Creampuff

Mark Allen discusses his remit and making Rangers a "selling club"

55 posts in this topic

It doesn't sound particularly glamorous but it's exactly what we need to be doing. 

2 people like this

Bringing in talented players to sell 2-3 years down the line with a healthy profit in today's market as well as producing players through the academy is what we should be doing. Not with every player, but a few to bring revenue into the club.

1 person likes this

Quicker we have a proper scouting network up and running the better we haven't had one for years,not too keen on continually having to sell our best players but that's the reality of playing in Scottish football,any stars we unearth will inevitably want to move on to a better league but we have to start getting maximum value for our players.

2 people like this

It's what we need to be doing tbh. Buy low and sell high the same way the tarriers have been doing.

Cardoso will be the start of it for us imo, a couple of seasons here and then he's off down south.

1 person likes this

Exactly the right strategy for us and every other club in Scotland.

1 person likes this

After many a false dawn hopefully this guy can actually deliver on his words. 

of course we're gonna sell players! fs look at barcelona punting neymar...it just goes to show that any club will sell any player for the right amount of money. 

i know what he's getting at though. we need to find good talent in kids and bring them through auchenhowie and sell them off. bring in unknown but more experienced players and give them time in the 1st team and increase their value before selling them. every club should be aiming to do this. it just makes sense.

We should've been a selling club for years now. McCoist always told us he wanted to adopt the "Ajax/Porto model" whilst signing utter dross players in their 30's :wanker:

3 people like this

Every club in the world is a club. 

Every player has a price, if a club is willing to pay then they'll be sold. 

Just have to look at Neymar. 

Our problem is we need to selling players for upwards of £3m again, at the moment we are only selling players for £1m max. 

We need to buy well, develop the player and then sell on for big money. I hate to say it but it's something Celtic have got spot on for a number of years now. Also a selling club. 

If we get a couple or three seasons out of say Cardoso and he turns out a belter there is no reason he should not go for Van Dyke or Wayanama (sp?) money.

The trick is unearthing them in the first place and that is something we cant get any worse at.

Give the guys the Ibrox experience and when it becomes obvious they are destined for a higher level than the SPL , thank you very much and hopefully the conveyor belt is chucking them out by them.

"I'll make Rangers a selling club." Translated as "Like the look of your new players last night Rangers fans? Well fuck you! They're all going to Southampton in January."

No prizes for guessing which newspaper decided to pick out that headline from what I thought was an excellent interview from Mark Allen.

3 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Every club in Scotland is a selling club unfortunately. We need to be better at it than we have been and better at it than others. That being said, its still not a very palatable message.

However in fairness to him I would also say that the "selling" message is only in the headline - the guy himself only says "There will be some who come in and stay a few years and are then sold on, while there will be others who come and stay for good".

I fail to see how that is different from almost any club in the world

Reluctantly I agree with you.

He doesn't actually say that though. 

Some players will come & go after 1 or 2 season, some will come & stay for their career. 

2 people like this

3 hours ago, Vanoli said:

Every club in the world bar Barcelona and Real Madrid, and arguably Bayern Munich, are selling clubs. Even then, the Neymar deal might have changed that. 

If the price is right every club is a selling club mate👍

I reckon that's a fair statement without the major tv money that the epl get rangers need to create their own revenue streams and that might be through selling players on but hope its not an excuse for teams to take a ride of rangers

1 person likes this

What he said was good. It's not an exciting job that we want to read about but creating effective policy and structure, planning for the future not just flying by the seat of our pants is exactly what we need. After years of being run poorly to say the least. 

Don't take my Cardoso away from me. 💔

4 hours ago, Gman36 said:

It doesn't sound particularly glamorous but it's exactly what we need to be doing. 

To survive in Scotland that's exactly what has to happen , the club have to trade at a profit and The more it succeeds the stronger position to negotiate .

55 minutes ago, RDFM said:

You're not wrong there. 

Hahahahaha.

Smart as fuck me.. 

1 person likes this

The situation at the moment is that the financial rewards for the club will rarely be found in our performances; even if we qualified for the CL, the money gained from that would not impact our ability to buy players that much, which compared to a couple of decades ago was not the case. It's not where we necessarily where we want to be, but we are here and we have to use our resources to our best. Selling players and also bringing on our own players more will be an important factor in our gaining those rewards, and it's good that we have people at the club who are putting a plan together to bring that about.