Mark Allen discusses his remit and making Rangers a "selling club"

Creampuff

1 minute ago, saintbob1969 said:

In praise of Pedro and the current system: last season we let go so many players for nothing, GIlks, Barton, Nicky Law and several others all went on a free. Think about that. Free. Now even if you were glad to get rid of these players that is madness. A team the size of Rangers letting players go for free in this day and age (and Warburton is supposed to be from a business background) it's almost laughable.

Compare that with the movement of Garner, Waghorn, and the rest. It's still too early to get carried away with PC's management but something seems to be going right doesn't it?

Giving McGregor to fucking Hibs was unforgivable,imagine giving they cunts anything 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, 6superbarry6 said:

Giving McGregor to fucking Hibs was unforgivable,imagine giving they cunts anything 

We seriously failed in more than just the football dept last few seasons, without a doubt. Templeton, Bell, Aird, Dean Shiels, Gasparotto, Nicky Clarke, Nicky Law, Andy Murdoch, Robbie Crawford all for free. I mean, even if we don't really rate them, I have to stop and say that again, for FREE! Ok Gilks was an undisclosed amount so I got that one wrong.

19 minutes ago, saintbob1969 said:

We seriously failed in more than just the football dept last few seasons, without a doubt. Templeton, Bell, Aird, Dean Shiels, Gasparotto, Nicky Clarke, Nicky Law, Andy Murdoch, Robbie Crawford all for free. I mean, even if we don't really rate them, I have to stop and say that again, for FREE! Ok Gilks was an undisclosed amount so I got that one wrong.

NO club in Scotland is going to pay a fee for any of those players above. Realistically only ourselves, the scum, Hearts Hibs and Aberdeen are going to pay fees. Occasionally you may get the likes of Ross County spending 50-60k on a player. 

Aird we probably couldn've got a fee for from an MLS side if we had him on a better deal. If Nicky Law had played in the SPFL with us, we might've got 200k for him. We have to accept all the above players were on big wages for their ability. As a result you chance getting a small fee by signing a player long term, although he can sit on his arse for 5 years getting 5k if you can't. Or you let them go for free knowing at least they're off the wage bill. 

10 minutes ago, Bluepeter9 said:

I watched the interview last night - read it again there - where does it say his job is to make sure we are a selling club? 

It's more the implication of what was said. We won't only sell players, but the days when we will have a budget to spend big are well over, certainly in terms of competing at the top end of the transfer market. This Academy route is going to be for selling players on also, and he made that point.

14 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

It's more the implication of what was said. We won't only sell players, but the days when we will have a budget to spend big are well over, certainly in terms of competing at the top end of the transfer market. This Academy route is going to be for selling players on also, and he made that point.

I know we will sell players but everything he said was about getting the right players for us - academy, scouting for our benefit - and to me that's quite a bit different from being a 'selling club' 

23 minutes ago, plymouthranger said:

NO club in Scotland is going to pay a fee for any of those players above. Realistically only ourselves, the scum, Hearts Hibs and Aberdeen are going to pay fees. Occasionally you may get the likes of Ross County spending 50-60k on a player. 

Aird we probably couldn've got a fee for from an MLS side if we had him on a better deal. If Nicky Law had played in the SPFL with us, we might've got 200k for him. We have to accept all the above players were on big wages for their ability. As a result you chance getting a small fee by signing a player long term, although he can sit on his arse for 5 years getting 5k if you can't. Or you let them go for free knowing at least they're off the wage bill. 

The argument still stands: Rangers cannot be the kind of club that can release so many players for nothing. This season we have moved on Garner, Keirnan, and Waghorn for 'something'. None of those Warburton players is worth 'nothing' and somebody is always in the market for players like Law, Clarke, MacGregor, Aird, Shiels, Crawford, Bell and the rest. 

1 minute ago, saintbob1969 said:

The argument still stands: Rangers cannot be the kind of club that can release so many players for nothing. This season we have moved on Garner, Keirnan, and Waghorn for 'something'. None of those Warburton players is worth 'nothing' and somebody is always in the market for players like Law, Clarke, MacGregor, Aird, Shiels, Crawford, Bell and the rest. 

As shite as Warburton's signings largely were, they were a lot better than the players above. The players above failed to get out of the Scottish Championship having finished 3rd in the league. At least Warburton's duds won the division. 

Clubs in England aren't going to pay money for players who couldn't get out of the Scottish Championship, unless they're young with high potential. The Scottish Championship (now that we're out of it with the other two) is probably akin to the 6th tier of English football in terms of standard now. 

I disagree with selling our best young players but the fact of the matter is thats where Scottish football finds itself. If we pull the finger out and command the fees relative to what the players are worth then that would cushion the blow, what worries me is replacing them with players of higher calibre on a consistent basis

8 hours ago, Lloyd72 said:

We already are a selling club, almost all clubs are but we just aren't very good at selling players for what they're worth

Spot on mate, with the crazy prices top clubs are willing to pay, even teams like Madrid are Barca can't keep hold of players they want to stay. Essentially every player has his price so every club on the planet is a selling club if the right price comes in.  

As you say we just need to become smarter on pricing our own players in the current market. 

I doubt if any Supporters would have an issue with Rangers having an ambition to be a selling club.  By that I mean not selling bargain basement players or scraping a small fee for those who don't really 'make it happen' at Ibrox.  I mean selling in the sense of players leaving for transfer fees that are a clear measure of having added real value during their time at Rangers and that value being recognised by a buying club in the form of excellent transfer fee.  

One thing though for this DOF role.   We want title 55 asap, and then some more thereafter.  And soon we have a 150 anniversary coming up when its vital we have a really excellent squad that can do that anniversary proper justice.  Players are needed to achieve these.  Its that emphasis on working to find players that bring that success, immediate success, that I hope the DOF is equally focussed on along with generating good transfer fees.    As I see it there is a really difficult bit to a DOF role at Rangers at this time.   The need for a team that wins the league title very soon and generating good transfer fees.  Because for every good player who leaves for a decent transfer fee, he has to be replaced by someone who can slot in and still make the sort of contribution needed to win titles.   

Long learning curves where a squad is endlessly learning and endlessly being built for future success and - dare I use a word Warburton started to use far too often - 'patience' are not characteristics the Support in general may be too ready to tolerate.    But I guess the DOF knows this and is able to deal with that challenge.  We'll see over the course of the next few seasons. 

39 minutes ago, OhW said:

Don't think it has anything to do with the size of the club. Juventus let Dani Alves go for free and Man United let Rooney go for free.

It's not the point. Letting one or two players go for free is one thing, letting all except Matt Gilks go for free is shambolic.

22 minutes ago, OhW said:

My point is that you bring up the size of the club as a reason why we shouldn't release players for free. I don't think club size has anything to do with it.

Again. The size of this club and its history and stature are exactly the point, Rangers should have been run on a more professional and economically viable footing. A small number of frees is a viable way to move staff and allow others to be brought in, a wholesale giveaway panic bloodletting is unprofessional, not sustainable, and makes Rangers into a bit of a joke. No sizeable club with such history and stature should be a joke. The status of Rangers has everything to do with it. Looking at another financial aspect of the club the Sports Direct deal: again, no club with the fan base and marketing potential of Rangers should be giving away their name for such a tiny percentage. 

In reality Rangers have invested money in training, development, medical care, and more in a large number of players. Poor business for any club of any size.

22 hours ago, Turnberry18 said:

The situation at the moment is that the financial rewards for the club will rarely be found in our performances; even if we qualified for the CL, the money gained from that would not impact our ability to buy players that much, which compared to a couple of decades ago was not the case. It's not where we necessarily where we want to be, but we are here and we have to use our resources to our best. Selling players and also bringing on our own players more will be an important factor in our gaining those rewards, and it's good that we have people at the club who are putting a plan together to bring that about.

your dead right ,cl money is great but doesn't allow us to buy great players ,no point buying players at 10m when the wages these guys command these days way outstrip our budget 

get a cardoso or a morelos in each year ,keep them for a couple of years then punt them for huge profit 

with the right contacts this is achievable 

The filth have been doing it for years but they aren't growing the club,fritzel and co and making plenty 

Easier said than done , every club has the same aim, ie scout promising youngsters and bring them on, we're handicapped by playing in an unattractive league and at the moment we cant even guarantee European football every season. But we're a still a big name and a massive club who can offer the chance to play in front of 50k - few can.

Perversely, the taigs success in this regard can actually help us as it shows potential signings that a big move down south is a possibility if they're good enough but we must do more to hype our players like they do, As much as they overhype their players we seem to do ours down. although we dont have a compliant media happy to run gushing fluff story's about our players like them.

Guys got his work cut out, key obv is the scouting network, Pedro coming from such a left field background has potentially been a boon for us in terms of identifying Morelos and Cardoso, hopefully he's a few others up his sleeve.

41 minutes ago, magic8ball said:

your dead right ,cl money is great but doesn't allow us to buy great players ,no point buying players at 10m when the wages these guys command these days way outstrip our budget 

get a cardoso or a morelos in each year ,keep them for a couple of years then punt them for huge profit 

with the right contacts this is achievable 

The filth have been doing it for years but they aren't growing the club,fritzel and co and making plenty 

It's been an incredible change in the dynamic of finance in football in the last two decade- look what CL money allowed us to do in the mid 90s, and we could compete with some top clubs. You're right, getting Cardoso and Morelos with the sell on potential for those two players gives our club possibilities, and with a better scouting system we could get better at doing that.

1 hour ago, BUILDMYGALLOWS1986 said:

Guy at work seems to think that he gets a percentage of any sell on fee from players he identifies and makes a profit on once we sell! Very good incentive TBH 

downside of that is be could be eager for us to lose better players quicker