Were we really as bad as people are making out today

lewisrfc93

6 minutes ago, Turnberry18 said:

Of course I'm not, but we had to be pragmatic, and we were pragmatic. Had we equalised through Cardoso finding a better header then who knows how the game would have went; but within our play we had to be conservative about how we went about things. We even nearly equalised for 3-3 at the end. I agree, we need to take our chances when we have them; especially early on for a more commanding lead.

I still think we should be able to control the game better against them, even with ten men. 

Miller in midfield didn't help. Rossiter or Krancjar or any actual midfielder in place of him, then we can slow the game down, keep possession, nullify them and allow us to create chances. We were just chasing them for most of the second half.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, rblair92 said:

I still think we should be able to control the game better against them, even with ten men. 

Miller in midfield didn't help. Rossiter or Krancjar or any actual midfielder in place of him, then we can slow the game down, keep possession, nullify them and allow us to create chances. We were just chasing them for most of the second half.

Exactly, and it appeared to affect Dorrans play, because Dorrans couldn't get into the game much after that. We were the better team, and even a man down we looked better. In the modern game though, a man down does really affect a team badly.

I thought we played well until the sucker punch goal, then in 10mins we were down to 10 and a goal behind. A crazy 10-15 mins.  However, we haven't had a team that could roll the sleeves up and have a siege mentality that they've been hard done to and want to fight until the end. Pedro suggested that's what he wanted in his team but we haven't seen it since Walter's last team, which Thomson commented on during his interview last week - they could mix it when required and knew no one would bully them. We are still too soft.

Going further back, we've all seen 10men against "them" winning in cup games because we kept the midfield tight, and left McCoist etc up top themselves. Granted we don't have players of that quality just now but Hererra's substitution absolutely killed us. Fuck off with Miller in midfield, we had midfielders on the bench, hook Miller and push one of them on to replace Jack ffs, it's school boy stuff. if they're not fit enough, don't have them on the bench. 

In saying all that, we still don't take our chances when totally on top, their ginger ugly fuck scored with their first chance and that happened all too often in the MW era as well. 

2 hours ago, Gman36 said:

He's 35 remember. I said that at the time and folk were saying he was still quick etc. But his age and lengthy career will have an impact.

We were down to 10 men, with:

37 yo Kenny Miller

35 yo Bruno Alves

a five a side player on for the second half (pena)

Herrera who's slower than a week in the jail

What chance did we really have? 

Agreed as someone else had said big pitch to be down to 10 men on for that length of time

I thought big Bruno was brought in to police games like yesterday , after the stokes incidents  , he should have and I thought he was there to cement him fairly or otherwise,stokes will either be hurt or react and get a second yellow , I was really disappointed with big Bruno yesterday , he'll probs not go near the lego muncher like we all hope he would 

2 hours ago, ScotBear said:

A lot of opinion seems to flip flop game to game.

To generalise on here.....

Pre-season....excitement due to transfer activity.

European ties.....every player and the manager should be hung drawn and quartered.

Couple of good pre-season results followed by Motherwell and Dunfermline....excitement back, Pedros plan coming together, promising season ahead.

Hibs.....the end is nigh.

We need to stop over reacting game by game. We haven't won or lost anything yet. Critical analysis is fine but let's keep it in perspective. 

I tried to make this point the other day that a lot of opinions are reactionary.  However, it's not like Hibs were lucky.  There was real cause for concern from us yesterday with the long ball tactics, Miller in midfield, and lack of fighting spirit.

What game were folk watching? We played well for 20 mins and then were shite the rest of the game, the refs decision was shocking and ruined the flow of the game and any chance of a big win, but that didn't excuse the players performances which were not up to standards

18 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

What game were folk watching? We played well for 20 mins and then were shite the rest of the game, the refs decision was shocking and ruined the flow of the game and any chance of a big win, but that didn't excuse the players performances which were not up to standards

Same old failing of not scoring (enough) while you're on top.

52 minutes ago, Tenerife Bear said:

Yes, last week merely papered over the cracks. 

Managers are brought in to buy and play players to their strengths against the opposition and yet in all competitive games this season he has made an arse of them, we have lost control of both league games in the midfield coupled with a poor forward line and continual full back problems. He has not addressed all of the problems from last year and it is killing us.

3 hours ago, 6superbarry6 said:

It's fucking Hibs at home ffs anything other than a convincing win is totally unacceptable,other than the first 20minutes we were garbage and Pedro's "tactics" were abysmal 

See even in our 9 in a row, Advocatt era, McLeish treble or WS last run we didn't scud every team convincingly. 

Some games we did, but some we lost, some we drew and some we scraped through by the skin of our teeth. 

Its revisionist to believe that 'anything other than a convincing win' was ever the norm. 

Edit: and even if it was, we've not got the resources to expect it. Our squad, mentality and all the rest was built up over years. 

There is no question that a large part of football is the psychological mindset of a team, if you hammer the confidence of players into the ground you have a high chance of beating them. There is also no question that when it comes to a player being sent off the opposition have the clear upper hand having the extra player and if that team uses the extra man (which they did) intelligently, it can haunt the team which had the player sent off.

Fair play to Pedro, he believed he could have a right go at it despite the man being sent off, however unfortunately things didn't work out for him. This idea that Rangers lost because of a poor performance, I don't buy into that, in fact had Rangers had all 11 men on the park I've no doubt in my mind that Rangers would've went on to win the match and people would've been praising Rangers for their performance.

Sure there is room for improvement in the Rangers squad, no question about that, but when you see so many blatant fouls going against you such as the rugby challenge on Morelos yet the free kick going to Hibs, this psychologically destroys the mindset of the Rangers players, they are then left thinking "what's the point when they're getting away with murder here?" That they did, they were getting away with murder before the red card and throughout the game and on numerous occasions should have had at least 2 players sent off.

There is no question in my mind that there was a clear agenda against Rangers going into that match by the referee, you cannot explain it any other way, the fact he stood there watching Stokes with his hand around Jack's neck tells you this and watching Morelos being rugby tackled to the ground to give the Hibs player a free kick, cheating is cheating and there is no two ways about it, had there been a fair referee on the pitch, that match was for the taking and that referee knew it. 

So no, I'm not going to fault Pedro based on the second half, nor am I going to slate our defence as they can only go with whatever tactics Pedro sets out and to be fair to Pedro, the referee was against Rangers throughout the game. Rangers looked promising in the first half when we had 11 men on the park and I'm confident going into the Hearts game and this is where we bounce back. Yes there should be an official complaint and the red card appealed, but now's the time for revenge and it starts this weekend.

Oh and as for all the crap about they're talking, let them, I remain confident we can beat Celtic at Ibrox, league isn't over yet!

8 hours ago, rblair92 said:

I agree with bringing on Rossiter or Krancjar but would have done it and left Miller playing his natural game just in behind Morelos and not brought on Herrera  

3 hours ago, RangersScotty9 said:

There is no question that a large part of football is the psychological mindset of a team, if you hammer the confidence of players into the ground you have a high chance of beating them. There is also no question that when it comes to a player being sent off the opposition have the clear upper hand having the extra player and if that team uses the extra man (which they did) intelligently, it can haunt the team which had the player sent off.

Fair play to Pedro, he believed he could have a right go at it despite the man being sent off, however unfortunately things didn't work out for him. This idea that Rangers lost because of a poor performance, I don't buy into that, in fact had Rangers had all 11 men on the park I've no doubt in my mind that Rangers would've went on to win the match and people would've been praising Rangers for their performance.

Sure there is room for improvement in the Rangers squad, no question about that, but when you see so many blatant fouls going against you such as the rugby challenge on Morelos yet the free kick going to Hibs, this psychologically destroys the mindset of the Rangers players, they are then left thinking "what's the point when they're getting away with murder here?" That they did, they were getting away with murder before the red card and throughout the game and on numerous occasions should have had at least 2 players sent off.

There is no question in my mind that there was a clear agenda against Rangers going into that match by the referee, you cannot explain it any other way, the fact he stood there watching Stokes with his hand around Jack's neck tells you this and watching Morelos being rugby tackled to the ground to give the Hibs player a free kick, cheating is cheating and there is no two ways about it, had there been a fair referee on the pitch, that match was for the taking and that referee knew it. 

So no, I'm not going to fault Pedro based on the second half, nor am I going to slate our defence as they can only go with whatever tactics Pedro sets out and to be fair to Pedro, the referee was against Rangers throughout the game. Rangers looked promising in the first half when we had 11 men on the park and I'm confident going into the Hearts game and this is where we bounce back. Yes there should be an official complaint and the red card appealed, but now's the time for revenge and it starts this weekend.

Oh and as for all the crap about they're talking, let them, I remain confident we can beat Celtic at Ibrox, league isn't over yet!

i admire your optimisnm mate  but it does not wash with me  the manager is a dud and talks rubbish  keep this thread and come back to me in lets say 3 months and see how you feel then   if i am wrong i will be the first to hold my hands up but i have been watching gers for around 65 yrs  and this guy  will not cut it

Nowhere near as bad as people were saying. I've also been extremely critical of Caixinha like many others, and I would still say he is unlikely to be the man that can take us forward, but you can't blame the manager or team for yesterday's result. The ref was a disgrace and the game was a farce. If we are beat by Hearts next week then fair enough but using the hibs game alone to repeat the same stuff we heard after the last bad result is a bit unfair.

No, but we are clearly a work in progress. We are still naive and find it difficult to respond to adversity as a team. This team needs to develop the slickness of Advocaat's team with the camaraderie of Smith's first. There are very positive signs but we need to get back on track immediately.

Watching the highlights back again and the miller chip aside, it was a bit of luck that put them ahead. Miller had a shot deflected on to the post, they had a shot that deflected of two players then creeped in at the post. A little bit more luck and we would have been comfortably ahead.

Agree that the ref was a disgrace and probably cost us the game but a couple of things worry me. Firstly we had nobody showing any leadership after the sending off, although I appreciate it is tricky especially in midfield when you are a man down. Jack looks like a warrior who will get in about the opposition but others need to step up when he is not available.  Secondly, as others have asked, why keep Miller on in midfield (where he is pretty ineffectual) when he could have put Rossiter on, or Nico for that matter ?  We do not have any divine right to win games but we should have enough character to beat a very average Hivs, even with 10 men.  Pedro's decision making comes into question I think,  I saw no evidence of our 5 captains.

As for the bigot, we shouldn't have to highlight his antics and if the SPFL don't take action only then should we turn up the heat by highlighting his disgusting behaviour both past and present.

45 minutes ago, writingranger said:

No, but we are clearly a work in progress. We are still naive and find it difficult to respond to adversity as a team. This team needs to develop the slickness of Advocaat's team with the camaraderie of Smith's first. There are very positive signs but we need to get back on track immediately.

Well we aren't going to develop into a team with those 2 attributes on the budget we have, those teams cost a fortune to assemble with those characteristics coming from the managers style reflecting in the players he signed.

1 hour ago, plumbGER said:

Well we aren't going to develop into a team with those 2 attributes on the budget we have, those teams cost a fortune to assemble with those characteristics coming from the managers style reflecting in the players he signed.

stop it. I'm living in rainbow happy land.

Needing a change of tactics. We start games flying and then fizzle out after ten minutes and give away chances. Needing an extra man in midfield imo to cope with being outnumbered and help out the defence. The taigs will rip us apart if we don't change tactics and score about 3 in the first ten minutes.