Bruno is going to make this league his bitch

Guest Lloyd72

Guest Lloyd72

FATHER FIGURE 

Rangers star Bruno Alves lifts the lid on the special relationship with his dad which has made him the tough guy defender he is today

The Portugal veteran insists his upbringing also helped mould him into the top-class defender Gers already rely so heavily on

By Andy Devlin

BRUNO ALVES has lifted the lid on the special relationship with his dad which helped shape his career — and make him a man.

It’s taken tough-guy stopper Alves just five games to establish himself as the father figure missing at Rangers since the days of Davie Weir.

Veteran Alves’ combative style and no-nonsense approach to defending have won him a place in the hearts of the Gers support, and dismissed the notion Pedro Caixinha’s men will be pushovers this season.

Yet for those who ever saw his dad play, that should come as no surprise.

Washington Geraldo Dias Alves was a feared defender in his own right — a man once bought by a team in Brazil for no other reason than to kick lumps out of a rival striker!

Alves revealed: “The approach I have came from my father.

“He was one of the five most dangerous defenders in Brazil. He was also a centre-back.

“My father played for Flamengo, Bahia and also Coritiba in the south of Brazil.

“There is a famous story, even in Bahia there is a big rivalry between the teams.

“A rival team had a striker who kicked everybody, so they brought my father there to fight against him, and there was a big battle.”

Geraldo and his wife moved to Portugal soon after, where son Bruno was born in the fishing port of Póvoa de Varzim.

Although seemingly picturesque, Alves insists his upbringing also helped mould him into the top-class defender Gers already rely so heavily on.

Alves, 35, added: “I come from the north of Portugal, and my father came from Brazil to play football there.

“It is a special place because it is a fisherman’s city, and they bring a bit of this difficult life to the pitch.

“We always have a lot of good players and talented players from my city, and they have always have this attitude.

“It is something you cannot explain. I come from there.

“So I learned from my father, but also from my city in Varzim, with this culture they have there.

“We played very hard all the time and fought against all the difficulties.

“It was the same when I joined Porto. Back then Porto was a smaller club, but it grew so much.

“Benfica and Sporting were bigger than Porto, but now Porto is what it is because of this kind of fighting behaviour and attitude.”

With this outlook, Alves believes he and Scottish football were destined to be a match made in heaven.

Alves is relishing the physicality of the Premiership, and he will face another battle when Hibs visit Ibrox.

Alves said: “I like to play hard, but I also like to play fair. All of my career I liked to play like this, and many people I know told me I have moved to the right club and the right country, because the style of football here is what I like.

“I have a really good relationship with the West Ham defender Jose Fonte.

“When I told him about Rangers, he said: ‘Bruno, this is a good move for you’.

“He told me it was going to be physical, in Portugal, we say it is going to be your b***h.

“I’m enjoying this kind of environment, these kind of games. The players don’t stop, they fight for every ball. It is a very good experience for myself.”

Since Alves’ introduction against Marseille there has been a steady and gradual improvement in Gers.

Last Sunday’s win over Motherwell was followed by the Betfred thrashing of Dunfermline.

Hibs will provide a much sterner test, but Alves added: “At this moment we need to think game by game, improve our game, that is what I am thinking.

“We did well in the first league game and that brings confidence to the team.

“The cup game was a different level, but it was good to play at home, score goals and play good football too.

“We are improving and getting ready for the upcoming games.

“When I finish playing I want to have had a good experience from Rangers.

“Of course, I came here and brought with me all of the experience and things I have learned over many years for different clubs I have played for, and the Portuguese national team.

Alves scored his first goal for Rangers with this stunning free-kick against Dunfermline

“The players listen to me, that it is about the work we do every day. It is an amazing feeling when they really respect you, and listen to what you say.

“I enjoy it. I have fought for big things all of my career, so it is the same responsibility as always — to win.

“We have a big responsibility in defence not to concede goals. I just want to do my job and feel like I have done it well.”

Alves scored his first goal for Gers in the rout of the Pars with a stunning free-kick.

He said: “With Portugal I don’t get a chance to take them. No one gets a chance!

“But it’s something I have always done. I have scored some free-kicks throughout my career.

“Daniel Candeias was supposed to take it, but I like that position which is not so central.

“We have a lot of players that can score from free-kicks so maybe I won’t take the next one. It was a special moment and I wanted to celebrate the goal with everybody.”

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Lloyd72
15 minutes ago, Courtyard Bear said:

Slams in another free kick then runs straight to the dugout to drop kick the bigot in the head and we all go home happy. 

What you got against Jimmy bell?

3 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Can we stop the Bruno love in?

Some fans will worship any player who's name is known 

Alves has a lot to prove but some want to swallow his spunk already. Cringe.

He's to be made captain based on what he did before joining the club.  Nonsense.