Legia Banner

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, bluedylan said:

Also ramping it up with Germany (EU) demands on Poland over migrants possibly

I seem to remember when Brexit happened; on a French politics discussion show had the Germans/Leftists/French all talking as though we need to be crushed and punished for our insubordination etc. etc. and there was a Polish politician/minister or whatever there and while they were all discussing exactly how we would be put in our place he was more close to "Well we need to respect that vote, let's not be hasty or harsh here, if the EU had listened..." and he was getting speared for it and he ended up rolling his eyes at them in a kind of "This is exactly why people don't like the EU". I mention this because Brexit negotiations are happening and Poland imo are our closest allies, will be interesting to see exactly what they do over the next few years.

The Poles were harshly treated in WWII.

We went to war with Hitler, to fight for Polish freedom. Then after the war we allowed Stalin to install a communist, puppet regime, and the Poles were not much better off.

We let the USA take over, after they joined the war late, although they're trying to make sure that they're in it from the start of the next one nowadays, tbf. Churchill wasn't listened to when he was on about an iron curtain, dividing Europe, with Germany split.

I think this hatred for Germany is overstated these days. Millions of Poles now work across the border in Germany, shop across the border etc. The majority of Poles I've discussed this with in the UK are totally indifferent towards Germany. I think the older ones are the ones who still harbour this hatred - perhaps they heard first hand from their parents what went on and developed that dislike but it's now 2017, what happened was a long time ago during the worst period in European history. 

1 hour ago, psb07158 said:

I think this hatred for Germany is overstated these days. Millions of Poles now work across the border in Germany, shop across the border etc. The majority of Poles I've discussed this with in the UK are totally indifferent towards Germany. I think the older ones are the ones who still harbour this hatred - perhaps they heard first hand from their parents what went on and developed that dislike but it's now 2017, what happened was a long time ago during the worst period in European history. 

I work with a pole who says he hates Russians ten times more than the Germans. 

10 hours ago, Iron Proddy said:

They're mostly right leaning though aren't they? So I give them a slight pass :guns:

Is it related or just coincidental that places like Poland,Hungary and to a lesser extent Italy haven't had any , as far as I am aware, Islamic based terror attacks? Only the 'soft' liberal EU and Scandinavian countries seem to have been targeted the last few years. I include the UK in that. 

Disciplinary proceedings have been opened following the UEFA Champions League third qualifying round second leg match between Legia Warszawa and FC Astana (1-0), played on 2 August in Poland. 
Charges against Legia Warszawa:

Stairways blocked Art. 38 of the UEFA Safety and Security Regulations

Illicit banner Art. 16 (2) of the UEFA Disciplinary Regulations

The case will be dealt with by the UEFA Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body on 17 August 2017.

http://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/disciplinary/index.html

For as much as I disagree with this (the illicit banner charge, but blocking stairways will always get you fined) - if they'd used 'Nazis', instead of 'Germans' they might have had a get out clause - but branding a whole nation murderers and child killers is only going to go one way.

Pity, as it was a cracking display.

• 2 weeks later...