at one time, who had lost his way in recent times? If Caixinha is surprised about the player's condition, and what it will take to get him ready for us then he has a funny way of showing it.

From what I can make out Pena has been pretty much written off as a spent force in Mexico for various reasons. That said there is nothing to suggest with the correct management he can't get back to the form that made him a Mexican international. He is after all still very much a young man. 

It's probably safe to say hes been considered damaged goods and viewed as a gamble by other clubs, a gamble that Pedro was willing to take on our behalf. If I'm being honest it has to be a concern he's taken so long to make a competitive debut which indicates to me there are more than just fitness issues with the player.

To a lesser extent there are similarities with Gascoigne and Walter here. Every club were aware of his talent but due to his injuries they were hesitant at the time and we were able to get him. Not saying its exactly the same circumstances but Gazza needed handling right and it seems this boy does too.  If only Penna could have half the impact the Gazza boy had we'd have won a watch.

Let's hope for Rangers sake the guy buckles down and repays the managers faith in him .God knows we are due a bit of payback if karma plays any part in the transfer market. With all the duds that have come and gone over the last few years surely it's time we had a great one work out for us.  For now,  though far from ideal all we can do is trust Pedro to work his magic with the guy and hope he can help him recapture what made him a player in the first place and we reap the benefits.

1 minute ago, Gazza1212 said:

From what I can make out Pena has been pretty much written off as a spent force in Mexico for various reasons. That said there is nothing to suggest with the correct management he can't get back to the form that made him a Mexican international. He is after all still very much a young man. 

It's probably safe to say hes been considered damaged goods and viewed as a gamble by other clubs, a gamble that Pedro was willing to take on our behalf. If I'm being honest it has to be a concern he's taken so long to make a competitive debut which indicates to me there are more than just fitness issues with the player.

To a lesser extent there are similarities with Gascoigne and Walter here. Every club were aware of his talent but due to his injuries they were hesitant at the time and we were able to get him. Not saying its exactly the same circumstances but Gazza needed handling right and it seems this boy does too.  If only Penna could have half the impact the Gazza boy had we'd have won a watch.

Let's hope for Rangers sake the guy buckles down and repays the managers faith in him .God knows we are due a bit of payback if karma plays any part in the transfer market. With all the duds that have come and gone over the last few years surely it's time we had a great one work out for us.  For now,  though far from ideal all we can do is trust Pedro to work his magic with the guy and hope he can help him recapture what made him a player in the first place and we reap the benefits.

you made a lot of that up didn't you?

2 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

Taking all of that with a pinch of salt but if there's even an element of truth to the first 2 paragraphs of that post then it's ludicrous that we spent the sort of money that's been reported.

I'm going to agree with @KeyserSoze on this one though. Pure madeuppery.

1 minute ago, LaudrupsAsicsBoots said:

Taking all of that with a pinch of salt but if there's even an element of truth to the first 2 paragraphs of that post then it's ludicrous that we spent the sort of money that's been reported.

I'm going to agree with @KeyserSoze on this one though. Pure madeuppery.

'madeuppery" :lol:

can I use that newbootman?

It was clear from the reports in Mexico when we were signing him that he came with some baggage. The same reports also said he was undoubtedly a very talented footballer not living up to his potential. Had he not had the baggage and was fulfilling his potential then let's be honest we couldn't have signed him. So it was always a gamble of a signing but Pedro obviously feels he can get the best out of him. This is one we'll need to be patient with and if it doesn't work out so be it. No manager gets every signing right and the early signs are that we have got the majority right so far.

3 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

well for a start............

Nah I can't be fucked to be honest

You're going to have to take me at my word or just call bullshit , either way I don't really give a fuck but here goes anyway.  I was on holiday in San Diego roughly a month ago and Mexico were playing San Salvador there. Mexico have a huge following there for obvious geographical reasons.  Long story short the MacDonalds we were in was crawling with USA born Mexico fans after the game and I was asking about both Penna and Herrera as you do. To a man I got more or less the same line from them all that he's been a player but now not so much...... This and the Wee snippets about his character we all got when he first signed leads me to suspect he's no model pro.......fk me that was the short version and feels like war and peace.

26 minutes ago, Gazza1212 said:

You're going to have to take me at my word or just call bullshit , either way I don't really give a fuck but here goes anyway.  I was on holiday in San Diego roughly a month ago and Mexico were playing San Salvador there. Mexico have a huge following there for obvious geographical reasons.  Long story short the MacDonalds we were in was crawling with USA born Mexico fans after the game and I was asking about both Penna and Herrera as you do. To a man I got more or less the same line from them all that he's been a player but now not so much...... This and the Wee snippets about his character we all got when he first signed leads me to suspect he's no model pro.......fk me that was the short version and feels like war and peace.

For a start stop eating in McDonald's ffs that shit will make you obese like them USA born gringos. 

Secondly if anyone asked me when I was abroad about say,  the thumb - I would say he was utter shite. 

And thirdly you don't actually know what's going on with Pena so you made some more stuff up and made some tenuous link to Gazza. 

There I've bitten, happy, jackanory?

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

For a start stop eating in McDonald's ffs that shit will make you obese like them USA born gringos. 

Secondly if anyone asked me when I was abroad about say,  the thumb - I would say he was utter shite. 

And thirdly you don't actually know what's going on with Pena so you made some more stuff up and made some tenuous link to Gazza. 

There I've bitten, happy, jackanory?

Never said I knew what was going on with Penna, merely offered a viewpoint like everybody else who's posted on the subject. Care to offer yours or you just content to induce a pointless argument.?

Also the thumb is utter shite you trying to infer he's no?

Like somebody in here said Peña is a very talented player who has struggle/fallen from grace in México in the last year or so, when he was at León a couple of years ago he was dominating the league every pundit was singing his praises and saying he will be in a great european league in no time, then when he came to Chivas everything change, see Deportivo Guadalajara (Chivas) it's the biggest club in here and he under perfom, did not cope with the pressure i don't know, but i still think he has quality in abundance and can be a star for Rangers and the national team.