Questions need asked of Scottish Referees in General

RFCRobertson

I honestly don't think there is a compotent referee in Scottish football. I had a watch at sportscene and 4/6 games had a dodgy ref call in it. 

Thistle v taigs - penalty not given. 

Us v hivs - whole load of bullshit

St johnstone v mwell - penalty given when it shouldn't have been 

Killie v hearts - player sent off despite being fouled 

And that's just this weekend not taken into account previous times when referees have had a shocker. 

There is just no consistency in any Scottish football Ref. Even the commonly biased hosts of sportscene were against every decision. It should've been a penalty. It should've been a sending off etc.

Referees need educating or video assistance. Because they are simply not fit to do their job. And i get it's high pressure and a hard job, however it happens again and again and what ends up happening is teams and fans are left frustrated at match officals who ruin the game and never have to explain or answer for their actions or lack of action. 

EDIT: as a slight add on, I read inside sport today and it was even stated in that that of the 6 red cards given over the weekend, only 1 was permitted, this 1 being the handball in the st johnstone and motherwell game. All others could've been yellows or handled better. In the case of Jack and Stokes, it was said that regardless of what jack got be it a warning, yellow or red. Stokes should've seen the exact same given his involvement in it. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dallas goes out of his way to show he has no perceived allegiance to us like his father was, that's why he shat it refereeing the taigs. 

Beaton is a blatant cheat, plain and simple. 

Craig Thomson yet again fucking up, surprise surprise. 

The last one I can't remember him giving really bad decisions but it isn't surprising when your top refs are as bad as that, what do we expect from the lesser known ones? 

Fully pro refs have worked, to a point, in England. Yeah mistakes get made.... but nowhere near as often as up here.

I see some of the fast tracked referees watching my local team in the juniors super league... and by god.... some don't even know the rules of the game. Some are truely atrocious.

Anybody regularly watching the juniors will know what I mean.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Fully pro refs have worked, to a point, in England. Yeah mistakes get made.... but nowhere near as often as up here.

I see some of the fast tracked referees watching my local team in the juniors super league... and by god.... some don't even know the rules of the game. Some are truely atrocious.

Said in another thread that surely there's enough money in Scottish Football to employ top standard pro refs for big games 

27 minutes ago, RFCRobertson said:

I honestly don't think there is a compotent referee in Scottish football. I had a watch at sportscene and 4/6 games had a dodgy ref call in it. 

And that's just this weekend not taken into account previous times when referees have had a shocker. 

There is just no consistency in any Scottish football Ref. Even the commonly biased hosts of sportscene were against every decision. It should've been a penalty. It should've been a sending off etc.

Referees need educating or video assistance. Because they are simply not fit to do their job. And i get it's high pressure and a hard job, however it happens again and again and what ends up happening is teams and fans are left frustrated at match officals who ruin the game and never have to explain or answer for their actions or lack of action. 

You're last two lines in you're post is possibly where the answer lies, from the time I started playing organized football albeit only at amateur level referees are mostly all arrogant bastards on some kind of power trip, and I bet it's the same no matter what level they get to, they are the only ones in football who don't appear to get any punishment unless they truly fuck right up, they are a protected species and to a certain extent I get that.

What I would like to see is after a game where they have made a debatable decision they should then be asked to explain why they made that decision but being that protected species the footballing authorities will never allow that to happen, however what if the TV companies made that a stipulation in there contracts, they do it with the clubs as part of the contract that someone from both clubs are expected to make a comment after the game, so why not the referees?, won't happen I know as it would more often than not show them up for the incompetents they are but it is a thought.

I don't buy into the bias/cheat narrative but the standard of ref in Scotland is fucking shocking and has been for at least the past 20-years.

Guys like Thomson, Collum, Beaton, Madden etc - all ridiculously bad.

I'm all for anything that improves the standard.

The really frustrating thing is that if we won yesterday and the ref didn't shite it and award that penalty to Thistle we could have been sitting top of the table for the first time in fuck knows how long. But that's life I suppose. 

24 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Said in another thread that surely there's enough money in Scottish Football to employ top standard pro refs for big games 

Think that's the way forward definitely. Better training, more accountability and should mean a higher standard. The current standard is shocking

55 minutes ago, kanjo said:

Referees should be given video technology because they cannot be trusted without it. It's that simple. 

Couldn't agree more, this for me is important in the game. It's no different to the goal line technology, all of these things should be made accessible in Scottish football to improve the fairness in the game and this is what supporters should be calling out for. It's become a shambles and Scottish football is bad enough as it is.

55 minutes ago, With Heart and Hand said:

Beaton gave up his work to concentrate on being a ref??????

8 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

If only you wrote the club1872 statements - well said - no conspiracy just poor quality refereeing all round 

8 hours ago, theiconicman said:

If the players and the fans can get to analyse ever detail of contentious decisions from multiple angles, in slow motion to make our judgement. The ref should to.

The players and fans in other leagues get to analyse every detail too, sure they have shocking decisions and poor refereeing in matches but overall the standard is much better. Here its like the refs go out of their way to fuck things up so much more consistently, standard in Scotland really is dogshite.

8 hours ago, RFCRobertson said:

This argument has existed for many years. The refereeing problem isn't one of corruption that's for sure. 

When Lennon was bitchin and moaning about the state of refereeing in the country a few years back he quoted several instances where the bheasts benefited from bad decisions as well as suffered and eventually we got refs from Obscure countries. 

You would think that would have went a long way to improve the standard in the top flight. It clearly hasn't. 

22 minutes ago, Hutton2008 said:

This argument has existed for many years. The refereeing problem isn't one of corruption that's for sure. 

When Lennon was bitchin and moaning about the state of refereeing in the country a few years back he quoted several instances where the bheasts benefited from bad decisions as well as suffered and eventually we got refs from Obscure countries. 

You would think that would have went a long way to improve the standard in the top flight. It clearly hasn't. 

Can you point me in the direction of the statement where peg teeth talked about bad decisions sellik did get in their favour?

Hibs should have had Stokes sent packing in 7mins, then the last defender against Morelos diving and close lining him at the same time yet Morelos neck got in the way so he awarded Hibs a free kick? Ffs in rugby that's a sending off but not against the mighty Glasgow Rangers ? Disgusting referee who should never be allowed near any of our games In the future   

Where is our board when we need them? Or are they gonna let this one slide like the cup final ? 

Time for Dave King to grow a set as he was present on Saturday and as our biggest shareholder and chairman the buck stops with him 

If title stripping is not something the football authorities and their active harm agitating influencers can achieve then preventing the opportunity to win future titles, and creating clear pathways for the other lot to win them, becomes a consideration perhaps.

Conspiracy or incompetence.  Take your pick.  The more times seemingly incompetent or bad decisions are given against us the less weight can be applied to classifying things as refereeing incompetence.    Who knows what quiet words of influence might be whispered from time to time.    I'm not saying they are, but I sure don't know that they aren't either.    Point is, sport has been shown time and time again to be subject to undue influences being applied to officials and to competitors to make sure results go the way of those applying influence.   

The more we see patently bad refereeing decisions - including referees failing to take action against other players when its obvious action should be taken - the more inevitable it becomes that sweeping things away as 'incompetence' becomes less reasonable to do.   Remember that Rangers players and staff were attacked at the end of the SC final and what action does the SFA take?   Nothing.    That said, what action did the Rangers Board take other than initial loud shouts of protest?    Err.....nothing.  

The game is under increasing scrutiny.   There is no strong reason why Rangers itself should not be applying deep scrutiny into seemingly incompetent actions by officials .......especially when a trend is emerging.

Incompetence and 'the random nature of football' as Warburton once infamously said, or are deeper influences at work?   Take your pick.   Whatever the views, imo these sorts of episodes need careful watching.  Titles are at stake.    And titles bring in big money.

9 hours ago, Badger said:

I've had refs who it's obvious have never kicked a ball in there life and have no understanding of the game at all. They think having a whistle somehow makes them experts.