When You Know Our History.

tannerall

Glasgow Council 1924.

So you've just opened a new football park,sports ground and facility for the council workers in the east end of Glasgow, right in the middle of the Parkhead district.

Only natural you'd invite the best team in the city to play the first game there, and you might just as well invite the the future King to do the kick off too. 

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/9hexNmFPU4vfdDtjjydSyg489033/GW1000H751

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The Corporation Transport side in the 60s and 70s played in the Combined Reserve League which featured Rangers B (our third team), Celtic 3rd XI, Queen's Park Strollers, Clydebank, Jordanhill, Drumchapel Amateurs and Glasgow University amongst others.

I remember Glasgow Uni having the occasional sojourn in the Scottish cup.

6 hours ago, tannerall said:

Glasgow Council 1924.

So you've just opened a new football park,sports ground and facility for the council workers in the east end of Glasgow, right in the middle of the Parkhead district.

Only natural you'd invite the best team in the city to play the first game there, and you might just as well invite the the future King to do the kick off too. 

http://image.wikifoundry.com/image/1/9hexNmFPU4vfdDtjjydSyg489033/GW1000H751

Looks like Helenvale Park.

That's an old picture. Trying to work it out. Used to stay at my aunt's house on Tollcross Road and could look down onto it. Think it was AstroTurf at one point in the eighties and had the wee stand.

I wouldn't even know what was down there these days. Imagine that happening over there in this day and age.