Mark Allen discusses his remit and making Rangers a "selling club"

Creampuff

I’ll make Rangers a selling club reveals new Ibrox director of football Mark Allen

Mark Allen has revealed his Rangers remit and also insisted he plans to make the Glasgow giants a selling club.

The Ibrox side’s new director of football joined from Manchester City in the close season and vowed to give Pedro Caixinha all the help he needs. 

However, he plans to ensure Rangers earn a reputation for finding stars of the future before moving them on at a huge profit. 

Allen said: “The whole thing around the director of football role needs some clarity in many respects.

Mine is an overarching role and not the day to day in terms of team management.

It’s to make sure the club going forward is sustainable, it has a solid base and each other is pretty resourced so that our future is solid and bright.

“The overall remit is stability and planning. In my last role I pretty much looked after all the football operations up to the first team.

“The most important thing for me is that we have a robust scouting network and that’s my primary focus. I’m underway with that, obviously that’s the life-blood of the club.

“It’s vital we find players who fit the profile of Rangers players as well as developing a pathway for young players to come through.

“We need eyes in the field and a lot of systems in the background about players.

“It’s identifying the needs and making sure we know everything about the player before we recruit them.

“It’s essential we develop our own players, so the youth academy is critical to our future and I think the fans love to see young players coming through, that’s the medium to long term plan.

“The short-term plan is to make sure we recruit players who will add value to the club.

“There will be some who come in and stay a few years and are then sold on, while there will be others who come and stay for good.

“More than anything is to identify the right player for Rangers to make us successful.

“A Rangers player is someone who has desire, passion and will go the extra half yard and when the chips are down they come out fighting.

“That is non-negotiable in many respects. In terms of philosophy that is something that will evolve over time.”

Allen says he will have a close working relationship with Caixinha and told the Scottish Sun : “I will work on a day-to-day basis with Pedro. But to make it clear it’s Pedro’s team and he picks the players.

“He will pick the tactics and everything to do with the team but it’s my job to make sure everything is running smoothly and his focus can be solely on the pitch.

“My job is not to get involved with player performances that is the manager’s remit.

“I will deal more with the strategies and taking the club forward. I want to put fans at rest and tell them there is plans to move forward.

“It will take time to build but I want to make sure the fans are suitably informed and get rid of any fears they may have.”

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quicker we have a proper scouting network up and running the better we haven't had one for years,not too keen on continually having to sell our best players but that's the reality of playing in Scottish football,any stars we unearth will inevitably want to move on to a better league but we have to start getting maximum value for our players.

Every club in Scotland is a selling club unfortunately. We need to be better at it than we have been and better at it than others. That being said, its still not a very palatable message.

However in fairness to him I would also say that the "selling" message is only in the headline - the guy himself only says "There will be some who come in and stay a few years and are then sold on, while there will be others who come and stay for good".

I fail to see how that is different from almost any club in the world

of course we're gonna sell players! fs look at barcelona punting neymar...it just goes to show that any club will sell any player for the right amount of money. 

i know what he's getting at though. we need to find good talent in kids and bring them through auchenhowie and sell them off. bring in unknown but more experienced players and give them time in the 1st team and increase their value before selling them. every club should be aiming to do this. it just makes sense.

Every club in the world is a club. 

Every player has a price, if a club is willing to pay then they'll be sold. 

Just have to look at Neymar. 

Our problem is we need to selling players for upwards of £3m again, at the moment we are only selling players for £1m max. 

We need to buy well, develop the player and then sell on for big money. I hate to say it but it's something Celtic have got spot on for a number of years now. Also a selling club. 

If we get a couple or three seasons out of say Cardoso and he turns out a belter there is no reason he should not go for Van Dyke or Wayanama (sp?) money.

The trick is unearthing them in the first place and that is something we cant get any worse at.

Give the guys the Ibrox experience and when it becomes obvious they are destined for a higher level than the SPL , thank you very much and hopefully the conveyor belt is chucking them out by them.

38 minutes ago, Ryan_1 said:

Every club in the world is a club. 

Every player has a price, if a club is willing to pay then they'll be sold. 

Just have to look at Neymar. 

Our problem is we need to selling players for upwards of £3m again, at the moment we are only selling players for £1m max. 

We need to buy well, develop the player and then sell on for big money. I hate to say it but it's something Celtic have got spot on for a number of years now. Also a selling club. 

You're not wrong there. 

"I'll make Rangers a selling club." Translated as "Like the look of your new players last night Rangers fans? Well fuck you! They're all going to Southampton in January."

No prizes for guessing which newspaper decided to pick out that headline from what I thought was an excellent interview from Mark Allen.

3 hours ago, cushynumber said:

Every club in Scotland is a selling club unfortunately. We need to be better at it than we have been and better at it than others. That being said, its still not a very palatable message.

However in fairness to him I would also say that the "selling" message is only in the headline - the guy himself only says "There will be some who come in and stay a few years and are then sold on, while there will be others who come and stay for good".

I fail to see how that is different from almost any club in the world

Reluctantly I agree with you.

What he said was good. It's not an exciting job that we want to read about but creating effective policy and structure, planning for the future not just flying by the seat of our pants is exactly what we need. After years of being run poorly to say the least. 

4 hours ago, Gman36 said:

It doesn't sound particularly glamorous but it's exactly what we need to be doing. 

To survive in Scotland that's exactly what has to happen , the club have to trade at a profit and The more it succeeds the stronger position to negotiate .

The situation at the moment is that the financial rewards for the club will rarely be found in our performances; even if we qualified for the CL, the money gained from that would not impact our ability to buy players that much, which compared to a couple of decades ago was not the case. It's not where we necessarily where we want to be, but we are here and we have to use our resources to our best. Selling players and also bringing on our own players more will be an important factor in our gaining those rewards, and it's good that we have people at the club who are putting a plan together to bring that about.

In praise of Pedro and the current system: last season we let go so many players for nothing, GIlks, Barton, Nicky Law and several others all went on a free. Think about that. Free. Now even if you were glad to get rid of these players that is madness. A team the size of Rangers letting players go for free in this day and age (and Warburton is supposed to be from a business background) it's almost laughable.

Compare that with the movement of Garner, Waghorn, and the rest. It's still too early to get carried away with PC's management but something seems to be going right doesn't it?