Thoughts on Neymar as a player?

Gaz52

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Gaz52 said:

I know it's hard to see past the money involved in his transfer..

But try and ignore it for a minute

How do you rate him as a player? 

He's achieved a lot already and he's only 25. He can be a genius with the ball at his feet, he's a great finisher, can hit free kicks, can dribble past players, can pick out a pass. He can be a joy to watch IMO. 

He dives a lot though and can be a bit baw-greedy, makes poor decisions sometimes IMO. 

I've said for a while though I reckon he'll be the next Ballon d'Or winner after Messi & Ronaldo, although I don't know what kind of impact it'll have on him as a player now he'll be playing in France.

I think that he performs better when he's the star striker and he's first in line to take free kicks etc.

I've not been overly impressed with him at Barcelona, but thought that he looks good in the national team. He's a really classy player, but the money quoted is outrageous. You could feed a few countries for a year, and more, on the transfer fee mentioned.

I remember years ago reading that Jim Baxter, saying that no player is worth £100,000 transfer money. Now we've got players earning double that, and more, each week. The football world has gone cash crazy!

6 hours ago, RDFM said:

Take the Brazilian league out of the equation all you like, bit I'm not sure why you'd take Ronaldo's PL seasons out the equation too unless it was to align with your narrative, I mean, it's hardly a mark against Ronaldo that he decided to leave his poverty league at a young age as opposed to stat padding in it.

Ronaldo is the second best player of all time, Neymar will never reach that level.

I didn't take Ronaldo's PL seasons out the equation too. You were dismissing Neymar's goals in the Brazilian league so I used his stats from when he joined Barcelona at 21 til now against Ronaldo's stats from 21 to 25.

I thought that was obvious.

2 hours ago, LaudrupsPatrickBoots said:

I didn't take Ronaldo's PL seasons out the equation too. You were dismissing Neymar's goals in the Brazilian league so I used his stats from when he joined Barcelona at 21 til now against Ronaldo's stats from 21 to 25.

I thought that was obvious.

Of course I dismissed Neymars seasons in the Brazilian league because it is an easy league to star in and score in, regardless, I am aware you didn't take any of Ronaldo's seasons out but you didn't include any before he was 21 but you excluded his seasons for United before he was 21 which shouldn't be excluded.

You're proposed argument was that you could make a reasonable claim that Neymar at the age of 25 was better than Ronaldo at the age of 25, not that in a 4 year spell between 21-25 in a better team in a worse league Neymar scored more goals than a Ronaldo while also not winning as many club and individual honours. 

32 minutes ago, RDFM said:

Of course I dismissed Neymars seasons in the Brazilian league because it is an easy league to star in and score in, regardless, I am aware you didn't take any of Ronaldo's seasons out but you didn't include any before he was 21 but you excluded his seasons for United before he was 21 which shouldn't be excluded.

You're proposed argument was that you could make a reasonable claim that Neymar at the age of 25 was better than Ronaldo at the age of 25, not that in a 4 year spell between 21-25 in a better team in a worse league Neymar scored more goals than a Ronaldo while also not winning as many club and individual honours. 

So what you want me to do is discount Neymar's career before he was 21 but still include Ronaldo's?

7 seasons against 4. That'll be a fair argument won't it :lol:

Clearly one of the current world's best. That transfer fee buyout clause was put into his contract at a ridiculous level to deter buyers. If that wasn't there, he may have gone for about £100M (still ridiculous).

7 hours ago, Thewhitesettler said:

I think that he performs better when he's the star striker and he's first in line to take free kicks etc.

I've not been overly impressed with him at Barcelona, but thought that he looks good in the national team. He's a really classy player, but the money quoted is outrageous. You could feed a few countries for a year, and more, on the transfer fee mentioned.

I remember years ago reading that Jim Baxter, saying that no player is worth £100,000 transfer money. Now we've got players earning double that, and more, each week. The football world has gone cash crazy!

Then slim Jim seen Colin Stein and changed his mind ?

La Liga blocking the move saying it would contravene financial fair play rules and they can't be part of that, essentially.

What the fuck's it got to do with them? PSG has met the release clause and the obligation to pay it in full, upfront. If there's a financial fair play issue that's upto UEFA/FIFA to visit it's fuck-all to do with Barcelona.

Barcelona/LA Liga acting like tarriers. 

1 hour ago, K.A.I said:

La Liga blocking the move saying it would contravene financial fair play rules and they can't be part of that, essentially.

What the fuck's it got to do with them? PSG has met the release clause and the obligation to pay it in full, upfront. If there's a financial fair play issue that's upto UEFA/FIFA to visit it's fuck-all to do with Barcelona.

Barcelona/LA Liga acting like tarriers. 

There's absolutely no way La Liga are on solid ground here :lol: